help only got one key

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
What you can do at the risk of having lesser security, is get some keys cut from the one you have, then secure the original key under the tank where it wont fall out ever!
Then you can use your regular keys to start the bike.
Even cut of the key part just leaving the transponder if you want.

cheaper than replacing the ignition system but less secure.

if you bought yamaha keys no one would be any the wiser.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow sounds like a royal pita... Was gonna say here in the USA no chips in the keys....... best of luck with what you figure out.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The immobilizer that seems to be required on the non-US FZ6, uses an encryption code to and from immobilizer.
There must be a device that sends a load of encryption codes to the immobilizer to generate a non factory key with code. It generates what we might know as a crack. Once that encryption code is found the key is programmed and off you go.

:DThink about the cheap way very carefully.....Is it really the cheap way?:confused:
Bike thefts in the UK are huge mate. Insurance companies give reasonable discounts to owners with bike security. I think this is the reason why the UK version gets the immobiliser.

I was thinking if you had to purchase a complete ignition, loom etc. Would a standard USA loom fit? At only £150.00 ish is very cheap.

Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike thefts in the UK are huge mate. Insurance companies give reasonable discounts to owners with bike security. I think this is the reason why the UK version gets the immobiliser.

I was thinking if you had to purchase a complete ignition, loom etc. Would a standard USA loom fit? At only £150.00 ish is very cheap.

Nelly

I think it's a great idea and wish we had the immobilizeer here in the US. I can't imagine you have more bike theft in the UK than you do here. Especially here in San Diego,Ca. I guess in some sense the immobilizer won't mean much here cuz they just pick the bike up and it goes to Mexico so you can buy your bike back part by part. Hahaha!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a great idea and wish we had the immobilizeer here in the US. I can't imagine you have more bike theft in the UK than you do here. Especially here in San Diego,Ca. I guess in some sense the immobilizer won't mean much here cuz they just pick the bike up and it goes to Mexico so you can buy your bike back part by part. Hahaha!
It's the same mode of theft here mate. The just pick it up and straight into a van.
What the security does is hopefully reduce the level of opportunist crime.
MarkyG a forum member makes a part of his living advising about crime prevention.

Nelly

Last edited:

tinder

Reaction score
Visit site
What you can do at the risk of having lesser security, is get some keys cut from the one you have, then secure the original key under the tank where it wont fall out ever!
Then you can use your regular keys to start the bike.
Even cut of the key part just leaving the transponder if you want.

cheaper than replacing the ignition system but less secure.

if you bought yamaha keys no one would be any the wiser.

thanks that is what i wanted to know you think it will deff work

paul

dominator

Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

The Swedish version has the immobiliser to.
Rule no:1 never ever loose your red masterkey,it will cost
you a fortune :eek:

(i am guessing that a bike without the masterkey wont be worth
very much?)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Swedish version has the immobiliser to.
Rule no:1 never ever loose your red masterkey,it will cost
you a fortune :eek:

(i am guessing that a bike without the masterkey wont be worth
very much?)
I think all the European bikes have it as standard. I would be interested to see if the transponder under the tank works? Nelly

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
you will just have to check the range of the pickup for the key, I know that the computer has the pickup built in not the ignition barrel. you could fit and aftermarket immobiliser and have your security back. or just have the transponder hanging off a lanyard around your neck.

tinder

Reaction score
Visit site
i have had a spare key cut it works but only if i put key with chip in it next to cut key and touch the barrel is there an antenna in the barrel

Paul

Last edited:

yabolek

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats very interesting, thanks for the input.
Could you give us some more details of who copied the key for you? What equipment was required, did you need an original Yamaha blank key et cetera.
It is a very handy thing to know especially as the alternative is so bloody expensive.

Nelly

Hi!

I attached a pic of my key. The brand was JMA and the key was very cheap itself (around 5$). You can see a red piece of plastic at the top of the key. This is where the immobiliser chip goes in. Unfortunately I dont know how the chip is copied from the original. I just know that they used a little box to do that (the original key goes to one hole and the chip shaped lake a capsule goes to the other).

yabolek

Reaction score
Visit site
How much it actually costs?
Around $50?

Yup! Thats what I paid. But that is fairly subjective since the key and chip costs 5$ and the rest is the service (programming and cutting).
Some light googling about copying car immo keys in Your location might help.