Hand guards!!! YAY!!!!

chihuahuastud

Reaction score
Visit site
I want those! Know where to find them? My hands are hurting this week.

They are Buell hand guards, come standard on the XBs. A lot of guys take them off, might be able to find some for cheap on ebay or the Buell forum. If not you can order them through a Harley dealer. They are great for stickers too! Here is a pic of my old XB.
Burnout1.jpg

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed Powermadd handguards on my FZ6 about a year ago. I thought I'd only use them in the spring/fall, but I've never taken them off.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
You know, I went for a long ride today and the only part of me that was cold was my hands. Seeing how much they control the bike, having numb fingers is not so great.
I'll have to see about those Buell guards. All other options (besides Ebay) are over $100. Sorry, but that's silly for plastic handguards....

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Could somebody please tell me about the mounting for the Powermadd's I see some on ebay and I see Powermadd flexible mounts as well. Do you have to move clutch or front brake lever?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Those with Powermadd handguards, which one do you have? The powerX or star?

i have the star series. just happened to be what i bought. didn't have a chance to try the two out to see which one does a better job. but i like the ones i have. the big black section is removable. although it doesn't let a ton of air in, it does make it so i can pretty much leave then on year round with no issues. that's riding in 95 degree heat. i haven't ridden in my coldest yet, but i have been in the upper 50's/lower 60's and they've done well. much better than having no handguards at all.

HTH

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Could somebody please tell me about the mounting for the Powermadd's I see some on ebay and I see Powermadd flexible mounts as well. Do you have to move clutch or front brake lever?

if someone else doesn't beat me to it i'll see if i can get some quick pics up tomorrow. in short, using the mounts i used i had to move the clutch and brake levers. the mounts go between the grips and the levers. does that answer your question?

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
1/4 inch ? maybe. i noticed it when i first did it simply because it was a change. but a quick ride and i was already used to it.

i only have two issues that i just have to deal with.

1 - my clutch lever slightly touches my left handguard. makes me wish i had some of those high dollar levers. i've thought about just cutting off the ball on the end of the lever, but i'm pretty sure it's a safety feature. so i think i'll just leave it alone.

2 - keep in mind for this one that i have an '06 with up/back risers... when my bars are turned to their max they will hit the windshield. i NEVER have to deal with this except for when i back up each morning and turn my bars their max. otherwise it never happens. i've never even had it happen when i do u-turns. maybe i'm not doing them correctly, but they've never hit except for at their absolute max and that's when i back up.

i'll try and take a quick pic of these two issues as well.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot Dean. I have bar-backs as well. I made a quick left side out of a plastic 44 oz. drink cup. Just went out to the garage and realized the turn hazard. It'll be OK. I only turn that way when I back out of the garage!!! Going to experiment with hard plastic spray bottles (cut down the center) clamped to the inside of the levers! It'll look ghastly but for the winter I don't care!

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
according to the diagram discgolddude posted, i have mine on upside down. when i first got them i actually tried to install them that way but couldn't get them on because of the cables that come out of the controls. i might try and give it another go some time soon.

also, these pictures are horrible. but hopefully they give you an idea of what i was saying.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

in this one you can see that my clutch lever isn't touching but that's because my clutch lever never fully "expands". you can see the little gap at the hinge.
IMG_0437.jpg

this is fully extended. it would hit but that screw got bent when i dropped my bike at a camp ground (stinkin' uneven dirt). i've used the bend to my advantage so it no longer hits. but you can see where it would hit (and did hit before the screw was bent).
IMG_0439.jpg

brake lever has no issues.
IMG_0438.jpg

and here it is fully locked and hitting the screen. as i said, not a big deal. only turn my bars this far when i'm backing out in the morning.
IMG_0440.jpg

hope that helps.

cowauto

Stop raining on me!
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the powermadds. They make a BIG difference when its cold and wet. They are a piece of cake to fit, and are pretty sturdy too - they survived a high-side last week with nothing but a mere scratch!
I've got a nekid, so obviously no problems with being able to get full lock.

I know some people say they look ugly or out of place, but to be honest I don't give a damn! When riding every day here in the UK you learn to expect it to be cold and wet at least 75% of the time. I'm just happy to be able to feel my fingers :thumbup:

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I'm just happy to be able to feel my fingers :thumbup:

AMEN! the reason i got mine was because of riding on a cold rainy day and not being able to feel my fingers. i came from a gl650 with a full fairing and never had that issue. these things are great.

btw, did you have to mount yours "up top" like i did mine or were you able to mount them "down below" like the instructions say?

cowauto

Stop raining on me!
Reaction score
Visit site
btw, did you have to mount yours "up top" like i did mine or were you able to mount them "down below" like the instructions say?

I mounted mine up over the top too. I seem to remember that the other way of mounting is more designed for ATVs which usually have a different sized/shaped throttle body.