Got a second two-wheeler; human-powered!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
w00t, for the first time since 1978 I again own a bicycle! There were a couple of used bikes in the classifieds lately, both were tall enough for me but were absolute junk; I made the fatal mistake of buying a couple bike magazines and then hitting a couple bike shops and touching the hardware!! :spank: :D

I bought a brand-new Specialized Rockhopper. It's a road bike/mountain bike cross, what they call a "hardtail" (suspension in the front but not the rear) and can be used for commuting and light trail work (I live just a few hours north of trailbike Mecca: Moab, UT but I'm sneaking up on 50 years old) It won't be quite as fast as a pure road bike, but the tires are more durable, and I'm looking to lose that last 15 pounds and my diet/current exercise routine won't get me there.

You know that old saying, "It's like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget"? That's a bunch of Horse Hockey!!! :Flip: Damn, I couldn't believe how unstable I was! Remember, my last bike was a single-speed, with brakes that activated by pedaling backwards; I could also come to a stop and just put my foot on the ground.
This thing, it feels like my butt is 7' up in the air, my hands are somewhere down by the front wheel (I swear I don't bend over this much to tie my shoes) and that thing they call a "seat" ain't much bigger than a cellphone :eek: When I stop I have to remember to get off the seat, as I can't reach the ground at all otherwise (and I'm 6'5"). Oh, and learning to shift, with four different levers, and having your front-wheel brakes under your left hand, are quite disorienting too.
I imagine I'll get used to it all, and even riding the few blocks to the local church parking lot (where I learned to ride my FZ two years ago), around the lot experimenting with shifting, and back this afternoon left me pretty winded and tired, this will be a good workout machine for me. Moab? Mebbe next year... :D

Last edited:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
funny you should mention this..i myself bought a new bike last weekend,similar type (hardtail) for the same reasons as you..and with the same results..i was straight onto ebay to get myself a gel seat,now im young enough to have ridden a bike with V brakes but its the weight that got me...my last bike weighed a tonne..this thing i can pick up with my little finger.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was amazed at how light these bikes are now, especially the carbon-fiber road bikes! :eek:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you, enjoy the fresh air. Don't bother with gel pads/seats, get a good pair of cycling shorts with good padding in them. If you get mountain or touring type shorts, they're baggy and don't look like the typical spandex shorts. I always pedal with padded shorts, but oddly enough I haven't tried them on the FZ6 yet:confused:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
congrats. Bicycling is one of my other hobbies. I've got more miles on my bicycle than I have on my FZ (although that will change this year). Padded shorts are good, but you also need to make sure that the saddle fits your anatomy. If the stock seat is not comfortable, change it out. Many bike shops will allow you keep exchanging them until you find one that fits.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I must have a thing for 2 wheels. I bought a road bike several years ago and fell in love with it. I bought my fizzer last year and fell in love with it. I bought another road bike this year and want to buy another motorbike this year as well.

For fitness you can't beat a bike. Easy on the knees, great for the heart, and more fun than a $10 hooker.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

Bicycles are as technical...if not more so than a motorbike...well I understand my FZ6 but struggle with my TREK Navigator.

So we need pics for this.

Steve

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're going to have a blast! Moab is so much fun. You'll get used to the seat, etc, etc, it's just different. Your butt needs to break in too. Like the FZ buy good gear to fully enjoy the sport; good shorts, jersey, gloves, helmet. Once you are ready get good off road shoes and clipless pedals too. See if you can hook up with friends who ride off road to help you learn the technique to off road riding. :thumbup:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really miss this part of Utah, Mountain Biking. There are so many places to ride just around or near Ogden. One easy trail to get you feet wet is at Antelope Island. Once you get your legs going you can tackle that trail at Pineview damn that goes up toward Snow Basin.