Have your wife/significant-other asked you to….

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am single - if a guy wants me to quit riding my bike - I quit seeing him. The bike makes me much happier with fewer hassles.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a girlfriend that really didn't like my truck years ago, so one day she made me choose between her or the truck while we were sitting at a restaurant. It was a big mistake because I was her ride home. :D

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a girlfriend that really didn't like my truck years ago, so one day she made me choose between her or the truck while we were sitting at a restaurant. It was a big mistake because I was her ride home. :D

too funny.. guess she should have thought that one through...:thumbup:

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
This is a touchy subject for me. The bike all most caused a divorce for me and my wife. She was set against it " we can't afford a bike " I explained that I would use it for commuting instead of a 12mpg 8 passenger Ford Expedition that I was driving to work. I explained that the fuel savings alone would pay for the bike, and she said I was on my own with the purchase with my "allowance". :welcome: to my family FZ6 !!!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my missus has pledged her alegience to the biking cause by buying herself a helmet,jacket and boots back in December :D..My car is the money pit in our family..i could live without that no problem if it came down to it

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily Jannie likes motorcycling as much as I do. It would be like her to suggest selling the house and using the money to tour the world on a motorbike.

Steve

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Considering that I have the same urge now to go motorcycling after three months of winterizing, as I did have urges to smoke after quitting that, there's no way that Ï'll ever get rid of my bike!

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I am currently single, a motorcycle certainly has caused rifts in past relationships. I have not been without a powered two wheeled vehicle since I was 12. I don't care if I have to work three jobs, I am keeping my bike(s)!

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
I've taken a fair bit of flak from my other half over the years for riding bikes. No-one in my extended family is into/has had a bike, so every time I have an 'off', whether on the track or the road, it's been a chorus of "oh, well, that's you giving up the bike, then." The more I hear that, the more I just dig my heels in :rolleyes:

BTW, as well as convincing myself that a bike saves me money over a car/saves commuting time/helps the planet, really I do enjoy riding more and more each day, even when it's cold, wet and dark, like this evening's journey home. But other times I do tire of the hassle of rain and road salt. I look forward to the day when I live somewhere sunnier, warmer and drier than England, so I can rock up to the bar on my cafe racer in just jeans and a leather jacket!

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I've found it far more economically sound to get rid of the wife and buy two motorcycles.

If you have no wife, you can have many, many bikes. Even a boat.
And you can hang your deer head above the fireplace like it should be.
But it's so sad with no love in life...so no.

chiller

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't finance either of my bikes (nor will I when I get my 3rd bike), nor the truck / cars in the house. I like to pay it in cash, if I want it, I made damn well sure I worked and saved enough to buy it. So its never a 'requirement' for me to sell it because the monthly payments are too high or something like that ... my insurance rates just dropped recently as well so that cut monthly expenses. I don't think I could ever sell a bike because we needed the money, we need the money we'll save it off someting else, sure if needed I can shelve a bike for a year and keep one active on the insurance list but I'm not 'needing' to sell it ...

doesn't anyone else have savings that they can dip into in rough times? I always try to keep a safety net under us incase we lose jobs or something. I've got 2 safety nets, the first is my 'rainy day' fund and the other is investments that can easily be turned into cash ... after taking out the dollars for my monthly needs, food, gas, insurance, phones, etc. etc. (all those neccessity per month fees). I'm left wth a bunch, I take out our "buying" money (thats money that I know we're going to spend in a month just buying random things). Then I take another good chunk per month and put it into a savings account I call my 'rainy day fund'. I use it for if the car needs tires, new windshield, bike needs tires, etc. the account fluctuates up and down, if it's not touched for a while and it starts to accumulate to a few grands then I'll take a chunk out and put it towards retirement / investments ... I think we have enough to survive on for about 6 months if no one in the house was working... I think I'd go insane without safety nets...

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife hasn't suggested this......yet. She never liked the idea of me getting a bike and she never will. On the other hand, she knows how much it means to me and she's been a great sport about it. Other than my wife and kids, my bike means more to me than anything.

I would NEVER get rid of the bike unless I need the money to save an immediate family member in a life-threatening situation. If things get tough I'll eat noodles or find another job (even the most degrading, demeaning, crappy paying job if it meant keeping the bike). I'd sell my car and bum rides all winter before I'd sell the bike. Hell, I'd join a freak show, sell everything else I own, and sell a few non-vital organs to keep the bike.

All the stress of the economy is just one more reason why I NEED the bike. It keeps me sane.

Disclaimer: Everything related to my bike was paid for with cash as I could afford it at the time. If the bike had been financed it might be a different story.