Hey, I thought smoking in public was illegal !

eddiekay

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought my second FZ...an '05 with 5k for $3k with a pipe and new tires !
Notice something I never saw on my original bike:
The after market pipe...one tube runs way hotter than the other and when shut down....for a few seconds...it smokes. Smoke is more white or gray than blue or black. Def not condensation as i noticed it after about 2 hours of riding...oil looks clean but haven't checked coolant yet. Otherwise, run perfect, sounds perfect, normal gas mileage. Anyone had a similar experience.
BTW...previous owner told be that he did not make any changes to the FI when "the dealer" installed the pipe ????

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What "brand" of pipe does it have. The "Y" joint (as it splits from 1 pipe back into 2 to join the cans) on some models are more of a sideways "T" pipe, therefore most of the exhaust gasses escape through the right side pipe making it run hotter.

Also, how old is the pipe? (If it's only new, could just be oil, grime etc from manufacturing process). I wouldn't be too concerned with the smoke, I'd say it's just a result of that side running hotter. If you are worried, get a dealer or someone who knows lots about bikes to take a look.
:rockon:

eddiekay

Reaction score
Visit site
It's an M4 pipe and i don't know for sure when it was put on....a while ago though as the pipe ends have some minor pitting.
Gotta check the coolant tomorrow....that'll tell me what I'm most concerned about ?
Thanks for your reply.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
My Two Bros does this too. I think it's just trapped gases slowly escaping from the packing material as it cools down. It could also be some exhaust gases leftover in the rest of the tubing, slowly making it's way out. It's noticeable on after-market exhausts, as they're just straight through designs. No baffles or anything to trap all that inside. Nothing to worry about. Just the nature of the beast!

eddiekay

Reaction score
Visit site
Stumbles got it right on first try....pipe is a right angle-ish Y...kinda like a "t" with one arm missing... and the hotter tube is the straight one so the gases are favoring that tube. Novaks confirms what a few of my buds have told me too...aftermarket pipes often smoke and best of all....the water coming out of the pipe @ start up is not oily .
Thanks to both of you for sharing your experience.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an m4 exhaust on my bike too, it's normal for it to smoke on shutdown and get hot on the right side. There y-pipe design is so bad the left can is almost just for show.