hello all

d2thomas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone! I just wanted to say I'm new to the forums and new to my recent acquired Yamaha. I'm sure I'll be reading a pantload of posts and asking even more questions. Thank you in advance for your patience.

I recently was given a 1986 FZ600S that needs a bit of of work to be road ready - but I'm not rushing to get there. So far it looks like it needs:

Voltage Regulator - seems to be very expensive for such a small bolt on / plug in part.

Battery - probably a causality of the voltage regulator.

Fork Seals - slightly dripping. Is this a hard system to work on?

Clutch cable - it is extremely stiff. Of course since I've not been able to get it started I'm not sure if that will improve while the engine is running.

Small Oil Leak - seems to be on the bottom of the engine, back towards the transmission. Or that is where the leak terminates anyway. Anything I should be looking for in terms of common leaks?

On the plus I've heard these bikes are really run and seem to be popular with many riders despite it's age. The Vance and Hines system is also pretty B-A as is the K&N air intake system PROVIDED I can get it started. I tried to jump it today and got a cough sputter or two. Nothing yet.

Any expertise or advice you can offer in terms of what I've posted or what I can expect would be greatly appreciate. I'm not a professional mechanic but more of an armchair wrencher. I'm not afraid to learn or try. I've worked on cars and bikes before and done light work, just nothing major like total rebuilds.

It used to be bright pink (yeah I have no idea) but now it's a mat black with yellow accents. I've had a few bikes over the years, not many recently due to having a wife / kids and whatnot but this was a chance I could not pass up.

Front End

Side View

Slightly Torn Down

Thanks all.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!
I've heard of that Vance N Hines edition. Not many of those around I don't think.How have you established the Regulator/Rectifier being bad?. Be careful not to jump start the bike with a car, while the car engine is running. You can use the car to jump it(Engine off). Don't charge the battery with a regular high amp charger. If you need to charge the battery do it disconnected from the bike or get a proper tender.

We have a lot of great members here that have loads of experience and will give you input on many of the areas you might have questions about so just jump in

Again Welcome!

d2thomas

Reaction score
Visit site
The person I got the bike from told me the regulator / rectifier was bad - unfortunately he didn't know for sure because it was told to him from the person HE bought the bike from. It sat in his garage for a year while he worked on other projects. Is there a way to test its function short of buying a new battery and letting it fry?

Right now the bike isn't running. I was able to turn it over with a car battery (short attempts - the battery was not connected to a car) but it only coughed once. I'm thinking the carbs need to be tore down and cleaned. Any tips on important steps for that would be amazing. I've worked with some carbs in the past but nothing to detailed or heavy.

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The person I got the bike from told me the regulator / rectifier was bad - unfortunately he didn't know for sure because it was told to him from the person HE bought the bike from. It sat in his garage for a year while he worked on other projects. Is there a way to test its function short of buying a new battery and letting it fry?

Right now the bike isn't running. I was able to turn it over with a car battery (short attempts - the battery was not connected to a car) but it only coughed once. I'm thinking the carbs need to be tore down and cleaned. Any tips on important steps for that would be amazing. I've worked with some carbs in the past but nothing to detailed or heavy.

Thanks!

You might start with a repair manual and do an ohms test to the stator to eliminate that part of the charging system. If that is bad you'll need to replace it and then test your charging system the see if there's charging. You have to charge the battery and have it load tested. Most auto parts stores can do that for you. Cycle Gear stores will load test it for you.

A lot of what happens to regulator/rectifiers is people jump the bike with a car while the engine is running and the car's alternator pumps out to much current/amperage for the shunt type regulator and it becomes damaged.

We have a few wrench spinners that can give you more experience on those carbs than I can. :D