Help diagnosing FZ6 problems!

Vroom!Vroom!

Reaction score
Visit site
First problem:

I just recently had my brakes changed out (along with the front tire) by a shop, and when I was riding back home I noticed that the front brake lever tends to give out and when that happens there is very minimal pull on the front brakes. The brakes will come back but that's after let go of the lever and pull on it again. This tends to happen sporadically and happens when the bike isn't powered on.

Second problem:

When coming up to a stop there seems to be a light screeching sound coming from the front end of my bike, but it could also be from around the engine (it's hard to tell, really). I thought it might have been the brakes so I had those replaced but the screeching sound is still there. I've noticed that it usually happens when I pull in the clutch when coming up to a stop. I don't think the clutch needs to be replaced because shifting isn't a problem (it's smooth for the most part) but I was thinking maybe something needs to be lubricated around the clutch area. The previous owner didn't ride the bike for about a good 4 months so I believe it might have been sitting for a while, so maybe certain things dried up-I don't know. Maybe it's not the clutch at all and maybe it's just the sound of my oh so sweet FZ6. Help me out my fellow riders!

Oh yeah, I just changed the oil and filter about two days ago and that didn't do anything for the screeching.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Front brake problem sounds like you have air in your lines. I'd bleed them and test after. As for second part is the screech only when you apply the clutch or when you apply the front brake? If it is the brake, check your discs for any pits and scratches as well as dirt. If clutch only lube for now and come back and let us know if anything changes.

Vroom!Vroom!

Reaction score
Visit site
It's really hard to tell because I'm pulling in the clutch and braking at the same time whenever I am coming up to a stop. From what I remember last time, it usually happens when I pull in the clutch and when I let it go just a little-- that's when the screeching starts. But then again I've heard it while having the clutch in entirely. Mind you that this only happens at low speeds of like 2-5mph.

Front brake problem sounds like you have air in your lines. I'd bleed them and test after.
How do you "bleed" out the brake lines?

Last edited:
S

Shamus McFeeley

It's really hard to tell because I'm pulling in the clutch and braking at the same time whenever I am coming up to a stop. From what I remember last time, it usually happens when I pull in the clutch and when I let it go just a little-- that's when the screeching starts. But then again I've heard it while having the clutch in entirely. Mind you that this only happens at low speeds of like 2-5mph.

How do you "bleed" out the brake lines?

Bleeding the brakes is simple in theory, but can sometimes turn into a complex mess if you don't start out the right way. Air compresses, brake (and most other) fluid does not. So when you apply the brake and get a "soft" or "mushy" feeling then more than likely you have air pockets trapped in your brake lines. The way to get them out is to force them out. Air can also enter a line through either a bad master cylinder, caliper seal, loose banjo bolt, bleeder screw, or in older systems the splitter.

Most of the time air will enter the system from a loose/incorrectly fitting bleeder screw. In that case, wrapping the bleeder screw with teflon tape will fix the leak.

To start bleeding your brakes correctly you need to first know where you are starting:

1. Was any maintenance performed by you or others on the brake system?
2. If yes then on what system and what component?

Answering these can narrow down your list of suspects.

Tools like a Mity-Vac will help you, but are not necessary. What you'll probably need is:

1. Yourself
2. A 8mm wrench for the bleeder screw
3. Unopened bottle of brake fluid
4. Tools to open your front master cylinder
5. Large container to catch the fluid in
6. COPIOUS amounts of brake cleaner
7. Some flexible tubing that fits over the bleeder screw (optional)

If you opted for it, put the tubing over the bleeder screw. Pump your brake lever a few times and then hold it. Loosen the bleeder screw just enough to let fluid out. If your brakes are mushy then you should see pockets of air mixed with the fluid come out. Once the fluid stops, tighten the screw again. Repeat the process until you've felt that the brake lever has firmed up. Once you've finished bleeding, take a zip tie and use it to hold the brake lever down. Leave it overnight and you should get the feel your looking for. Just remember not to loosen the bleeder too much, or take too long to tighten it, or air will reenter the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

go down the street (empty street).. get up to like 10-20 mph.. clutch and put it into neutral, then hit front brake.. that will help determine if its the brakes or the clutch.. saounds almost like something on the brake pads... that would also help to explain why you have air in your lines.. i suggest either a new shop or DIY :thumbup: good luck with the bike

Edit: Boneman has a great writeup for brake bleeding, and youtube has a bunch of good video's if you are going to do it yourself.. the info is pretty universal for most bikes.. also bone's site has great info on changing your brake pads (among other things).. good stuff for the future..
http://www.bonemanfz6.com/

http://www.bonemanfz6.com/Manuals/Brake%20Bleeding.pdf

edit #2: this was the most helpful video on brake bleeding that i could find..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3HIVkup94"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3HIVkup94[/ame]

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
To add another twist to this... you might have a warped rotor. If the rotor is no longer flat, the process of bleeding the brakes can have too much variation. It takes very little tweak to cause the sort of thing you are describing.

nab86

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi this is my first post!

Check that the front axle is tight if the front wheel can move side to side it will push the pads away from the rotors causing you to have to pump the brakes once.
With warped rotors this usually happens every time you use the brakes but since you said it happens "sporadically" this is my guess.

Same brake problem happened to me when i picked my bike up from the dealer!!
Cause was a loose axle took 3 full turns to get it tight.:eek:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Front brake problem sounds like you have air in your lines. I'd bleed them and test after. As for second part is the screech only when you apply the clutch or when you apply the front brake? If it is the brake, check your discs for any pits and scratches as well as dirt. If clutch only lube for now and come back and let us know if anything changes.

+1 on the above.
when trying to narrow doen the noise, use the rear brake only (for testing purposes) and listen for the noise.

Also +1 on the Mity vac. Air got introduced into your system and needs to be evacuated...

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
When you bleed the brakes, make sure to pull the brake lever a couple of times first. Let go of the brake lever, loosen the bleeder screw, slowly and fully pull the brake lever (don't let go at this point, if you do you can add air back into the line), close the bleeder screw and release the brake. If you find that there was some air in the line repeat the procedure from loosening the bleeder screw. Keep a close eye on the brake fluid reservoir. You don't want that to get to low and add air into the system. When filling the reservoir pour slowly to minimize air bubbles. It is an easier procedure when someone is pulling the brake and someone is operating the bleeder screw.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you bleed the brakes, make sure to pull the brake lever a couple of times first. Let go of the brake lever, loosen the bleeder screw, slowly and fully pull the brake lever (don't let go at this point, if you do you can add air back into the line), close the bleeder screw and release the brake. If you find that there was some air in the line repeat the procedure from loosening the bleeder screw. Keep a close eye on the brake fluid reservoir. You don't want that to get to low and add air into the system. When filling the reservoir pour slowly to minimize air bubbles. It is an easier procedure when someone is pulling the brake and someone is operating the bleeder screw.

Its even easier with a Mity Vac (one person operation)