Harley type bikes on highway with no windscreen..

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I see a lot of bikes on I-25 and other state highways just hauling a$$ at 70mph with no windscreen. It doesn't look like they're having too much trouble staying on!! What the H am I missing? Seems like it would be very uncomfortabe.

I guess it's a bit like riding a naked FZ?

Also, they just wanna look cool when they end up with...

View attachment 20177

:rockon:

At the other end of the scale, I saw a scooter the other day with a full touring windscreen on it... looked very strange. I'm talking 2' wide and 3' high... It was massive...lol.

I see a lot of bikes on I-25 and other state highways just hauling a$$ at 70mph with no windscreen. It doesn't look like they're having too much trouble staying on!! What the H am I missing? Seems like it would be very uncomfortabe.

It really is not so bad, as my previous bike had no windscreen. With an open face helmet, my cheeks would start flapping around 75-80 mph, but other than that, it was not too bad. Unless it rained, then it would sting my neck.:(

My naked is no problem 85mph straight nonstop 1.5 hours to my girl, then 1.5 back with her on the back.

They sit a lot lower than we do on the FZ6, and further back from the front o the bike. Maybe that has something to do with it? I personally can't stand riding with full wind blast, as my first bike was like that for a while. Neck and arms got sore, very draining. I don't know how they put up with it either.

as the owner of a naked bike I can say after spending allday on it I don't feel anymore worn out than I do on my FZ I like having the wind. My parents both have crusiers that have HUGE windshields and I do some of the tune up and general maintance on them so I ride them around a little from time to time. I can safely say I HATE riding there bikes just because of the windscreens you get so hot and the complete lack of air flow drives me nuts. I don't even want to bring up what happens on thouse damn things when it rains

i crashed my fz6 about a month ago, busted the front fairing, so i decided to go naked. i rode it today for the first time with no windscreen, and was surprised how little the wind blast bothered me. it actually felt kinda cool with my shirt sleeves flappin a little harder, haha.

The riding position has a lot to do with it. I usually quite a few bugs on my jacket and visor when I ride my cruiser.

i crashed my fz6 about a month ago, busted the front fairing, so i decided to go naked. i rode it today for the first time with no windscreen, and was surprised how little the wind blast bothered me. it actually felt kinda cool with my shirt sleeves flappin a little harder, haha.

not wearing gear? didnt learn anything from the crash huh?

I've taken the windshield off of my cruiser a few times and ridden on the highway. At 70mph, it's very tiring -- I wear a full face helmet if I use no windshield on the highway. The wind pushes your chest back, your back gets concave and your arms are almost full lock trying to keep you from falling off the back of the bike. When I did this, I had a backrest installed and that helped alot with the fatigue.

I remember trailing a guy on a Busa and his buddy on a Harley (with no shield and half helmet); I was on my old CBR F4. We were doing 80mph on HW 101 in NH. I kept getting hit by bugs on my helmet and jacket -- it was kind of nasty. The guy on the Harley was a big dude and seemed to not mind it. I can only imaging the bugs he picked up on his face :eek:

A guy at work got a new Harley and he said he didn't want a shield because it would make the bike look dorkey. I asked how he does it -- re: riding on the highway and he said he does not do it that much at all.

Dennis

I used to ride my old V45 Magna up to my camp on Lake Ossipee in NH. It had no windshield and I'll tell ya, those darn bugs hurt! Especially the big ones in the spring time, right around dusk.......ouch!

I got a windshield in a hurry...even that only provided a little protection.:eek:

Back