Help with Coolant change

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Step 2 is Remove coolant reservoir tank, is it really that straight forward?

Step 6 is Remove coolant drain bolt (water pump) 1 (along with the copper washer). This is right by the belly pan, are there any issues I should know about?

Step 12 is Fill cooling system, I assume this is at the radiator since the whole system is dry?

Also aprox how long should this take? Trying to decide if I can do it after work before it gets dark or need to wait till the weekend.

Thanks all

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Step 2 is Remove coolant reservoir tank, is it really that straight forward?

Step 6 is Remove coolant drain bolt (water pump) 1 (along with the copper washer). This is right by the belly pan, are there any issues I should know about?

Step 12 is Fill cooling system, I assume this is at the radiator since the whole system is dry?

Also aprox how long should this take? Trying to decide if I can do it after work before it gets dark or need to wait till the weekend.

Thanks all

Yes it really is that simple. 1 bolt.

Take off your belly pan. The drain bolt is the lowest point in the cooling system. DO NOT OVER TOGHTEN 7 ft lbs

Fill at radiator. If you flushed the system, make sure you end up with a 50/50 mix. If you are just doing a drain and fill, I find it easier to mix the water and coolant in a seperate container. Always use distilled water.

The cooling system capacity is 2.11 US qt, and the overflow tank holds .26 us qts.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the 06 and prior the tank is under the seat and a bit of a pain, but I believe on the 07 and later they moved it to the front of the engine.

Just remove the drain plug but not all the way. If you have taken the cap off and just pull the plug the fluid will shoot out an may miss the drain pan.

But that is it, very easy. I need to do mine again since it has been 12 months.

+1 on only use distilled water!

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't time myself but it didn't take too long. I drained the system then flushed it, then a 50/50 mix with distilled water. Pretty simple.

Doc.

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the Yamalube pre mix...I believe its 60/40...I would like to flush and refill. This should be fine right? Thanks

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You will be just fine using a Yamaha product. I think I used Peak it's Aluminum engine safe. I called the factory and talk to tech support before I did it. Be sure to flush the engine before replacing the coolant. It's really easy. Good Luck.

Doc

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
One crucial point. Afterwards go for a ride taking in a couple of bends to shake it all about then once back check the level in your reservoir. Air will have escaped the system and the level will almost certainly be lower than the bottom line so just top it up a bit more.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone. Did the coolant this weekend on my '06. If anyone has a choice between an 06 and an 07 buy an 07 just for the reservoir location. This was my first time with this one and man was it a pain to get to the bolts. Once you figure out the best way to get a wrench on them it goes much faster. Also had one minor scare I thought the locking mechanism for it was attached and when I pulled the radiator cap off it fell off. Unfortunately because how I had my arm positioned I couldn't actually see what I was doing and only heard the ding ding ding as the locking thing fell. After looking for it on the ground in all directions for some time and not finding it I was afraid it had fallen into the radiator. I started to disconnect the hoses and such as was seconds away from doing some serious work when out of the corner of my eye I notice it. It had somehow fallen and travelled down the headers and was laying on top of them where all four come together!!???!

Very glad I did the change out too. I think the previous owner had mixed different types of coolants :(