Greyhound advice, please

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
The dog, not the bus...

Just got a greyhound puppy and wondering how best I can exercise her as she grows up. I don't have a fenced off yard/garden off my own, but I'm lucky I do live in pretty open countryside. If I let her off the leash out there, I might not be able to call her back and/or she rips some neighbour's small dog or cat to bits. A muzzle perhaps?

Any advice from experienced greyhound owners much appreciated!

Thanks

S

well dang i thought you meant the bus. i dont know crap about greyhound dogs. i guess i would say dont try to run from it lol.

My Mom had an ex-racer grayhound for about 10 years. She lived in the country and never let it off leash. The people she adopted her from said the dogs are hard wired to chase and will not stop until they catch whatever they are after. She did have a medium sized yard and threw the ball for the dog. I've NEVER seen a dog as quick as that one.

I would NOT advise letting her go off lead. They are sight hounds, and may find something to chase far away, with no concern for cars or where they are going. It would be tragic if you lost her to an accident. Please do NOT let her off lead.
They are sprinters, so despite what most people think, they are NOT high energy dogs. They are the most recommended breed for apartment owners. Greyhounds are nicknamed the "45 Mile an Hour Couch Potatoes." Just a daily walk and some play inside will be plenty to exercise your new girl! :D
You can also check your area for a SIGHT HOUND organization. They usually have lure courses (contained) that you can take her to for some fun. They may also have some more advice for you on training your puppy.
Have fun!!

Good stuff Elizabeth, thanks. :thumbup:

I always has scent hounds; basset, and basset mix. I'd let them off lead only bacause I could run and catch them! They are the opposite of my Mom's grey hound, they'd play outside all day if people were there, but thye couldn't entertain themselves and begin baying! HAROOOOOOOOO! Sounded like a murder.

That said my Mom's dog ate the interior of her car one day. :(

The one on the floor looks like my first Basset male.

View attachment 24724

Last edited:
We used to take my brothers dog to the local soccer field. He was a former racer dog. I would hold the dog and my brother would take off running and the dog would give chase. He was fast but not fast enough at the track lol. The field was fenced in so he couldn't get out. He did chase a deer once gave up after a while and came back home. I would think if you roughy your puppy to obey at a young age it will be easier to "control" when it's older and wants to give chase. They are good dogs

Greyhounds are wonderful dogs. Lots of fun. I adopted 2 former race dogs ages ago. Most of the time, they would lounge around the house and I had a very small fenced in area to let them play in.

If they get away from you without a leash, you will not catch them until they feel like coming home. Mine were both suckers for cheese cubes though, so I could lure them back if they did get out of the yard.

When I wanted to let the girls get out and really play, I would take them to a local baseball field that was fenced in and let them run around. Eventually, I purchased an electric r/c truck that was pretty quick, and I would strap a plastic bag to the car and run it around for them to chase. They realllly liked the truck. They were a lot faster than it was, but couldn't change directions quite as quick, so they didn't get bored too quickly. (Think Hayabusa vs FZ6 in the twisties)

Word of advice, if they come running at you at full speed... Don't move. If you move, they'll plow over you. The girls thought it was a hoot to run at me at full speed and veer off to one side or the other right before impact... Almost killed me the one time I side-stepped. lol.

This is Batty, she was our party mascot. :ban:
View attachment 24727

For those wondering, with much support from friends, she was able to quit smoking and drinking before moving on to her new family.

Where are the pictures of your new puppy?!

~Scott

Where are the pictures of your new puppy?!

Here is Evie:

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for all the posts, I'll feel much more confident how to exercise her now.

Simon

I owned eight greyhounds. They all raced. I was a racing owner. My dogs raced in Oregon, Kansas, and Florida. I grew up around the industry.

Like others have said, greyhounds, especially retired ones, make GREAT PETS! They love attention, and are very mild mannered are great with kids. If your looking for a dog to defend your house while your away at work, this is not the dog. As it well welcome the burglar rather than scare them away. Very friendly dogs. Will even get along with your cats believe it or not. And mentioned, they are the biggest couch potatoes you will every see. LOL..
And always, the most popular dog around the park or neighborhood, as it becomes the main talk of conversation. Best part, they are given away, not sold. But not without proper screening.

Some people think that they are aggressive, mean dogs that like to kill. Thinking like thats gives them the reason for wearing a muzzle when they race. The muzzle is used to determine what place they finish in the race in the event it becomes a photo finish.

Sorry I'm not experienced from dealing with puppies that have never raced, just the dogs that are former racers. We have enough greyhounds in this world breeded for racing that will never end up having a home.

Sorry I'm not experienced from dealing with puppies that have never raced, just the dogs that are former racers. We have enough greyhounds in this world breeded for racing that will never end up having a home.

I agree and was considering a retired racing greyhound, but this puppy was 'accidental' in that the breeder didn't intend the parents to come together, so I feel not altogether unselfish in giving her a home.

A well trained dog will come back only if you get her before she gets in chase mode so keep an eye on her and as soon as she thinks about it give her an assertive no. My dog is a basenji which is a "sight and scent" dog that loves to chase, and he's hardly ever on a leash. As far as exercise buy yourself a 4 dollar laser and get her to chase that. Works wonders for my basenji, and he is super-fast. He can keep up with the big dogs no problem.

Don't listen to everybody else. Your best bet is to call 1-800-231-2222. This is the number for Greyhound. They should be happy to advise with your concerns.

Just out of curiosity, but shouldn't you have asked these questions BEFORE getting the dog? That's how a lot of people get into trouble, getting in over their heads.

Just out of curiosity, but shouldn't you have asked these questions BEFORE getting the dog? That's how a lot of people get into trouble, getting in over their heads.

Yes, you're right, good point, but sometimes doing things with the heart rather than the head turn out for the good. I sooo wanted a pet after my two cats died - they were with me for 18 happy years and they came as a bit of an impulse, too.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for the all the advice offered here and feel very confident I'll be able to work out a good exercise routine with Evie. She seems to have a wonderful personality already.

Simon

Last edited:
Yes, you're right, good point, but sometimes doing things with the heart rather than the head turn out for the good. I sooo wanted a pet after my two cats died - they were with me for 18 happy years and they came as a bit of an impulse, too.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for the all the advice offered here and feel very confident I'll be able to work out a good exercise routine with Evie. She seems to have a wonderful personality already.

Simon

Don't get me wrong. I understand why you did what you did. I myself did something similar, and that's how I ended up with my lab (he was going to be put down if someone didn't take it, simply because he and the other lab were fighting to the point where one was going to die, quite literally). We didn't even have a house, and we agreed to take him (there's not a thing wrong with him, aside from not getting along with ONE dog).

So true, especially after that Disney movie came out; 101 Dalmations, or something like that. After that movie, everyone went out and got a Dalmation, not knowing what kind of a dog they were. They had no idea what they were getting into. All they saw was a cute puppy and the dogs that they saw in the movie.

But like any dog, give it a lot of attention and love, and they will be your best friend. They are very loyal. Always pleased and very happy to see you walk in thru that front door, no matter what kind of a day you had, good or bad.

So true, especially after that Disney movie came out; 101 Dalmations, or something like that. After that movie, everyone went out and got a Dalmation, not knowing what kind of a dog they were. They had no idea what they were getting into. All they saw was a cute puppy and the dogs that they saw in the movie.

But like any dog, give it a lot of attention and love, and they will be your best friend. They are very loyal. Always pleased and very happy to see you walk in thru that front door, no matter what kind of a day you had, good or bad.

Apparently my dog was pacing tonight waiting for me to get home from class (my wife was telling me this). Granted, now that I'm home he's completely ignoring me.

Back