hi all new here from williamsport pa

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
hi everyone I'm new to the forums here this is my fz6 project i have had for a little bit

0622091223.jpg

i will be making a new tail for it soon as well as fitting an r6 gas tank to it mostly just wanted to stop in and say hi
sorry about the ****ty cell phone pic

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Nice looking bike you have there. Check out the streetfighter subforum here to get some ideas and help with your project, as well as helping others with theirs. Also, if you can, we'd love to hear about what all has been done to the bike! Lets start with the forks shall we?

PS: And a few more pictures would be much appreciated :D
-Manas

Last edited:
S

sm00thpapa

Welcome and good luck with the bike project. Glad to have you here.

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
The front end is from a 2007 gsxr to make the triples work i filed down the top of the steering stem so the upper bearing from the fz6 could still be used the bottom bearings are the same. lemme go out to the garage and snap a few more pics

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
07010921002.jpg

0701092059.jpg

i only got to snap 2 then my phone died it has a modified subframe (which still needs to be braced), the tail i glassed up myself (im makin a new one i dont really care for how that one came out), soon will have a modded r6 gas tank, it also has an r6 header (99-02) the ones without the cats :D and i would like to find a z1000 headlight to put on it. If i cant find a z1000 headlight cuz they're kinda hard to come by i will just glass something up to hold 2 stacked projectors

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pictures! Looks like the bike took a pretty bad hit huh? Hopefully you weren't on it when that happened.
Post updates so we can see how it's coming along. Check in the street fighter section, I am sure Wavex (the moderator for that section ) can help you out.

Good luck with the project.

Btw, the swingarm stickers have to go. My 2 cents :thumbup:

-Manas.

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the good feedback guys here in about another week or so i will be making a thread in the streetfighter section when i start back to work on it taking a little break right now summer classes just started :(

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome:Nice mods, nice glasswork, I know you said you were'nt happy with the tail, but still nice glasswork :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing more.

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you man from a distance it looks good but when you get up close you can tell i didnt really take my time with it its only the second time i have worked with the stuff and the first time i used glass to make a one off peice the next one will be better i promise

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
thank you man from a distance it looks good but when you get up close you can tell i didnt really take my time with it its only the second time i have worked with the stuff and the first time i used glass to make a one off peice the next one will be better i promise

Right on :thumbup: I used to do it, as well as sheetmetal, on helicopters in the Army, like 20 years ago. I'm hoping to get back into it to do some of my own piece work for the bike.

Have you looked into doing any carbon fiber? The technique is pretty much the same unless you want to take the added step of putting it in an autoclave to remove all of the miniscule (unseen) air bubbles.

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
i have considered it but right know cf is a little out of my budget and before i start working with it i wanna make sure i can do it close to flawlessly at some point though thats in my plans to make complete 1 off bodywork from cf including a tank cover then make my own tank from aluminum since gas and resin dont seem to get along so well.... sounds like when you were with the army they had you doin some pretty fun stuff

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
i have considered it but right know cf is a little out of my budget and before i start working with it i wanna make sure i can do it close to flawlessly at some point though thats in my plans to make complete 1 off bodywork from cf including a tank cover then make my own tank from aluminum since gas and resin dont seem to get along so well.... sounds like when you were with the army they had you doin some pretty fun stuff

That makes sense :thumbup:.

Yeah, I worked in a Depot level unit, stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii and worked on Wheeler Airforce base. I was an Airframe Structural Repairman, so being at a Depot level unit we could literally rebuild the helicopters from the ground up, including structural members.

I got to fab alot of stuff out of fiberglass, kevlar, aluminum sheetmetal, honeycomb, etc... It's been so long:(, I'm hoping some of the skills come back when I start making parts for the bike.

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
i bet they will fab skills arent one of those things you just lose at least i dont think so at first you may be a little rusty but as soon as you get into it it just all comes back to you ... but then again i could be totally wrong i havent been fabbing stuff all of that long to know thats just kinda how i imagine it im still a youngin im only 20