Hi all, from a long time Fazer owner

Arfa

Reaction score
www.beginnerbiker.com
Just signed up, figured I'd introduce myself. Picked up my first Fazer 8 years ago - a 2003 FZS600 - my first bike! Did me well for several years, learnt a lot, had a the odd mishap, but always managed to fix it up and keep going. About 1.5 years ago I swapped to a FZ6 S2 2007 - mainly due to new ULEZ emissions regs in London. Another great bike, and again a solid commuter for London and still lots of fun on the twisties out of town at weekends.

Welsh-hills-above-the-mist.jpg

Not modded the FZ6 much, just heated grips, Givi rack and a super loud air horn hidden at front. Got a new DID chain to fit and need some fresh tyres - just finished off some Road 5s, considering some Metz M9RR next as I fancy something slightly stickier and I really liked the M7RR's on my old FZS600. Really like to improve the suspension, but it's a big outlay for an old bike. Been quoted £1k for a Nitron shock with external preload, front fork service/refresh and professional setup. Quite a bit for a bike only worth £2-2.5k...

I also write a blog: Beginner Biker Adventures (link in profile) with some more stuff about my Fazer's, if you're interested.

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Suspension upgrade is well worth it, I'm 16 stone, front was bottoming out at times, not anymore, Congrats or your new/old bike, I've been riding for 20 years Fz6 is best bike I ever owned I even prefer it a gsxr750 I had.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO suspension improvements are worth it regardless of the market value of the bike. I wouldn't pay for new "big brand" parts but there are other cheaper options. The bare minimum I'd do is a cartridge emulator + rebuild + springs of the correct rate. With some luck and effort you might get the springs almost for free, by adjusting the spacers to fit springs from another model that has 43mm forks.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators (FEGV S4101) cost $140 on Amazon and springs are an additional $90. They completely transform the bike. There are knock off GVE’s for less money, but you’d be on your own for setup and support. 3 of the 4 bikes in my garage have damping rod forks...and all have GVE’s. I’ve used them over a dozen times.

Arfa

Reaction score
www.beginnerbiker.com
Countryside: That were a shot from the Welsh hills near Llanbister on trip up to see family that way. Early morning climb out of the misty valleys to get out above into the sun.

Suspension wise: TBH I've only really been looking at shock replacements thus far, Hagon (as their factory is local to me) and Nitron. Hagon are good quality, but definitely a budget option compared to Niton, Ohlins, Wilbers etc. Not really investigated fork upgrades much - a local Suspension shop didn't have anything to offer my FZ6. :-/

Another mod I forgot to mention I did like, was swapping the clutch arm for one off an MT07 (FZ07 in US?). It's a straight swap, but slightly longer, so more leverage and thus lightens the clutch lever a bit. Well worth £20 quid.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really investigated fork upgrades much - a local Suspension shop didn't have anything to offer my FZ6. :-/

I just gave you the necessary part number for the GVE. Give me your weight and I'll tell you what spring to order as well (it's all on racetech.com). It's an easy 3 hour job from start to finish. Why pay someone if you can do it yourself. You just need some hex keys (to remove the damping rod), a socket set (to remove forks), a drill with a 3/8" or 10mm bit (to drill out the damping rod), a hacksaw to cut a new spacer (15mm of preload) and 2 liters of 15wt fork oil.

Arfa

Reaction score
www.beginnerbiker.com
Just checking out the Racetech GVE's - looks like a good option and appears I can source them easily enough in the UK from shocktech.co.uk for £169. The dust seals on my forks are just starting to crumble a little around the edges, so could be a good time to just sort seals and fit these together. TBH I'd probably get the job done at a local garage, I've not done much work on forks before and don't have a garage/workshop to do the job, I would have to do all work on my drive way.

Weight wise, I'm 79Kg (not in bike gear). Bike often has Givi rack and top box. Periodically carry a pillion, similar weight to me.

Would you recommend upgrading the forks before rear shock?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With GVE's you want to use straight-rate springs. For your weight a rate of 0.85kg/mm would be correct. The springs would need to be 37mm diameter x 320mm in length. This equates to Racetech part number FRSP S3732085 - but you needn't stick with Racetech springs.

As long as you still have the center stand installed on the bike, this job can be done in a driveway.

I would upgrade the forks over the shock. The OEM shock sucks, but to me, the OEM front forks are spooky - lots of brake dive, poor feedback & a harsh ride.

Arfa

Reaction score
www.beginnerbiker.com
Cool, many thanks for the info! I'Il hunt down a UK supplier of parts and price up the whole job and make some decisions ready for pay day!

Arfa

Reaction score
www.beginnerbiker.com
Amazon.co.uk and ebay.co.uk only have US sellers of Racetech products, all with crazy high delivery prices. Plus I'd get stumped for VAT and import duty upon arrival on top of that. Prices at the dealer I linked to seem to be about on par for UK stockists, and will likely be cheapest option for me overall. I used to have fairly regular work trips to the US and have had bike stuff delivered to my hotel on past trips, but I can't see myself flying to the US for quite some time given current climate... :-(

Arfa

Reaction score
www.beginnerbiker.com
Goodies arrived! ;-)

Racetech Emulators.jpeg

PDQ (place I linked to above) had a 20% sale on for summer, so could hardly resist. Bike is currently with my local mechanic for fitment and full fork service (new seals etc), should have bike back for weekend.
Also ordered a Nitron shock too, but they're on back order so will be fitting that next month.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. Make sure your mechanic uses 15wt fork oil, and uses (as a baseline) 15mm of preload on the fork springs. Regarding the GVE's, I found that 3 turns of preload works well with a 130mm airgap. Have the mechanic drill out the existing holes in the damping rod to 10mm and then add two more out of phase about 25mm above the existing holes. You want to make sure that the damping rod isn't able to restrict flow in any way. The GVE will now take care of compression damping on a rate-based basis. The weight of the oil will regulate the rebound damping. The airgap (the amount of oil in the fork) will determine how much of the fork stroke is usable. The Racetech install instructions suggest 120mm air gap, (more oil) but I found that I was only using 80% of the stroke under extreme braking. Reducing the oil height allows me to get into the 90% range which is the sweet spot.

Last edited:

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators (FEGV S4101) cost $140 on Amazon and springs are an additional $90. They completely transform the bike. There are knock off GVE’s for less money, but you’d be on your own for setup and support. 3 of the 4 bikes in my garage have damping rod forks...and all have GVE’s. I’ve used them over a dozen times.

Are they that good Gary? I put in .90kg race tech springs 10w oil, Im say 100kg, Mechanic told me not to go for 1.00 kg or even .95's I took his advice he suggested the .90's Front in much much better, excellent on motorways excellent going over pot holes, But slightly slightly bumpy on B roads with shit surfaces, I guess thats the trade off? Gary would the GVE help with that? My suspension was done by a Ducati expert mechanic