Going to Scotland September 2012

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
The bride and I are planning a two week trip to Scotland next year for our 30th (cripes!) anniversary. Planning to rent a car and drive from Edinburgh making a cicuit northeast along the coast to Inverness, then wander down to Glagow, and depart edinburgh again for the US. Want to stay at the small inns and B&B's, eat at the pubs and local restaurants, and talk to the people. Want to see the country and meet folks, rather than do the tour company routes and see the common sights, though some of those are a must.

Any suggestions for where to go, what to see, where to stay and where to eat? We've covered 47 of our 50 States this way, and figure it would be a good way to experience Scotland, too.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I was born in Glasgow, raised just north of Inverness and educated in Aberdeen. We used to spend 2 weeks every year just touring round Scotland towing a caravan so I have seen most of the beaten track and a lot of the un-beaten track.

If you are interested in heading north of Inverness head towards Tain (home of the Glenmorangie distillery) on the A9 and on the way there you will pass the "Million Dollar View".

At the South (or West end) of Loch Ness you will find Fort Augustus which is a very nice place and has a number of locks to allow boats to pass from Loch Ness up/down stream to Loch Oich. On the way from Inverness to Fort Augustus the Nessie Museum in Drumnadrochit is worth a look, but it's no Disney attraction. Also Urquhart Castle is worth a look.

As far as accomodation is concerned most towns in Scotland have a tourist agency where you can ask when you get there for B&B, but if you want to book in advance then the internet is your friend.

Take a charlift to the top of the mountain in the Cairngorms.
Take the Whisky trail from Aberdeen to Inverness.

What sort of things are you and your bride in to? Castles, Scenery, History....

Let me know and I'll give you a list of places to go and things to see.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
glen coe is probably a must

any chance of hiring a bike instead of a car? there's some awesome roads to be had around there :D

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys;

Interested in what makes Scotland unique, so yes to history and culture. Scenery looks like it's unavoidable, but scenic routes as alternates to main roads would be desirable. Would want to see some castles and abbeys, and any historically/culturally significant ruins. Pretty towns, quaint pubs, and the people themselves are of interest, too. Definitely going to Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, up the shore to Inverness, down to Oban, Loch Lomond, and Glasgow.

We met a travel agent at our annual Highland Games who specializes in travel to Scotland and produces a customized tour book for each client; had examples prepared for couples returning and leaving in the days before/after the Games. We'll get referrals and hope to go through him.

We're going lazily and probably will have purchases to cart around so four wheels are planned. I'm sure we"ll get there and see the same thing you all have seen; awesome roads for motorcycles.

We appreciate any advice and opinions offered.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Mapoftheroads.jpg

This is the map of our last tour of Scotland- all good roads and depending upon the time of year you go a car may be better- not worried about rain and also the midges cant get you in a cage- some days we had to stop and fill our tanks with visors down!

Having said that we loved Scotland and stayed in a little village called Killin at the little hotel at the far end of the village- great base

Find the green welly bike stop and take the road out to Oban- brilliant!

briang03

Reaction score
Visit site
You have to check out Oban, Plockton, Applecross, Skye and Ullapool.
You will get very jealous when you see all the bikes and the roads. That is if it stays dry but September is usually a nice month. If you have any questions about Scotland please ask.

Dougie

Reaction score
Visit site
If you do venture to Glasgow theres a well known bikers pub that im sure does accommodation called the Carbeth Inn,its on the outskirts of the city heading towards Drymen,Loch Lomond etc,which leads on to the a82 all the way up to Inverness,Glencoe,Fort William.......
If you considered hiring bikes the only place i know who hires is West Coast Harley(Glasgow).......word of warning though ,some of our so called "excellent biking roads",coincidently from Glasgow-Loch Lomond and beyond have more f****g pot holes,badly repaired tarmac and **** surfacing which have caught many bikers out...hope you enjoy your Anniversary tour btw:thumbup: