Got my DYNO today.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well after having many many issues with my PCV, i finally broke down and paid the $300 to have it tuned correctly. I must say im a little disappointed. I knew it wouldnt be a HUUUGE increase, but after 2bros cans, K&N, a de-snorkled (<new word) airbox and PCV, my bike is only showing 86 whp... Sounds damn low to me. I was looking for 95 or so... Im thinking the dyno was just being very stingy... but dang. kinda puts a damper on it lol. Oh well, it seems to ride better, alot smoother. Not a $300 difference, but if its running how it should, im happy. The only issue i have seen so far is that at idle it wants to jump up and down every so slightly. Never did that before (lookin from some input from KRID80 on this one, any ideas?)

well... here is the paper work.... Anyone know what a good equation to figure out WHP to Crank HP?

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
1.15 X RWHP should come pretty close to crankshaft HP. Last time I saw anything written about it, it's common to 'lose' 15% going across the transmission and drive train.

Regardless, 80+ HP at the rear wheel is nothing to sneeze at. Especially with a light motorcycle. There's an awful lot of cruisers out that that weigh 200lbs more, that can't get anywhere near those numbers.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
different dynos read differently. I wouldn't worry about the 86hp.

The rough idle is something I have as well, but have had for a while. Did you have a rough idle before the tune?

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if it's the USA version that we are getting. Are the dyno's different overseas? They don't support us very well as it is might as well scrimp on HP. :spank::spank: Probably not but just an idea.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
The only way to truly compare is to have everyone to use either the same dyno or use the same dyno for before and after modification testing. Then you can just compare net gains.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't sweat it, the numbers are fine. I mine made about 82 on a Factory Pro dyno. What you are concerned with are the before and after numbers, and if you like the ride better.

If you see an improvement of 5 to 8 hp with only a PC and pipe you're in the right neighborhood.

Without major money you'll never make big power out of this motor.

What I liked most about my tune was the improvement of the throttle, night and day.

On my Buell it went from almost unrideable to better than any bike I've ever owned, all from the PC and good tuning.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The rough idle is something I have as well, but have had for a while. Did you have a rough idle before the tune?
It wasn't perfect before the tune. but not noticeable. Now it is quite noticeable, in fact just to get a better idea i hooked it up to the laptop to get a little better readings, it looks like it bounces between 10XX to 12XX RPMS. Its hard to tell because it does it so fast but. Ill have to call them tomorrow and see. They also upped all my idle numbers up to 30 since i was having the stalling issue. Seems to have gone away. It rides alot smoother, but i wouldn't call it "night and day" by any means. I guess I just had high hopes of it being a drastic change.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
try it with the snorkel back in?

What fuel and octane? Oxygenated (E10)?

Is the O2 still disconnected or did you reconnect it before the dyno session?

Last edited:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
try it with the snorkel back in?

What fuel and octane? Oxygenated (E10)?

Is the O2 still disconnected or did you reconnect it before the dyno session?

I, too, wondered about the airbox mod being a factor. A large opening allows air to flow easier into the airbox but possibly reduces the air speed. I am not sure this would make a difference since the velocity stacks are still stock. I guess this is still an unknown.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Totally cored pipes have a similar effect. With my 1125 we cored my Free Spirits exhaust, got it to run awesome on the dyne, buuut, the idle "bounced" between 1,200 and 1,700 when the motor was below 170 degrees. Then I did the custom exhaust with proper mufflers and the bounce went away and the bike was smooth as silk. Keep in mind airboxes are tuned to a given motor and have a large impact on the operation motor. Finally, most if not all race teams run a stock airfilter (paper) to help the charge trapping within the airbox; nee: Hemholtz Effect.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/Helmholtz.html

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
^^^ Totally cored pipes have a similar effect. With my 1125 we cored my Free Spirits exhaust, got it to run awesome on the dyne, buuut, the idle "bounced" between 1,200 and 1,700 when the motor was below 170 degrees. Then I did the custom exhaust with proper mufflers and the bounce went away and the bike was smooth as silk. Keep in mind airboxes are tuned to a given motor and have a large impact on the operation motor. Finally, most if not all race teams run a stock airfilter (paper) to help the charge trapping within the airbox; nee: Hemholtz Effect.

Helmholtz Resonance

this follows my findings as well. My choppy idle smooths out when I cover one of my exhaust outlets with my hand increasing backpressure. I suppose I could re-install the db killers but frankly, the choppy idle doesn't bother me.

My airbox is unchopped and stock with a BMC filter.