Help - Sticky Ignition

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright yall I know this is a common problem for the Fz6. I've had a sticky ignition since about 5,000 miles; I'm sure the fact that I ride rain or shine every day doesn't help the fact.

Well I was going through a rough patch for the past 6 months, but I just got an internship at this company called Cyoptics and finally getting out my rut. So I bought sprockets because I know I need sprockets....next on my list is dealing with my ignition - so I'm trying to pull together as much information as I can before I deal with it.

The other day I got out of work at midnight - in the pouring rain/thunderstorms - and my ignition was STUCK. I literally tried for 15 minutes to get the key to turn and I couldn't get it for the life of me. I had to call a friend and pay him to drive 40 minutes to my job in the middle of the night with a can of WD40 and it definitely helped. I got the key turned and got home and haven't had an issue since....but there are days where I cannot turn the key for life of me, and it seems to be getting progressively worse.

So I want to replace the entire ignition - but my only concern is that if I replace it with the OEM ignition - I will just start to experience the same issues again in no time because I feel its poorly designed to repel water. Have any of you dealt with the sticky ignition? Any of you replaced it with the OEM ignition? If so did this help your issue or did it just resurface the same problems again?

I was considering throwing on a different ignition - but I'm not sure what would be compatible. Do any of you know an aftermarket company that makes compatible ignitions for the FZ6 that are quality and will withstand weathering?

Did any of you have the ignition rebuilt? How did that work for you?

In any case - I need to deal with the ignition issue because the bike only has 25k miles on it - and is mechanically sound. After replacing the sprockets - I'm optimistic the low RPM chatter will cease. She's mechanically sound with oil changes every spring for the past 4 years I've owned her. Fresh tires every season as well. I've kept as good care of her as I possibly could so there really aren't any major issues with the bike - just the ignition is really irritating. I can't be running the risk nightly of getting out of work and wondering if I'll be able to turn the key when I get out.

So any input regarding solutions or alternatives is greatly appreciated.

And please don't tell me just to jiggle the key - I been jiggling it for 4 years and its time to deal with the issue lol. Thanks

-Matt

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if the OEM design is faulty, putting another OEM part in there will just cause the same issue. The PO on my bike had the ignition changed to combat this problem. Guess what it did when I bought it? And aftermarket ignitions would require a reprogrammed or aftermarket ECU. The way I see it, you're going to be in over a grand to "maybe" fix the problem.

When I couldn't turn my ignition, I'd just take the key out, flip it over, maybe give it a little tap, and it worked fine. I never saw it as an issue, personally, being a daily rider myself.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I do the same as you ride every day rain or shine. I lube my ignition about once every 2 weeks with kroil. I just spray a bit right down inside and then work the key a few times. I also pull the key out and wipe off all the dirt that comes off after the kroil until the key comes out clean.

If all else fails and the ignition still won't turn I'll pull the key out and spin it 180 and it will work fine after that. I don't know why it works it just does lol

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
That's usually what I do - flip the key 180 degrees and it usually works. Just the past 3 weeks its gotten noticeably bad. Kroil - is that like a WD40 type lube?

I know all the tricks to get the key to turn on my bike, press down, turn right, slight lift, apply leverage towards the tank. I've been dealing with it for almost 4 years but I figured there's gotta be a solution other than just lubing it up - but if I'm lookin at a grand - EFF that.

What is this kroil you speak of? Any advantages of using that over WD40...or is WD40 alright?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
just remember wd40 isn't realy a lube

i use silicone lube, and shake the key from side to side whilst turning it

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Kroil makes wd40 seem like water. It's the BEST commercial penetrating lube out there according to a popular mechanics test. It can get down into microscopic spaces to lube them and not only does it penetrate and lube it dissolves corrosion and rust for easier cleaning. It's expensive but worth every penny, one can has lasted me over 2 years now because a little dab will do ya.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright yall I know this is a common problem for the Fz6. I've had a sticky ignition since about 5,000 miles; I'm sure the fact that I ride rain or shine every day doesn't help the fact.

Well I was going through a rough patch for the past 6 months, but I just got an internship at this company called Cyoptics and finally getting out my rut. So I bought sprockets because I know I need sprockets....next on my list is dealing with my ignition - so I'm trying to pull together as much information as I can before I deal with it.

The other day I got out of work at midnight - in the pouring rain/thunderstorms - and my ignition was STUCK. I literally tried for 15 minutes to get the key to turn and I couldn't get it for the life of me. I had to call a friend and pay him to drive 40 minutes to my job in the middle of the night with a can of WD40 and it definitely helped. I got the key turned and got home and haven't had an issue since....but there are days where I cannot turn the key for life of me, and it seems to be getting progressively worse.

So I want to replace the entire ignition - but my only concern is that if I replace it with the OEM ignition - I will just start to experience the same issues again in no time because I feel its poorly designed to repel water. Have any of you dealt with the sticky ignition? Any of you replaced it with the OEM ignition? If so did this help your issue or did it just resurface the same problems again?

I was considering throwing on a different ignition - but I'm not sure what would be compatible. Do any of you know an aftermarket company that makes compatible ignitions for the FZ6 that are quality and will withstand weathering?

Did any of you have the ignition rebuilt? How did that work for you?

In any case - I need to deal with the ignition issue because the bike only has 25k miles on it - and is mechanically sound. After replacing the sprockets - I'm optimistic the low RPM chatter will cease. She's mechanically sound with oil changes every spring for the past 4 years I've owned her. Fresh tires every season as well. I've kept as good care of her as I possibly could so there really aren't any major issues with the bike - just the ignition is really irritating. I can't be running the risk nightly of getting out of work and wondering if I'll be able to turn the key when I get out.

So any input regarding solutions or alternatives is greatly appreciated.

And please don't tell me just to jiggle the key - I been jiggling it for 4 years and its time to deal with the issue lol. Thanks

-Matt
Firstly what sort of a mate charges you to come and get you out the 5hit.
Secondly I have this issue with the FZ6. We get shed loads of rain in Ireland so the bike is wet 70% of the time.
I use a spray lubricant copper grease to keep the igniting tip top. Give it a squirt once a month and no problems. I also discovered that when the ignition was sticky I had slightly twisted the key.
So I stuck the key in a vice and gave it a little straighten. This helped nearly as much as lubing the ignition barrel.
Good luck mate,
Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if the OEM design is faulty, putting another OEM part in there will just cause the same issue. The PO on my bike had the ignition changed to combat this problem. Guess what it did when I bought it? And aftermarket ignitions would require a reprogrammed or aftermarket ECU. The way I see it, you're going to be in over a grand to "maybe" fix the problem.

When I couldn't turn my ignition, I'd just take the key out, flip it over, maybe give it a little tap, and it worked fine. I never saw it as an issue, personally, being a daily rider myself.

US. FZ6 doesn't use an immobilizer like euro bikes so there's no chip and associated electronics.

just remember wd40 isn't realy a lube

i use silicone lube, and shake the key from side to side whilst turning it

Exactly, the WD stands for water displacement and WD40 works great as an initial emulsifier to get gummed up mechanisms moving again but you should follow up with an additional lube and I would also choose silicone lube for the tumbler.

I'd put some rags under the ignition switch to catch overflow and stick the straw into the key slot and flood out any old lubes and debris. Work the key in and out and turn it as you flush it out. Then silicone. :D

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the key is the problem...do you have the other key? Yamaha supplies 2 with every new bike. If in doubt get a fresh key cut at the dealer and try that first.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks yall.

I have 2 keys, and I've tried the spare and it still has the same issue :( But seems like lubing it up will be the way to go. Thanks for the input and I'll get on it asap.

And Nelly, my buddy didn't charge me - I paid him for the hastle, I woke him up in the middle of the night and had him drive 40 minutes, the least I could do was throw him 20$ for saving me.

Thanks again guys.

SanityD

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issue with my ignition. Thought is was the key but it happened with both. I WD40'ed the <bleep> out of it, let it dry and then sprayed the <bleep> out of it with a silicon lube. My ignition is now silky smooth. I lube it once a month and anytime I get caught in rain, it has been working great since I started doing that. I make it part of my monthly maintenance checks.:rockon: