Help for the cultch's mini friction zone

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Help for the clutch's mini friction zone

Let me start off by saying the clutch friction zone was not a major problem for me; even with the stock levers. My FZ6 is the second EFI Yamaha in my garage and I guess I am just used to that issue. However, I recently stumbled upon a mod that, in my opinion, greatly diminishes the friction zone issue.

I purchased a set of the ebay adjustable levers. Mine are the shorty version. When I adjusted the clutch lever to the setting yielding the shortest travel, i.e. closest to the hand grip, the (short) friction zone becomes even less of an issue.

Here is my take on this phenomenon. I think most riders become impatient when they are releasing the clutch and the first 80% of the travel is waiting for the friction zone. That is a lot of wasted motion, especially when there are cars behind you and you are anxious to get moving. Even though I only had to pull the clutch lever in about 1/2" to engage (stock), I instinctively pull it in until it hits the grip. Therefore, take-off had me releasing all that extra travel. That is a lot of wasted motion.

With my adjustable shorties, when releasing the clutch the friction zone is encountered after minimal travel away from the grip. It may be my imagination but it just seems like a non-issue since I installed the adjustable clutch lever. This might not work for others but it certainly works for me.

Last edited: