Headers are different levels of clean at the engine?

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
OK I was unable to find anything like this using the search but I am trying to determine if my headers are leaking where they meet the engine. I am suspicious because 1 and 4 are clean and silver and 2 and 3 are dirty as hell. I ride all the time, commute in the rain, road trip in the rain, doesn't matter to me but it seems no matter what I ride through the headers don't change. I'm wondering if this is a sign of exhaust pressure blowing out around the pipe and just washing away anything in it's path on the 1 and 4 pipes.

I attached some pics, let me know what you think, should I be worried?, has anyone seen this before? I would love to say there is a specific sound involved but I really can't hear much over the wind noise, and my hearing is not so good after years of rave djing.

I know they look terrible, I have found some good threads about polishing them from you guys, thanks. This is the best forum I have ever seen for pretty much anything so far.

Jay

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fine to me. It's probably just that 2 and 3 take a lot more spray from the front tire.

There's not much to go wrong with the copper ring seals unless the nuts are loose.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fine -
Only thing I see is the rust at the port like the nickel plating is gone.

You will hear an exhaust leak and you say it sounds fine. A good thorough cleaning may find other things that can go unnoticed until you start spending time looking. . .