Hard vs Soft Armour?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for opinions on hard vs soft armour that is inserted in most modern jackets and pants (shoulder/elbow/knee).
While it may seem on the surface that hard armour offers more protection than soft (dense foam CE) armour, is this really the case?
Any and all opinions most welcome! :)

(Spell checker keeps telling me I'm spelling armour incorrectly.....it's quite correct in this little corner of the British Empire :D)

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I prefer the hard which is usually found in higher end jackets. Pretty sure there's a good reason for it. I personally just like the feel and feeling of protection better. I feel the foam would rip down in the event of a slide...just my personal feelings though.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the hard which is usually found in higher end jackets. Pretty sure there's a good reason for it. I personally just like the feel and feeling of protection better. I feel the foam would rip down in the event of a slide...just my personal feelings though.

it doesn't necessarily have to be foam. I have soft (advanced technology) foam that is soft when on and hard upon impact (it is very good at absorbing the energy from a crash)

Look up Hein Gericke's armour..its brill!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it doesn't necessarily have to be foam. I have soft (advanced technology) foam that is soft when on and hard upon impact (it is very good at absorbing the energy from a crash)

Look up Hein Gericke's armour..its brill!!
+1 on Hein Gericke armour, they do an excellent conforming armour.

Nelly

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I use a combination,- eg. Soft on the hips, back protector hard.

I tend to believe that the hard armour will withstand tarmac sliding better than the soft, - but again IMO a combination is optimal.

My Hard/Soft config is like this:

Shoulders: Hard
Back: Hard turtle shield, soft build into jacket.
Elbows and arms: Hard
Hips/upper legs: Soft
Knees: Hard
Lower legs: Soft

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a combination,- eg. Soft on the hips, back protector hard.

I tend to believe that the hard armour will withstand tarmac sliding better than the soft, - but again IMO a combination is optimal.

My Hard/Soft config is like this:

Shoulders: Hard
Back: Hard turtle shield, soft build into jacket.
Elbows and arms: Hard
Hips/upper legs: Soft
Knees: Hard
Lower legs: Soft

Same here. This is the combination that I have now. Good post.

Jadon01

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought hard armour (jacket). Sales person suggested leather. I just hope I never find out which is best...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
leather is always better then textile but with that said, textiles are getting better and better.

I'm not at all sure that's true any more. My textile jacket has kevlar woven into it everywhere, so it should resist as good or better than leather ....
(Haven't testes it though :))

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting responses, thanks!
My inclination is to install the hard armour into my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket for the summer. My JR Alter Ego textile jacket should be ok with soft armour, as will my JR Sonic 2.0 leather jacket. More comfortable, too.
I'm also looking at hard shell back protectors. What I'm finding is that most of them are too long....it makes it impossible to attach my jacket to my pants with the 360 deg zipper. The Icon Field Armour vest has caught my attention, as the back armour is quite a bit shorter in length than other brands. However, it's the most lower part of my spine (just above the tailbone) that I'm most interested in protecting, as that's where the surgery took place and the titanium upgrades are installed. What to do.....:confused:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the hard armor because it has softer padding underneath anyways. I just picked this jacket up in October. It has hard armor in the back and shoulders, and soft in the elbows.

violatorjktsil-blk-s.jpg

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Interesting responses, thanks!
My inclination is to install the hard armour into my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket for the summer. My JR Alter Ego textile jacket should be ok with soft armour, as will my JR Sonic 2.0 leather jacket. More comfortable, too.
I'm also looking at hard shell back protectors. What I'm finding is that most of them are too long....it makes it impossible to attach my jacket to my pants with the 360 deg zipper. The Icon Field Armour vest has caught my attention, as the back armour is quite a bit shorter in length than other brands. However, it's the most lower part of my spine (just above the tailbone) that I'm most interested in protecting, as that's where the surgery took place and the titanium upgrades are installed. What to do.....:confused:

I just stuff my turtle shield down the back of my pants when I want to zip together .....

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Rjay's Jacket has hard Armour in the elbows and soft Armour in the shoulders and spine region , which seems to be a good match but......When i came off my bike the only part of me that was injured was my elbow which i put down to the lack of impact absorbtion from the hard armour :don'tknow: may have been coincidence but i prefer the softer armour.....Much more comfortable to wear all day aswell :D

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into a dainese wave back protector. It's not long enough to interfere with pants, and works great. Crash tested, minimal damage approved.

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, as someone who has ploughed into the side of a car, I feel the HARD armour works best....I left an enormous dent in the car and still got up.....I have an Arlen Ness jacket that weights a ton but its seriously tough....Soft armour is still better than NONE but...