help only got one key

tinder

Reaction score
Visit site
i only got one key ( no red one ) if i get a key cut as a spare if i hold origanil key next to the new one will it send signel to ecu and start as it looks like from what i have read will cost a lot of money to get key and new barrel and ecu its only the chip in the key i got that sends signel so it should work if anyone tried this would be gratfull for some help

paul

tinder

Reaction score
Visit site
only got one key ( no red one ) if i get a key cut and hold origanal key next to new key when its in barrel will bike start i think it should as the origanal key will send signal to ecu anybody tried this

paul

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
i only got one key ( no red one ) if i get a key cut as a spare if i hold origanil key next to the new one will it send signel to ecu and start as it looks like from what i have read will cost a lot of money to get key and new barrel and ecu its only the chip in the key i got that sends signel so it should work if anyone tried this would be gratfull for some help

paul

When did you get your bike and which year is it from? I'm assuming you bought it secondhand? I would contact the previous owner and ask what happened to the spares..

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i'm not normally one of these guys, but i have to say it. could you please use punctuation. i don't know if english is your first language or not. regardless, i have to read your posts 5 or 6 times to figure out what you are saying. punctuation would help out a great deal.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
if yours has the chip in it you cant get away with doing it like i did. but i got mine from the dealer had them shipped to the house and cut them later.. i still have one that i have not had cut yet. i could get the number off it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately my understanding is, that you do need the red key in order for new keys to work. It is a part of the immobiliser security system. The red key allows the new key chip to be registered.
Our ECU allows only 3 keys (including the red one) at any one time to be registered.
When you register a new key the code in the remaining key (black one) will also be lost so will also need to be registered again against the red key.

I am not sure how the other poster managed to get around this issue.

Yamaha made a big deal about the security system. If I am correct you will need to purchase a new ignition barrel, keys and wiring loom. [advice given by George White Yamaha UK].
edit [ I have just seen that Bigdog is a USA member. The UK system is totally different from the USA system. Big dogs suggestion will not work in the UK.

Good luck :thumbup:
Nelly UK Mod

PS you need to remove one of your duplicated posts?

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6, US version. does my key have a chip in it?
I don't know if your keys are chipped. Your bike is not fitted with the Yamaha engine immobilizer as standard. This was discussed about two years ago. I can't find the thread sorry.
In the UK we are issued with three keys. Two black keys and a red master key that re-codes any new keys and the ECU.
Our ignition system is redundant if the owner loses his two black keys. If the owner of the FZ6 got the bike from a dealer I would make them address the issue. George White UK quoted me £800.00 + vat approx for a new system. Even if the ignition becomes faulty the immobiliser system needs to be replaced.

Nelly

Last edited:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
You need the red key to re-register, so holding a new cut key next to your black one while you start the bike isn't going to work. I think.

The handbook is pretty adamant. Quote:

DO NOT LOSE THE RE-REGISTERING (RED) KEY! CONTACT YOUR DEALER IMMEDIATELY IF IT IS LOST!

It goes on to say that the standard black keys will still start the bike, but if code re-registering is required the entire immobiliser system must be replaced.

So on the bright side, your one remaining key should still work. Just don't lose it.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You need the red key to re-register, so holding a new cut key next to your black one while you start the bike isn't going to work. I think.

The handbook is pretty adamant. Quote:

It goes on to say that the standard black keys will still start the bike, but if code re-registering is required the entire immobiliser system must be replaced.

So on the bright side, your one remaining key should still work. Just don't lose it.
This is right mate,

The red key re-codes the other keys. I feel for Paul as this is potentially a very expensive thing to resolve. Hopefully it was dealer brought. I would pursue it through them.

Nelly

Last edited:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 and do not recall any engine immobilizers in the literature. Sounds like a nice feature though, as long as you keep track of the keys.

yabolek

Reaction score
Visit site
The immobiliser that FZ6 uses is old and very easy to copy without the red key. I have one aftermarket key that was programmed in seconds without the red key. They explained to me, that they dont really register a new key but make a copy of the original instead. That way the bikes immobiliser system sees only one key even if You use two.

Copying a key with immo is a cost of ~50$ in Europe. They can even make a key if you dont have any to copy from (you need a bike to do that obviously) but thats a cost of ~100$.

I have a 2008 FZ6 S2.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The immobiliser that FZ6 uses is old and very easy to copy without the red key. I have one aftermarket key that was programmed in seconds without the red key. They explained to me, that they dont really register a new key but make a copy of the original instead. That way the bikes immobiliser system sees only one key even if You use two.

Copying a key with immo is a cost of ~50$ in Europe. They can even make a key if you dont have any to copy from (you need a bike to do that obviously) but thats a cost of ~100$.

I have a 2008 FZ6 S2.
Thats very interesting, thanks for the input.
Could you give us some more details of who copied the key for you? What equipment was required, did you need an original Yamaha blank key et cetera.
It is a very handy thing to know especially as the alternative is so bloody expensive.

Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The immobilizer that seems to be required on the non-US FZ6, uses an encryption code to and from immobilizer.
There must be a device that sends a load of encryption codes to the immobilizer to generate a non factory key with code. It generates what we might know as a crack. Once that encryption code is found the key is programmed and off you go.

:DThink about the cheap way very carefully.....Is it really the cheap way?:confused: