GPS wired switched or always on

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a GPS on it's way I'm asking how you have it wired up. Why straight to the battery always on would be better than on a switched source.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whichever way you go make sure you fuse it close to the source you tap into.

I have to do the same thing. I saw on another post where someone wire up a waterproof lighter socket to the inside of the fairing. Looked good and you might get some good info from searching posts under 'power outlet/lighter socket/gps etc.

Happy riding!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Got my TomTom wired to the tail light.

Since you normally take your GPS with you when you leave the bike, there should not be a problem with unswitched, - but if you are like me, - it's better to be safe than sorry :)

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I had read all those post I'm going to install a switched relay fuse panel under the fairing with at least 1 powerlet socket. This forum is filled with awesome info which is usually my first step before working on the FZ. Being a mechanic my whole life and doing all my own maintenance I am a member of every forum pertaining to each of my vehicles what would we do without the wealth of information out there. :rockon: My brother has his gps wired always on which he like's because while he's stopped taking a break or refueling he can check things on the gps just wondering how many others do the same.

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of connecting it to switched easy enough to start bike up to check gps. It's a streetpilot 2610 my brother is mailing me for free he's been using a newer pilot and this was just laying around. I also have a Shad SH50 and rack on it's way can't wait to hit the Smokey's this spring.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
You two options really. The safest is to wire it into a relay that is switched on by a point that only has power when the ignition is on like I did here.

The other option would be to wire it directly into the battery and include a switch somewhere on the live connection so you can turn it on and off when needed. This would be simplest but you have the risk of leaving it on over-night and finding you have killed your battery (and often, once they are completely discharged you have to buy a new one).

Either way, make sure there is a fuse on the live connection to the battery. Personally I would (and have) go with the safer first option. You can always use the GPS on battery for 5 minutes or turn the key to use it when not riding! ;)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine wired directly to the battery. In over a year and a half I've yet to kill the battery. I do take it off the bike when It's stored, but it stays on the bike while I'm out. I left it on the bike and powered on for a day and a half once and I had no problems with the battery.

I chose not to have it power down with a switch for a reason. Every time you stop and turn the key off the GPS turns off. If your like me that is really often on some rides, and can be a real PIA if your relying on it for directions. Personel preference I guess.