Headlight retention clip HELP!!!

halfie30

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm unscrewed the retention clip on the three prong head light, and now I can get it back on. Pics or any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
for future reference, when you unclip the wire from its secure position, you only need to swing it out and away to replace the bulb...no need to fully remove the wire clip.

as far as your current situation, i not near the bike, so im not able to fully envision it. you should be able to put the hinge section of the wire clip in place and put the screw back in. no?

mootybb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I would answer this since I just replaced a stock with PIAA superbright.
The spring has a tab on one end that butts against a screw, the other end is open with a small u shaped hook that slides under a small metal tab.
Once the bulb in is the housing:
Slide the spring over the base bulb so that the tab site under the screw, then push the u shaped hook on the other side of the spring down and under the small metal tab near the base of the bulb. Tighten screw.
It really helps to remove the dash panels before you try this but is not neccessary if you have small hands.:thumbup:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
This thing is a bugger. Unscrewed mine to replace a bulb today, and it boinged off immediately, landing 5 feet away, before I could really see how it went on. I still have it, but I'll be damned if I could get it to fit back on after 30 mins of trying. I'm messing the non-screw side up somehow, I don't see or feel any such metal lip to clip it under on that side. I'll find it... I have tiny hands.

There MUST have been an easier way to do this, design-wise.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
This thing is a bugger. Unscrewed mine to replace a bulb today, and it boinged off immediately, landing 5 feet away, before I could really see how it went on. I still have it, but I'll be damned if I could get it to fit back on after 30 mins of trying. I'm messing the non-screw side up somehow, I don't see or feel any such metal lip to clip it under on that side. I'll find it... I have tiny hands.

There MUST have been an easier way to do this, design-wise.

Take a look at my HID projector retrofit thread.
It will give you a good idea of how the retention clip should be placed. (You'll see the little hook where 1 part of the clip needs to hook into as well..

Grtz,

Degake

Send from my HTC One X

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well guess who unscrewed the screw for the retainer clip yesterday (and the spring flew off) :eek:

when I first searched for this I couldn't find it but after fiddling about I got it back again, with help from Degake's morimoto thread (which is mentioned here as well) :thumbup:

Anyway I took a pic so I might as well post it here.

IMG_0077.JPG

As has already been said the clip hinges on the screw side, and clips in the other side, BTW this is the H7 side.

Last edited: