Got heated grips finally

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, had my first cold-ish ride (38F) today and they worked great! On high you can really feel the heat, and on low it doesn't feel warm, but doesn't feel cold either. Just takes the bite off. I ended up mounting the switch vertically on the inner fairing on the left side, I'll post a picture later.

I did wire in a relay, but used slightly different wiring than recommended by Motogiro and TSi Fly:

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, had my first cold-ish ride (38F) today and they worked great! On high you can really feel the heat, and on low it doesn't feel warm, but doesn't feel cold either. Just takes the bite off. I ended up mounting the switch vertically on the inner fairing on the left side, I'll post a picture later.

I did wire in a relay, but used slightly different wiring than recommended by Motogiro and TSi Fly:

Do I see a Flux capacitor in that wiring . . . ? :thumbup:

where are you heading to when you hit 88mph :eek:

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
So what relay did you use? I got a fog lamp relay for a car. It had 5 prongs on it. I wasn't able to get the relay that I bought to work. I have to take it back to auto parts store.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So what relay did you use? I got a fog lamp relay for a car. It had 5 prongs on it. I wasn't able to get the relay that I bought to work. I have to take it back to auto parts store.

A 4-prong, 12V 30A relay from the auto parts store. I don't have the manufacturer info, but it was very generic. It wired up just as Motogiro and TSi Fly described. Simples!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Hahaha! Love that wiring diagram! LMAO! :rockon: Hahaha! A full wave moral rectifier!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a little idea I whipped up.
This will power your grips and the grips will shut off when you turn your key off or from your grip switch.
Tap the + 12 volts from your original low beam.

After having my heated grips last winter, they blew on me not too long ago (conincidently when my rectifier went to Bike Part Heaven). They were hardwired to positive/negative of the battery. I got new ones for free from the bike dealer, so I thought I'd wire them up properly using Motogiro's diagram.

I'm using the standard 5 prong EU version relay which uses the numbers 30,85,86,87,87. I understand most bits, but not sure on hooking up the actual grips.... The power supply of the Oxford Grips has the +/- wires. Positive obviosuly goes to the 87 prong which is for the "accessory" being installed. I already have an earth wire coming from prong 85. Does the Earth/- of the grips also just go to earth as well, or does that go to the second 87 "accessory" prong?

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Took a guess, and wired up the Ground wire to Ground and left the 5th prong (87) blank. All good, they actually work this time. On with the ignition and off with the ignition. I never did flatten my battery last winter by leaving them on, but at least I have piece of mind now.