Gsxs1000 vs s1000r

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I've narrowed down my next bike purchase to either the BMW S1000R or Suzuki GSXS1000.

I've been set on the BMW since it was released but I'm starting to have some reservations.

I'm actually starting to think the GSXS1000 might be better than the S1000R. The differences are seemingly minor details at this point.

Sure, the S1000R is technically the better bike, but is it 46% better? The S1000R is 29% more expensive for the base model and 46% more expensive for the premium model. I've never actually seen a base at the dealer, so generally speaking, the BMW is nearly 50% more money than the Suzuki.

Is it 50% more bike, I'm starting to think not.

What do you guys think, if you had to pick between the two which would you choose and why?

fnhjye.jpg

GSXS1000, $10,499, 145whp, 461 lbs

2hflvyd.jpg

S1000R, $15,295, 150whp, 456 lbs

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup! I'm thinking a ecu flash and full exhaust would work most of the kinks up and bring the power up close to Tuono levels. I think the suspension sounds adequate if your not doing track days so I'd leave that be.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be happier on the BMW because it likely comes with heated grips, but for the price (and price of maintenance down the road) the Suzuki is clearly better. Also I think its difficult to completely turn off the traction control on the beamer, but from what I've read the Suzukis can be completely turned off just like selecting another mode. Does the Suzuki have ESA?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait a minute......? How did Kawasaki get in on this on the acceleration for the 1/4 mile? Guess it was an typo and was supposed to be KTM...
Shootout_Streetfighter_ChartNew.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden s1000rr (not exactly the same, but same platform) and I've ridden gsxs750 and gsxr1000 (again, not the same, but gave me an idea).

If you're coming from FZ6, both bike will feel like absolute rockets to you.. they're very very fast.
For me, the choice would be simple: Zukie hands down! Way cheaper to buy and maintain. Outstanding quality, very smooth engine (both 750 and 1k) and very smooth transmission (smoother than BMW's).

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a local cycle magazine recently and they reviews the GSXS 1000, and were very impressed. It's on the 07/08 GSXR1000 mill, but they reworked a bunch of the inner parts for low end grunt - and it was apparently very capable. Plus, for the difference in price, you could get a bunch of mods done to it to customize it a little further.