Helmet Help

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, help me out. I need a helmet recommendation for my girlfriend. She currently has a GM78 Firestarter helmet in a size small (link: GMax Women's GM78 Firestarter Helmet - RevZilla[1] ) and is getting some hot spots. I’m realizing after the fact that this is probably due to not getting her something that is rounder in nature as she has a pretty round head. She has also tried one of my helmets, but the size is too big for her so I can’t really gauge it that well (HJC CL-16, size medium).

So, what helmet would you recommend for someone with a round head? I plan on taking her to a local shop and letting her try on a few different ones, or ordering from Revzilla or similar. Thanks in advance!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd get yourself down to a shop and try some on, it's all well and good looking at online guides, but you can't be sure of the fit until you try one on.

Shoei are generally rounder, but I'd still try one on, different models from a brand will vary too.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd get yourself down to a shop and try some on, it's all well and good looking at online guides, but you can't be sure of the fit until you try one on.

Shoei are generally rounder, but I'd still try one on, different models from a brand will vary too.

Agreed. If someone has fitment problems with helmets in their size then you really need to try them on in person to decide which brand or style works best.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Excellent suggestion. Once she finds a helmet she likes in the store, have her keep it on for 10 minutes while you browse some other stuff. Some helmets may feel perfect initially, but pressure points may show up after few minutes.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent suggestion. Once she finds a helmet she likes in the store, have her keep it on for 10 minutes while you browse some other stuff. Some helmets may feel perfect initially, but pressure points may show up after few minutes.

Hmm, for some reason, MQ (multiple quotes) never work for me. I tried. Eric won. But, both good suggestions. I always tell everyone to do just that. Continue shopping with the helmet on. Many times I've heard people say it felt good when I tried it on, but now that I've worn it for awhile, I don't like this or I don't like that.

Also, if you go by the reviews, there maybe something missing. Normally, the shell is a different size for different sized helmets. I know that should be obvious, but its not always the case with all manufacturers.

And, yes, Shoei's supposed to be more round headed and I think Arai is more oblong headed - the two big mfg's.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I have an Arai Signet-Q that fits me perfectly (sized Medium). I remember trying on a Shoei one time and wondering why anyone would rave about them because didn't fit my head shape at all.

The only problem I'm having with the "try them on at the shop" for a bit is that it doesn't seem like she is getting a hot spot until almost 45 minutes or so into the ride. My head used to do the same thing in the HJC CL-16 until I upgraded to the Arai. That one "fits" my girlfriend but it is loose, so I'm obviously not going to let her wear it in case if it actually needs to be used.

Wasn't sure if anyone had a better starting point in terms of a good helmet to try out. I'm working on a list to see if the shop has them in stock so we can test a few out this weekend.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wasn't sure if anyone had a better starting point in terms of a good helmet to try out. I'm working on a list to see if the shop has them in stock so we can test a few out this weekend.

Shoei's and Arai's are superbly comfortable, provided they correctly fit you to begin with. If you don't mind spending the $$$, I would try those brands.

The difference between inexpensive and really expensive helmets is typically not the amount of protection.. it's the features, ventilation effectiveness and comfort.