GPS Mounting Ideas

lmarti001

AirBorne!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a 08 FZ. I have already hardwired my radar detector and mounted it on the wind shield of the bike, however I am having a difficult time coming up with mounting ideas for my GPS. I know they sell mounts that attach to the handle bars, but I wanted to do something different. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pID=310&img=productImageRFLarge

Any ideas would be much appreciated. This will be my winter project.

fred4theday

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a 08 FZ. I have already hardwired my radar detector and mounted it on the wind shield of the bike, however I am having a difficult time coming up with mounting ideas for my GPS. I know they sell mounts that attach to the handle bars, but I wanted to do something different. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pID=310&img=productImageRFLarge

Any ideas would be much appreciated. This will be my winter project.
I wired my tank bag to hold the GPS and a small audio amplifier.

P1020512-1.jpg

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have that same GPS unit, and have also idly thought about how to mount it. There is an accessory to mount it to handlebars. It's intended to mount on bike handlebars, which are smaller diameter than the FZ6 handebar. Might be expandable enough to fit. It doesn't give you any positioning flexibility though - it just sits perpendicular to the handlebar. It probably would be a little ****eyed, but still usable, I'd think.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the GPSmap 60 which is the same design, and use the Garmin handle bar mount. The same mount seems to be used across the range so if you have different Garmins you just need the appropriate bracket for on the GPS. The handle bar mount is about at it's limit (when using the rubber protector) on the FZ bars.

The mount looks neat when no GPS mounted too...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I know you don't want the handlebar mount, but I don't really see any alternatives. If you mount it any different, it will be a "bag-mount" which I don't consider a mount and it makes wiring a major problem when you don't have the bag mounted.
The other option is using a suction cup, - which for me at least is a temperary solution ONLY. I simply don't trust the little buggers, - knowing what temperature changes does to air and humidity.

I have used a RAM mount (I have the TomTom Rider2) that works like a charm. The GPS is in reach, fully visible. even with my tank bag on, and not in my way at any time. (And it leaves room for 1 of my bike cams).

Blake108

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so the following sites are handlebar mounts, but I thought these products where really neat, and you may benefit from them:

First is a variation of the RAM mount that uses Machined Aluminum:

TECHMOUNT - Products

Next is some awesome GPS shock mounts with locking features from the adventure motorcycle people at Touratech. Look for the link to the GPS mounts on the upper right corner of the homepage. They have a model just for your GPS. I believe they have some windscreen mounts for the BMW's that might be adapted to the FZ6.

01-065-0077-01-lg.jpg

Touratech-USA Motorcycle Adventure Touring Accessories from Germany

Hope that helps!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the GPSmap 60 which is the same design, and use the Garmin handle bar mount. The same mount seems to be used across the range so if you have different Garmins you just need the appropriate bracket for on the GPS. The handle bar mount is about at it's limit (when using the rubber protector) on the FZ bars.

yep, that same setup worked on mine too. thanks for inspiring me to mount it. seems i get lost frequently while riding.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com

I also used the Garmin handlebar mount for a couple of years. However, it cracked on me, I guess due to handlebar vibration, so I've changed to a RAM mount.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool man, I'm glad it worked out for you. Are you having any problems seeing over it?

No but it took a while getting the right balance between beeing able to see the speedo in my normal riding position and it not interfering with my tank bag, this foto shows what I see from the riding position.:

View attachment 14305

Thanks again for the tip :thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to come up with something to mount it above the speedo etc so it's easier to see and protected by the screen. Some kind of bar that's flattened on the ends and screws in the screen or inner fairing mounts. I haven't devoted much time to this though as I've just used a mirror mount and modified the original car windscreen mount to fit to that. There's details on my site.