Gunz! AR style

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of picking out the bits for my first build. I tend to research the crap out of things before doing it, so bare with me on this.

Here's what I'm looking at getting:
Lower
Spikes Tactical stripped lower (already have this)
PSA Classic LPK w/o FCG PSA AR15 Lower - Lower Receivers - Lower Parts - AR-15

(one of the following)
Bushmaster Competition Trigger Kit Competition Trigger Kit AR-15 Matte
RRA Match 2-stage trigger - standard PK Firearms | Online Store
AR-15 Non-Adjustable Trigger Kit (JARD) AR-15 NON-ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER KIT - Brownells
Del-Ton 2-stage combat trigger assembly Two Stage Combat Trigger Assembly AR-15 AR-10 LR-308 Small Pin .154 Matte

A2 Rifle Stock Completion Kit AR-15/M16 STOCK COMPLETION KITS - Brownells
MOE Rifle Stock (Magpul) FIXED & PRECISION ADJUSTABLE STOCKS – AR15/M16 Type Rifles, FN FAL, HK G3 - MOE® Rifle Stock

Upper
Spikes Tactical Upper M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver - Forged M4 Flat Top (Multi Cal) [SFT50M4] - $115.00 : Spikes Tactical
Spikes Tactical Bolt/Carrier Set AR-15/M16 BOLT & CARRIER SETS - Brownells
BCM Charging Handle, Medium AR-15/M16/AR .308 BCM GUNFIGHTER CHARGING HANDLE - Brownells
SI Defense Barrel AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO 18" HBAR Contour 1 in 8" Twist Matte SI Defense Barrel AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO 18" HBAR Contour 1 in 8" Twist Matte
Nordic Components Tactical Muzzle Brake 1/2"-28 Thread AR-15 Matte Nordic Components Tactical Muzzle Brake 1/2"-28 Thread AR-15 Matte
Yankee Hill machine diamond free float tube handguard, rifle length Machine Diamond Free Float Tube Handguard AR-15 Aluminum Matte
Del-Ton gas tube, rifle length Gas Tube Rifle AR-15 LR-308
Yankee Hill gas block, low profile, clamp-on Machine Gas Block Low Profile Clamp-On AR-15 LR-308 Standard Barrel 0.750 Inside Diameter Steel Matte
MBUS Magpul back-up sight, front MBUS® RIFLE SIGHTS - MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Front GEN 2
MBUS Magpul back-up sight, rear MBUS® RIFLE SIGHTS - MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Rear GEN 2

I plan to do some sort of optics as well, though I'm not sure what.

Thoughts and opinions on this build would be greatly appreciated, especially whether or not things will fit together.

Driftboat

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a Delton and cant be any happier with it,50 yrds its dead on,i do plan on upgrading parts later in time ,need to get it built b4 the zombie apocalypse hit,lol

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a Delton and cant be any happier with it,50 yrds its dead on,i do plan on upgrading parts later in time ,need to get it built b4 the zombie apocalypse hit,lol

I got talking to a kid in my chemistry lab about building this. He's done one or two, and also does AR-replica airsoft guns. The kid is obsessed.

Long story short, it took everything I had not to laugh in his face when he straight-up, seriously, said he was preparing for the apocalypse.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
For the trigger, I'd suggest the RRA 2 stage kit. I have installed this same trigger on both of my AR's.

I'm a big fan of YHM stuff. Both of my AR's are wearing YHM Diamond rails, and have YHM muzzle accessories. One has the Phantom comp/brake while the other has the comp/ flash hider. YHM makes a high quality product in the USA at very fair prices.

Also, if you go with a low profile gas block, I'd get the next size longer rail than your gun should use. In this case, the gas block will be covered by the rail and the install will look very clean. YHM makes a LP gas block for about $20 and they sell a threaded end cap that fills the end of the rail.

Here's my most recent build: It's a Stag Arms lower with a Del-Ton 16" mid length heavy barrel. It's chrome lined and has a twist of 1x7. Other goodies include stuff from Magpul, Spikes Tactial and an illuminated reticle 1-4x24 mm Burris scope.

ry%3D480
ry%3D480

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I was going to suggest not getting the muzzle brake because they're so loud, but you're in New York. Carry on. :D

The RRA is a good trigger, but make sure RMA it with the mfg. if it feels off. Lemons can escape the factory sometimes.

+1 for the long rail over the low pro gas block. If YHM doesn't make it an extended rifle length, Midwest does. It has the bonus of extending your sight radius since you're starting with irons only. I used one to push my bipod further out.

looong3.jpg

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
For the trigger, I'd suggest the RRA 2 stage kit. I have installed this same trigger on both of my AR's.

I'm a big fan of YHM stuff. Both of my AR's are wearing YHM Diamond rails, and have YHM muzzle accessories. One has the Phantom comp/brake while the other has the comp/ flash hider. YHM makes a high quality product in the USA at very fair prices.

Also, if you go with a low profile gas block, I'd get the next size longer rail than your gun should use. In this case, the gas block will be covered by the rail and the install will look very clean. YHM makes a LP gas block for about $20 and they sell a threaded end cap that fills the end of the rail.

Here's my most recent build: It's a Stag Arms lower with a Del-Ton 16" mid length heavy barrel. It's chrome lined and has a twist of 1x7. Other goodies include stuff from Magpul, Spikes Tactial and an illuminated reticle 1-4x24 mm Burris scope.

ry%3D480
ry%3D480

I can see what you mean about the rails being long enough to cover the block. I believe YHM has extended length rifle rails. I'll do some digging and see. I really like the look of the YHM diamond rails, and the price is great. I definitely like the look of the end as well. It certainly looks better than leaving it open. For $20, I can't see a reason to not do it.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I was going to suggest not getting the muzzle brake because they're so loud, but you're in New York. Carry on. :D

The RRA is a good trigger, but make sure RMA it with the mfg. if it feels off. Lemons can escape the factory sometimes.

+1 for the long rail over the low pro gas block. If YHM doesn't make it an extended rifle length, Midwest does. It has the bonus of extending your sight radius since you're starting with irons only. I used one to push my bipod further out.

looong3.jpg

That's a really nice AR. I like the wood stock and grip. It looks really nice.

I'm doing the iron sights, but will have some form of optic as well, I just haven't picked that set out yet. It's kind of a "if the price is right when I find it, I'll get it" kind of thing.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the Vortex SPARC. It's what I've got on my other AR.

fdear4.jpg

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the Vortex SPARC. It's what I've got on my other AR.

fdear4.jpg

I haven't decided if I want a magnified optic or not. Or just a red dot type. I think that's partially because I don't know about the use I want to get out of it.

How is the zero if you take the optics off and put them back on? Does it stay consistent or do you have to re-zero?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah. That's my problem. I'm looking at building my own too, and when I saw the cost of all the tools I'd need to build it, I :eek: and then started looking at complete uppers and lowers.

That's why I'm building mine. It's a lot financially easier, and mentally easier, to piece it together $100 at a time than it is to drop a chunk for $200-$500 at a time that it would cost to buy complete pieces.

I see the most of the tools as something I'll need anyway at some point, so this is just an excuse to finally get them.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Did somebody say AR15 thread?? Can't believe I'm late to the party...

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

The top rifle is a BCM 16" mid length. EOtech 512, MBUS, magpul MS2 sling. This is a great rifle that I have shot many many rounds through. Love it!

Up next is my Daniel Defense, 16" CHF barrel, mid length, 12" omega free float rail. MBUS front and back. This one may get an EOtech or maybe some glass. I still havent decided yet. It's a work in progress but quite a fine rifle.

Both of the guns are on stripped lowers that I assembled myself, the BCM is on a stag lower, and the DD is on an Ardel Engineering lower. I haven't had the guts to build my own upper half yet, both of the uppers were purchased complete.

To the OP, Kudos to you for building your own complete rifle as a first one. I will someday be that ambitious! Looks like you are on the right path as far as quality goes, and seems like you have your specific needs/interests figured out pretty well.
To all: Keep up the posts!

Pranqster

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I got talking to a kid in my chemistry lab about building this. He's done one or two, and also does AR-replica airsoft guns. The kid is obsessed.

Long story short, it took everything I had not to laugh in his face when he straight-up, seriously, said he was preparing for the apocalypse.

Certain good old boys are so used to scare tactics they've convinced themselves the end is near!

Last edited:

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like he is passionate about guns and perhaps a bit nutty about what he wants them for. I don't see how that has much to do with any political affiliation.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting antsy, so I have to bring this back to life to share!

Here's where I'm at with it:

Spikes Lower with RRA 2-stage trigger set and LPK
ERGO grip
Magpul MOE Rifle stock (finally are available!)
LAR Grizzler Upper receiver
DPMS 18" 5.56 barrel
Midwest Industries 15" free float
Yankee Hill Phantom Muzzle Brake

Still waiting for a bolt carrier group. Darn things are harder to find at a decent price than unobtanium!