Great Ocean Road Trip

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
It twas a little past 3 am when my alarm went off dictating the predefined time to get up and get moving....

Myself on the FZ6N and spook on his GPX250 decided months ago that we needed to get away for a few days. Something small to get used to long distances. Only a week before leaving we chose the destination. A mate, Trevor, was about to have a birthday so we decided to head down a day early to suprise him.

Our route to Colac:
from:Boronia Ct to:Wellington Rd to:Langhorne Creek Rd to:princes Hwy to:princes Hwy to:Agnes St to:George St to:Benara Rd to:princes Hwy to:princes Hwy to:Jackman Ave to:-38.34311,143.585701 - Google Maps

Google maps says 711 kms but my trip meter said 760kms.

The road down to Wellington was great and the ferry ride also not a problem. The section of road between Meningie and Kingston SE was pure evil.

The smell was like nothing I have ever put up with before and I worked at a piggery once. The bugs were also at insane levels causing near zero visibility at times. A section of road we will never visit again. I am told the bugs are worst at dawn and dusk but the smell is always there. Pity the road itself was good.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We stopped at Salt Creek but the store was not open. Luckily they left their window washing gear out.

picture.php

We then headed to Kingston SE and were greated by a Giant Lobster. We refuelled at the BP and were served a pastry breakfast by a nice looking young woman. Spook called the Lobster a prawn and got a local chuckling and shaking his head. Everyone there seems to have a 4x4 and a boat.

picture.php

The road from Kingston SE was long and very boring. In fact most of it to Mt Gambier was not really exiting. The roads were in good condition though. Most newly sealed and very little bad patches which I thought was impressive for the middle of no-where.

First time I have ever been to Mt. Gambier and for some reason I found Blue Lake without trying too hard. Looks fantastic.

picture.php

After the morning we had we decided to head straight for Colac and were there around 3pm. Very sore and tired. The Scotch was very enjoyable.

We stayed at trevors two nights and then headed on down to Lorne the start of the Great Ocean Road.

picture.php

picture.php

The ride home:

from:Colac Lavers Hill Rd to:Colac Forrest Rd to:Turner Dr to:Birregurra Forrest Rd to:Deans Marsh Lorne Rd to:Deans Marsh Rd to:Great Ocean Rd to:Great Ocean Rd to:Great Ocean Rd to:Kelp St to:Villiers St to:princes Hwy to:Riddoch Hwy to:Riddoch Hwy

JayJay

Reaction score
Lorne has become a huge tourist destination by the looks of it. The main street was packed with cars and slow to push through. We fueled up and a local suggested we hit the back streets to get to the other side of the town which turned out to be quicker but there are some steep hills there.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finally on the Great Ocean Road and let me tell you the roads are AWESOME. Too bad the cars travel at 40kmph everywhere. Where possible I would give it a burst and do some risky overtaking which is how I got some pictures of spook catching up.

picture.php

picture.php

JayJay

Reaction score
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Soon after a WRX decided to sit up spooks arse and was very eager to get by us and the cars in front. Wasnt long and he was behind me as I refused to overtake cars on blind corners. I did however keep him at bay and left him for dead in sections. I decided to take a easy out and stop at princetown which allowed spook to rejoin me and we got some eats as well.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then off to the 8.5 aposils (sorry no pics) and then on to the Bay of Islands which was very beautiful.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

JayJay

Reaction score
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

From there we pushed it and made Mt Gambier before nightfall and continued to push past through to Penola where we changed helmet lenses and with a mission to get home kept going till we hit Keith where I was getting very low on fuel and there were no petrol stations open. We kept going till we hit Tintinara and stopped at the first petrol station we saw which was also closed.

Accross the road was the Pub so we went in for a drink and some advice which was great cause there was a 24 hour Mobil just down the road!

We stopped there for fuel and food and then pushed once again down the highway, overtaking trucks here and there and decided that the next stop would be home!

905kms and my ass is still sore the day after!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell dude those bugs are extreme :eek: , looks like an awesome trip though and yes Blue Lake is easy to find and beautiful aswell :thumbup: I really have to ride the GOR before all the apostiles are gone :(

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome picks. I've gone as far as Port Campbell, but in a car (drove from Melb).
Would love to do it on a bike (but I think I'd avoid the piggery):shakehead:

Mr Spook

Reaction score
Visit site
After 9 months of talking about it Jay Jay and I finally did it
as im awaiting my r-date course and no expert on all things Bike
I will say
The Great ocean road was a great ride some thing i will do again :rockon: ( minus the Bug's, tourist's and 4x4's :eek: )

I would ride it all again tomorrow,

can't wait till October for the Moto GP.

so we can ride it again on the way home:rockon:

GPS Stats:
Avg Speed : 86.4km/per hour
Max Speed : 149km
total time moving : 24 hours 26 min
total time stopped : 4 hours 22 min
total distance : 1835.96 km

And one hell of a Spit Roast cooked by Flammers mum:rockon:

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Not me, I grew up in Minnesota (land of 10,000 lakes) and sometimes it gets real bad at night in the summer when near lakes.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! Great photo's, great write up, glad your home safe....

Re the bugs, i have similar photo's from riding the same roads this time last year...and yes, it is insane!

Thanks for sharing Jay.

:rockon:

JayJay

Reaction score
Too bad you could not have joined us wolfman. Could have prevented the bug attack. lol.

Next time I would like to have a footage camera mounted on the bike and a room with a spa bath instead of a tent.

Many Many Thanks to spook tho...If it wasn't for him and his contributions I would not have made it back from Victoria. Highly underestimated how much fuel the FZ6 would burn through on the highway to be honest.

Defiantly would love to do the ride again!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad you could not have joined us wolfman. Could have prevented the bug attack. lol.

Next time I would like to have a footage camera mounted on the bike and a room with a spa bath instead of a tent.

Many Many Thanks to spook tho...If it wasn't for him and his contributions I would not have made it back from Victoria. Highly underestimated how much fuel the FZ6 would burn through on the highway to be honest.

Defiantly would love to do the ride again!

Yep, Hotels are the way to go when your riding big distances....wake up much fresher, than sleeping on the ground! YUK!

:rockon:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice trip boys, it gets a bit busy this time of the year aye!!!!Maybe the reason I move from my house at Lorne in to Geelong between November and March!!! I am right behind the Indian Cafe in Smith Street opposite the Police Station.
For me though, it is of the best rides in Oz.
Catch Ya

Horrace