Got A Ticket... yay

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every state is different. In NY you can only take a defensive driver course once every 3 years I think it is.

Also you said you were out of state check to see if your state records out of state tickets. NY doesn't record out of state unless you were in a construction zone or have a commercial drivers license. To give you an idea a few years ago I got a 71 in a 60 in Texas, no points recorded in NY and I had to plead guilty and pay $180 fine. I could have gone to fight it but it was #4 speed trap in the country at that time and I was in Louisiana working so wasn't gonna happen.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you dont get points you should be okay on insurance. The primary thing a lawyer could do is knock points off/reduce violation. If you go to see the prosecutor alone (atleast around here) they will knock points off for increased money. Ive seen my gf get tickets reduced to stupid levels with an attorney. She made a 4 point ticket into zero and it went from a moving violation to something else. So, maybe an attorney is a good option for you but they do cost money. In truth, you pay either way though.

I had a speeding ticket and a unsafe passing back in college in my home town. At that point I had a spotless driving record. I wrote a letter to the assistant DA which whom is a family friend and he lowered them to failure to obey a traffic device. It had 3 points attached and $1XX court fees. instead of 11 points. Some of my friends have been lucky enough to get it lowered to failure to wear a seat belt....

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy cow guys, thanks SO MUCH. I'm gonna take more time in the morning to read through all this.

So it sounds like no insurance hikes to worry about yet, so that rocks.

Elizabeth, that info is greatly appreciated! His rates are pretty good I guess? I'm just trying to decide on going to a firm like that or just TLC. Not sure. Bonus points, hmmm haha. How about, you rock and I'll give you an air high five? :ban:

So local firm or regular "fix a ticket" type places (like Traffic Law Center, etc)??

Thanks again guys/gals :thumbup:

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Illinois doesn't do points. Most of the time, if you wish it to not affect your insurance, you show up to court and they offer the driver course as a deal which is like 4 hours. I would guess its price to be >$150, but that may depend on the county.