Got a New Lid Today

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Although I like my Fulmer helmet just fine, I've noticed that in the past few weeks that the padding inside of it is starting to compress a bit. Enough so that when I'm on the highway and I look over my shoulder, it shifts. Not a lot, but enough to be an inconvenience. Also, when riding in the cold, I get a lot of wind whipping up underneath which gets my cheeks and eyes quite icy-like. Don't get me wrong: it's a nice helmet, but I wanted something a bit better.

Enter the Scorpion Exo 1000. Awww, yeah! Now this is what I'm talking about. It's a nice tight fit, comfortable, hand has a whole lot of things about it that I really like.

Pros
  • Snug
  • Visor Lock
  • Built-In Sun Visor
  • Wind-Cutting Chin Flap
  • Much Less Noise
  • Lighter
  • Inflatable Cheek Pads
  • Quick-Release Visor

Cons
  • Vents aren't the best
  • Not much else at this time

On the ride home from the bike shop, I immediately noticed an improvement on the weight and visibility than with the Fulmer. I also noticed a substantial improvement over noise. Up until this helmet, I was considering getting some ear plugs for when I'm riding. Won't have to now. The chin flap made a tremendous difference in the wind entering the helmet from the chin area. Being that it was 40 degrees F, I did not experience any cold air on my cheeks or eyes (note: with the Fulmer, my eyes always watered terribly on cold rides because of the chilly wind hitting them). The built-in sun visor was great! It's not as dark as I'd like, but it definitely will do the trick. No more swapping out visors when I switch from day/night/low light riding. As for the inflatable cheek pads: don't know if or when I'll use them. Maybe once the padding settles a bit, I might find a use for them. Until then, I'll just leave that part alone.

The only thing that I personally can find wrong with the helmet is that the vents aren't the best in the world. They do allow for some air flow, but not as much as other helmets out there. I hope that this doesn't affect Summer riding too much.

As for price, I really didn't want to pay too much for a new helmet when I went looking this afternoon. In fact, I paid more for the Scorpion than I really wanted to. However, it has most of the features that I was looking for, and it was hard to pass up. The dealer where I purchased it was having a sale on helmets, and I picked up this Exo 1000 for $250. It was originally listed at $350. To make sure I was getting a decent deal, I looked it up on my iPhone. The lowest price that I could find doing a quick search was right at $350. So, I guess I didn't do too bad.

There you have it. And now for some pictures:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're enjoying it, that's a fantastic price! (I paid over $400). The inflatable cheekpad feature was a waste for me, my fat cheeks filled the helmet perfectly without that feature.
I also thought the sun visor was a little bit light at first, but it's completely comfortable to my eyes, even driving at high noon with snow all around (the brightest conditions I experience); don't know if its polarized or not, but it works! :thumbup:

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$250 ! Wow bro,You did great! I bought mine as a Christmas present from my parents and in-laws. I paid $350. I too upgraded from a Fulmer. I love this helmet. I also never use the inflatable cheek pads. The foam has conformed nicely to my face and the smell has gone away. I was lucky enough to find a race case to store it in and have also picked up some extra face shields. Enjoy it!:thumbup:

Although I like my Fulmer helmet just fine, I've noticed that in the past few weeks that the padding inside of it is starting to compress a bit. Enough so that when I'm on the highway and I look over my shoulder, it shifts. Not a lot, but enough to be an inconvenience. Also, when riding in the cold, I get a lot of wind whipping up underneath which gets my cheeks and eyes quite icy-like. Don't get me wrong: it's a nice helmet, but I wanted something a bit better.

Enter the Scorpion Exo 1000. Awww, yeah! Now this is what I'm talking about. It's a nice tight fit, comfortable, hand has a whole lot of things about it that I really like.

Pros
  • Snug
  • Visor Lock
  • Built-In Sun Visor
  • Wind-Cutting Chin Flap
  • Much Less Noise
  • Lighter
  • Inflatable Cheek Pads
  • Quick-Release Visor

Cons
  • Vents aren't the best
  • Not much else at this time

On the ride home from the bike shop, I immediately noticed an improvement on the weight and visibility than with the Fulmer. I also noticed a substantial improvement over noise. Up until this helmet, I was considering getting some ear plugs for when I'm riding. Won't have to now. The chin flap made a tremendous difference in the wind entering the helmet from the chin area. Being that it was 40 degrees F, I did not experience any cold air on my cheeks or eyes (note: with the Fulmer, my eyes always watered terribly on cold rides because of the chilly wind hitting them). The built-in sun visor was great! It's not as dark as I'd like, but it definitely will do the trick. No more swapping out visors when I switch from day/night/low light riding. As for the inflatable cheek pads: don't know if or when I'll use them. Maybe once the padding settles a bit, I might find a use for them. Until then, I'll just leave that part alone.

The only thing that I personally can find wrong with the helmet is that the vents aren't the best in the world. They do allow for some air flow, but not as much as other helmets out there. I hope that this doesn't affect Summer riding too much.

As for price, I really didn't want to pay too much for a new helmet when I went looking this afternoon. In fact, I paid more for the Scorpion than I really wanted to. However, it has most of the features that I was looking for, and it was hard to pass up. The dealer where I purchased it was having a sale on helmets, and I picked up this Exo 1000 for $250. It was originally listed at $350. To make sure I was getting a decent deal, I looked it up on my iPhone. The lowest price that I could find doing a quick search was right at $350. So, I guess I didn't do too bad.

There you have it. And now for some pictures:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I heard that the helmet is kind of heavy....

I have a Scorpion EXO-700 and that helmet is kind of noisy, compared to my Shoei-RF 1000. Maybe the newer Scorpion has improved in this area.

Let me know how the sunvisor performs without the using the full visor. Does your eyes start to water, does it keep a lot of the wind away from your eyes? Or is it meant to be used with the visor.

Each of these two helmets I own have their Pro's and Con's.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same helmet but no graphics, it's black. I really like it. I don't use the pump and I'm trying to figure a way to fill those cheek pads with beer...

It's a great helmet and it might be a little heavier than my HJC but I really don't notice it. That is a killer price. I snagged mine for like $318 which I thought was good but you got the deal!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same helmet but no graphics, it's black. I really like it. I don't use the pump and I'm trying to figure a way to fill those cheek pads with beer...

QUOTE]

LMAO....now that's what i call creative thinking....would love to see the look on the cops face, when they pulled you over and worked out what was going on!

:rockon:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv

I have a Scorpion EXO-700 and that helmet is kind of noisy, compared to my Shoei-RF 1000. Maybe the newer Scorpion has improved in this area.

Well, compared to my Fulmer, this helmet substantially cuts down on wind and external noises. From what I understand, the Shoei's cut down even more noise, but I'd say for my needs, the Scorpion does quite nicely. :D

Let me know how the sunvisor performs without the using the full visor. Does your eyes start to water, does it keep a lot of the wind away from your eyes? Or is it meant to be used with the visor.

I believe that the sunvisor and standard visor work best together. While on the way home this afternoon, I did ride with the regular visor up. It did a fair job of cutting down the wind in my eyes, but probably wouldn't do all that well in speeds above 35-40 MPH. I'll test it out more tomorrow.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv

It's a great helmet and it might be a little heavier than my HJC but I really don't notice it. That is a killer price. I snagged mine for like $318 which I thought was good but you got the deal!

LOL! That's a great idea! :D

Yeah, compared to the other Fiber/Kevlar helmets out there, the Exo 1000 is heavier. I'm guessing because of all the extra stuff (sunvisor, pump thing, etc.), but it is still a bit lighter than my Fumer, which is modular.

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site

Each of these two helmets I own have their Pro's and Con's.

I have the EXO-700 too, and it's noisy, but not as bad compared to my HJC modular. That one has a sun visor too, but I wind up not using it as much, I just put on my dark shield. For the 700, I love the dark smoke shield...its just as dark as my sunglasses, which is great riding home from the train station in the summer...i'm riding right into the sun it seems.