Help with Overflow Hose/Pipe

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, just wondered if anyone might be able to help, I kept hearing a tapping sound coming from my chain recently, so had a chance to investigate today, only to find what I think is the fuel overflow pipe chewed in half by rubbing against the chain.

So it is now split, and just about come apart. I think is the overflow, as it is on left hand side of bike, and I follow it down from the fuel tank, then runs across middle of bike, under coolant, and finishes at right hand side of bike where the end is for liquid to come out.

I have looked online, but cant seem to locate the part, and checked my Haynes but doesnt really say much about it in there. If is something can do myself, will attempt it, as dont fancy being charged labour for a new one fitted if easy.

Cheers!

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers for that, very useful! I have not got much in the way of a garage and tools, so hinging tank up maybe a problem, but will see if can get a mate to help, thanks again!

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
p.s in the mean time, if anything was to come out of overflow, it would drip onto left hand side of bike, am guessing be alright to use to say take it to a mates to fix. Nothing has ever come out of it whilst I have had it.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't overfill it and it'll be ok I'm sure.

Hinging the tank up is detailed in the owners handbook.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I had that overflow hose on the side with the chain as well. I did not like it there. Thought it was a risk of bumping the chain(which was your case) so I rerouted it to the right side of the bike (as you sit on it) and bundled the three different overflow hoses together and re-cut them to match in length.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello mate.
Lifting the tank is no biggie. You'll need a set of hex keys and a small socket set.
At the front of the tank there are 2 bolts that hold it down just behind the yoke. About 4" apart. Undo those. Next take the seat off to reveal the rear bracket of the tank. See there's a cross bolt (10mm socket) undo that and withdraw the bolt. Your tank is now free to lift.
Carefully lift the rear clear of its fixing point (up an inch or so) and slide the tank rearwards a couple of inches. This is so the tank clears the side pods of the fairing.
Now you can lift the front quite high. Some people prefer at this point to slot the rear bolt back in to use it as a hinge. It will stop the tank from tipping over sideways although I've not had a problem with it done with care. A small tip would be that you don't fill up then decide to work on the tank.;)

Once the tank is up at an angle find something to chock it up with. A block of wood is useful here.
You now have access to the underside of the tank/battery etc.
Only thing to remember though is when reversing the process you must make sure the little hoses and the fuel pipe are not kinked or trapped.
In reality they feed back quite nicely with little help.

All done at the side of the road with 2 simple tools!:cheer:
Hope this helps.