GPS Units

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fellas,
So... I've decided to get a gps unit for the bike. Mainly because it sucks holding a piece of paper with hand written directions when you're looking for an address... but it'd also be pretty cool to keep track of the roads you've been on.

That being said... Is it possible to power the gps unit through the bike's electrical system?

Let a brother know! Also, what gps units do you guys recommend? As a disclaimer, I can't justify spending 500 bucks on a zumo or tomtom rider 2.

KG

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
To answer your first question, yes you can power a GPS off the bikes electrical system. I've got mine hooked up. As a matter of fact, all the wiring came with the GPS when I bought it.

As for your second question, there are many GPSes out there. I've got a lower end Garmin Zumo (450). I like the Zumos because they are built rugged for motorcycles and are waterproof. I got the low end because I don't use all the extras like Bluetooth, XM Radio, etc.

B

bluenova

Zumo 550 here too. I'm not sure you'll find the tracking ability in lower end GPS's.

Z

zoomman

Hey Fellas,
So... I've decided to get a gps unit for the bike. Mainly because it sucks holding a piece of paper with hand written directions when you're looking for an address... but it'd also be pretty cool to keep track of the roads you've been on.

That being said... Is it possible to power the gps unit through the bike's electrical system?

Let a brother know! Also, what gps units do you guys recommend? As a disclaimer, I can't justify spending 500 bucks on a zumo or tomtom rider 2.

KG

I just purchased the TomTom Rider2, great unit! The headset has great sound and the unit itself is extremely durable and made very well. The good thing about it that you can easily move it to the car , but here's the kicker, (BIG CON) the rider2 does not have a speaker. You have to buy the car mounting kit which comes with a built in speaker, this ran another $75.00 us dollars. So yes, this makes it a very expensive choice for GPS.

fred4theday

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Garmin Quest which is attached to my tank bag along with a headphone amp
P1020512-1.jpg

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Garmin Zumo is the best out there right now. Agree with it being a tough, rugged unit designed for bikes. Everything comes with the unit.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site