Hot Weather gear?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
allow me to rephrase what reiobard says..."if its too hot for gear, its too hot to ride" :thumbup:

I have a joe rocket mesh jacket that I wear year round.... whats cold weather again? :Flip::D

I agree with this, seriously too hot for gear.... to hot to ride. Dehydration is a sinister son of a B***h.
Of course fill up a Camelback with ice water, slip the hose under and into your helmet. Take a sip while riding, then you're go to go for a little while. Of course alcohol sipping is highly discourage, lol.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Tourmaster intake mesh jacket, but I am thinking of getting an Olympia airglide mesh jacket because I like the Olympia AST jacket that I have. The airglide is a little lighter than the tourmaster jacket, but I think the materials are better. Besides, it is available in neon yellow!

ccasey6

Reaction score
Visit site
Have any pics or links of that particular jacket? I just did a search for "scorpion stinger" and came up with some odd results...lol

Here are pictures of the front and back of my jacket. It is a great jacket and I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing is here in the D.C. area with the high temperatures and high humidity, I think it is going to be too much. That is why I'm looking into a textile or mesh jacket (Alpinestar Sniper).

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I gave up on mesh a while back, after seeing from others' accident pictures how it could 'melt' when running along the pavement, picking up heat. I thought about pizza cheese burning the roof of my mouth, then multiplied that by a few factors.

I have a Teknic Violator vented and perforated leather jacket. I'm very pleased with the quality and construction; it also comes with Knox armor out of the box. My Racer High End gloves are very vented to start with (I need to wear nitrile gloves underneath when it isn't warm out), and my pants are well-vented, too (a nice pair of women's leather pants that aren't made anymore). My boots and pants protect me from the heat blast from the headers and radiator, which is no small concern.

Good gear keeps me shaded from the sun while letting air flow over me to cool me off. It's the best of all worlds. :)

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I agree with madmanmaigret and blue monday. I have a Moto GP mesh jacket with a removable liner in a nice blue that matches my bike. In the winter I just throw on a bottom layer of polypro/ a middle layer of cotton** thermal uppers, and my jacket.

This year I rode in 19 degree weather and 75 degree weather (still had the liner on in 75) but the humidity wasn't all that bad. Being down for the past month that has changed but I have a feeling that I will be just fine.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I posted a thread last summer about my BMW Airflow 2 boots, I'll mention them again here.
They're fantastic! They have several "patches" of mesh build into different areas which allow air in; what I didn't see until later in the season is that the liner throughout the boot is similar to a furnace filter: bulky but porous. I got them the day before my first MSF course; while standing in the parking lot there was a slight crossbreeze and I could feel the wind blowing around my feet, between my toes and up my legs; wonderful! Highly recommended, even at their "BMW" price... :Sport:
I wear a TourMaster "Intake" jacket during the summer, it's great until you stop at a red light, although I imagine all jackets have that problem.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So today was in the high 70+, and I have my perforated leather jacket on. It's gets a good amount of air through it while riding, but off course on a stop it gets muggy. So tonight I decided to do the next best thing to "Hot Weather gear", I took off my CalSci 8+ touring shield and replaced the stock shield back in. Voila, instant air conditioning. I did say before that when it gets hot the stock shield comes right back and save the touring shield for say..... touring, lol. Very Nice indeed.:D

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to look for if you decide to shop for mesh is some kind of abrasion resistant material on the elbows and shoulders. The Intake has decent ballistic nylon, and the GX air has leather.

The Intake jacket has ballistic polyester, not nylon. Nylon is tougher than polyester. When shopping for abrasion resistant mesh, kevlar is better than cordura (nylon) is better than polyester.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with this, seriously too hot for gear.... to hot to ride. Dehydration is a sinister son of a B***h.
Of course fill up a Camelback with ice water, slip the hose under and into your helmet. Take a sip while riding, then you're go to go for a little while. Of course alcohol sipping is highly discourage, lol.
This is an excellent point; once you feel thirsty you have already lost 10% of vital internal fluid. Lose 20% and you are in severe trouble. Reaction times will slow, thinking will become difficult. So if you’re out in the heat stop often and take on fluids. I think Defy has mentioned this before in the track day thread.

H

HavBlue

allow me to rephrase what Reiobard says..."if its too hot for gear, its too hot to ride"

I am one of those who changes gear and ride styles as things get hotter. While living in the California desert areas where temps in the summer could easily bounce over 110 degrees I may have been riding with a FF helmet on, gloves, a long sleeve shirt, jeans and mesh sneakers. I may also have been riding the Sporty with fingerless gloves, a half shell DOT helmet and a short sleeve t-shirt but during those times my riding style was quite different too. I am also still very alive and riding in the same manner here in the humid Kentucky weather. Granted, you will always be safer with protective gear but having that gear on or off doesn't mean you will be in an accident. As always we ride to our comfort level and some folks aren't comfortable riding without a full compliment of gear. I on the other hand would never stop riding simply because I didn't have a jacket, gloves and so on. This would obviously appear to be stupid to some and to others quite normal. The bottom line is simply this, gear does not make you safe, you make yourself safe and your attitude while riding has a huge effect on that safety factor because you won't need that gear if you don't go down.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
The bottom line is simply this, gear does not make you safe, you make yourself safe and your attitude while riding has a huge effect on that safety factor because you won't need that gear if you don't go down.

Yep, and as long as you have a good attitude, you'll never crash. :)

For myself, I make sure I have protective gear that spans the seasons. Though I think we can decrease the chance of crashing by building our skills and paying attention, I do not believe we can ever bring that chance even close to zero. It's everyone's own choice as to whether or not to roll the dice, and I choose to be protected for if and when the unexpected bit of craziness happens.