help please !

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got home. was stranded with a large hex screw thru front tire of '06 FZ6 ("new" carry over. I've only got 1,500 miles on tires) Plug unmlikely to work. (ripped up bad) Anyway, the MC has a front 170 70 17 R dunlop sportmax tires (orginal). Local dealership does not have one ikn stock and quotes over $300 bucks for one..sems high ?

Trying to sell me a metz and some other brands I'm unfamiliar with, ranging from $140 to $ 240.

Q? Would it be an issue to "mix" tire brands as it relates to handling, etc or is this okay. Other issues ? recommendation ?

I will go get the bike in the morning and either bring home and order a tire or put a different tire on depending on advice of some of you folks. I know little about this issue. I live 35 miles from any shop.

Anyone have recommendations on tires, cost projection, etc ? (by early A.M.)

I occassionally ride agressively in the twisties, but not on a track. I communte and sometimes push it in the corners or rarely above triple digits and then only for shor bursts. So I'm looking for good wear and traction, especially in the rain, more thaan "hard riding".

Help please !

Last edited:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone would probably have a different opinion on it but if it were I, I wouldn't. But It's probably fine to do since there is only one tire you are dealing with. I don't know what is accepted in the motorcycle industry and how it would affect the dynamics if you had two different tires with different compounds and designs. If it were an auto I wouldn't replace just one tire on an axle. Both should match.

W

wrightme43

Tire profiles are matched front and rear in each tire spec. Stick with one type front and rear.

its a 120/70-ZR17 on the front.

Match whats you gots or swap to two new ones you like better.

I would highly reccomend pilot road or pilot road2 or avon storm or any one of the good sport touring tires.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding mixing tires front to rear, that's almost as hotly debated as what brand of oil to use and what octane of gas to run. Based on watching these (often intelligent) debates, to sum up my take on the situation: the concerns are that they're designed to work together for a purpose, so if you really push it the less-sticky tire will give out before the other, there may be considerations in terms of water displacement differing, etc. However, I haven't seen concrete evidence of whether or not those concerns would ever be even noticeable or a problem for an ordinary street rider like myself, assuming the intended purpose of the tire is roughly comparable.

I'm comfortable running different tires front/rear (stocker front, Metzler Sportec M3 rear). There was a poll recently (check search results) that indicated I'm not alone, and a fair number of us do it and still manage to keep the bike upright ;) I personally view it as a temporary solution until they both wear out and I can get the matched set I want.

All I can say in the end is spend a little time on search to gather wisdom from others (since you probably don't have time to wait for lots of responses to this thread) and make your best judgement call. :thumbup:

As for price, my rear was installed almost a year ago, I think it was like $260 or so if my sketchy memory is remotely accurate.

Good luck to you in your decision! :Flash:

fzsnuh

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, if you were close to me, I'd give you my original Dunlop. I took them off my bike in May with 2,500 miles on them. I put on Bridgestone BT016's for a couple of track days and I love them.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I run different brands front and back, but I can't say that I'm thrilled with the idea of running different profiles. I'd rather run same front and rear, but I've never had a moment where I felt uncomfortable on the road, and haven't shelled out the money for a new front yet. Eventually I'll pair the tires up again.

Anything more than $150 for a front tire sounds outrageous, so I hope those quotes of $250+ are for front and rear. Most performance front tires from Cycle Gear will run $100-$130. There are a lot of good online retailers that will sell pairs with free shipping for $250-$300.

Personally I'd shop around or press them for better pricing.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tire profiles are matched front and rear in each tire spec. Stick with one type front and rear.

its a 120/70-ZR17 on the front.

Match whats you gots or swap to two new ones you like better.

I would highly reccomend pilot road or pilot road2 or avon storm or any one of the good sport touring tires.

+1000 on the pilot road2 I had a nail in the rear and didnt like the idea of mixing tires so i put the 2CTs on and they are an amzing tire. Great wet and dry traction. I feel they are worth the money for the whole set.

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice from all of you, and I did shop around on the net and found the same tire for 116 bucks with free delivery. For now, because of the low miliage, I'll replace the front with the same set tire, as I'm a little uncomfortable with different tires on the bike. Next time I'll be reviewing the posts for a good set, although I've had no problems with these so far. To correct my error, the front tire is a Dunlop 120 70 zr mc 35 W, B rating.

I decided deal with the hazzle of having to haul the bike home and now await my tire. Should be here in under 4 days ! Then I'll haul it back. (don't have the tools, etc...or maybe confidence to fight this type of work)

What I have found out and am wondering about, is that there seem to be several different "stock" tires that came on the FZ6 ? Aside from the year issue I mean. Anyone else here have an '06 FZ6 ? What tire was on it when you bought yours ? Just curious. Also, if anyone has had the tire I do, what don't you like about it (before I find out the hard way)

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice from all of you, and I did shop around on the net and found the same tire for 116 bucks with free delivery. For now, because of the low miliage, I'll replace the front with the same set tire, as I'm a little uncomfortable with different tires on the bike. Next time I'll be reviewing the posts for a good set, although I've had no problems with these so far. To correct my error, the front tire is a Dunlop 120 70 zr mc 35 W, B rating.

I decided deal with the hazzle of having to haul the bike home and now await my tire. Should be here in under 4 days ! Then I'll haul it back. (don't have the tools, etc...or maybe confidence to fight this type of work)

What I have found out and am wondering about, is that there seem to be several different "stock" tires that came on the FZ6 ? Aside from the year issue I mean. Anyone else here have an '06 FZ6 ? What tire was on it when you bought yours ? Just curious. Also, if anyone has had the tire I do, what don't you like about it (before I find out the hard way)

The two OEM tires are the Dunlop Sportmax D252 (I hated them) and the Bridgestone Battlax BT020. Luck of the draw seems to be how you get either. Most people seem to get decent mileage out of the Bridgestone OEM tires. I just bought some Pirelli Diablo Stradas, I will give a review shortly.

I hated the Dunlop D252 tires. They always felt squirmy, and unsettled. I never felt comfortable pushing the bike hard. They also squared off quickly and they were simply awful in the rain. The only other tire I have had that I disliked this much was a Kenda. These Dunlop tires were so bad, I do not think I will buy anything with the word Dunlop on them. JMHO.

Last edited:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The two OEM tires are the Dunlop Sportmax D252 (I hated them) and the Bridgestone Battlax BT020. Luck of the draw seems to be how you get either. Most people seem to get decent mileage out of the Bridgestone OEM tires. ...snip...

I hated the Dunlop D252 tires. They always felt squirmy, and unsettled. I never felt comfortable pushing the bike hard. They also squared off quickly and they were simply awful in the rain. The only other tire I have had that I disliked this much was a Kenda. These Dunlop tires were so bad, I do not think I will buy anything with the word Dunlop on them. JMHO.

My '06 came with the 020's. They were decent enough. I replaced them before I needed to do so with a new set of Bridgestone 021's. I've had decent experiences with bridgestone tires. I do a lot of slab riding so it was important that I get something that would tolerate that kind of riding -- read: not square off too quickly.

I may try the Dunlop roadsmart next if I can get a decent price on them.

As far as mixing brands, personally, I wouldn't care as long as the profile was correct. Granted, it might take a ride or two to figure out how the tires might behave together, but beyond that, I don't see any issue. YMMV