Helmet upgrade questions...

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well you need to be careful about what lid you use. Its no use saving money on something which can help you survive a crash.

best line of the day... absolutly right.. if your spending on crap, then its crap protecting your head...:thumbup:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Schubert S1 Pro... expensive - but you get what pay for!

It's the only helmet I have ever ridden with (besides some cheap scrap crap they had at the bike school). It's not brand new on the market, but it still has among the lowest db-count at 100 km/t speeds. I have had it for 3 years and 25.000km and wear is almost not visible on either inner- or outer side. There is a few micro scratches but they are self inflicted.

Buildt in sun-visor works nicely. In the package there is also an optional wind stopper chin piece which decreases wind comming up down to around 0%.

I got a white one - when I am a bit far away then cardrivers tend to think I am a cop and pull back in the right lane... aaahhh such space!

Can't really comment on ventilation, because this is the only quality helmet I have tried, but works great for me. I am pretty syre I am buying another Schuberth again some day.

Go check it out and try it! :D

Schuberth GmbH | Deep black

I gently peeled of the Schubert letters and the big logo on the back so it only says S1 Pro in small letters. Makes it look more cool.
I do use earplugs if I am going for a longer highway ride. I don't believe that any helmet is quiet enough for a longer trips at highway speeds - at least not for me!

Last edited:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
More Schuberth recommendations :) I have the C3 and if you can afford it, get it! It is light, quiet especially for a flip up helmet, the optical quality of the visor is great and it has a pinlock visor -> no fog issues. It doesn't cause any fatigue even on very long rides. Works also well with sunglasses and has an integrated sun visor. Ventilation works well too and doesn't add too much noise even on full ventilation mode. And it works well in any speed, no head shaking problems even at over 200km/h speeds.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
More Schuberth recommendations :) I have the C3 and if you can afford it, get it! It is light, quiet especially for a flip up helmet,

I've been thinking about making the C3 my next helmet. I wear glasses and like to use a modular helmet. Haven't been able to find many reviews on C3.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about making the C3 my next helmet. I wear glasses and like to use a modular helmet. Haven't been able to find many reviews on C3.

No reason to test it... it's just so damn good :D
I think the C3 has been updated once or twice but I don't know the differences? Maybe JTL does?

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
No reason to test it... it's just so damn good :D
I think the C3 has been updated once or twice but I don't know the differences? Maybe JTL does?

There were the earlier versions (Concept and C2), I guess you meant those?

Some changes have been made to the C3 as well during its production, at least the attachment of the forward chin curtain that is rigidly attached to the chin guard (there are two, the other one, an "additional" noise shield pad is held in its place by velcro) was improved in some timeframe as there were some problems initially. Also to get it approved in the US, in my understanding the version that is sold in the States has an added layer of Dyneema fiber in the shell to enable the helmet to pass some kind of DOT requirement for sharp object impact.

Here is one review: Schuberth C3 - webBikeWorld

One thing about the C3 though: there are certain head shapes that don't fit to them very well or at all, as your chin could prevent the helmet from closing. I mean if you have a noticeably protruding chin area or a longish head shape or both you can have problems, with a normal chin it should be ok.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have or tried 3 helmets, Scorpion x 2, O'Neal Fastrack x 1. There is no much difference between them. I would say there are only smaller cosmetic differences between all of them you could find in store. I would say that they are all safe, reasonable comfortable to wear and mostly attractive looking.

For me better helmet would have to be a quiet one and that is a very hard nut to crack. The fact is they are all noisy. Above 80-90 kmh, 60 mph wind and engine noise is just overwhelming. You need ear plugs.

Going back to solution, tests show that Schubert (Made in Germany) could very well be the quietest helmet in the world so that is possibly my next helmet.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have a Shark RSI and an AGV S4. The Shark is much quieter than the AGV but the AGV has better airflow. The Shark is much better than the AGV about fogging up in the rain and cold. I have a Foggy breath mask which fits in the helmet, goes over the nose and keeps your breath off of the visor - works great!!! The Shark is my winter/rain helmet and the AGV is the summer helmet. Am not fond of the Snell rating as it makes the helmet harder - more g forces to the head due to the double impact requirement. The Shark feels better on the inside than the AGV. For longer rides I always use ear plugs or noise isolating ear buds for my iPod. For both helmets I have a clear visor and a mirrored visor. During the day ride with the mirrored visor but have the clear with me unless it is a short trip.

Hope this helps.