GF took the safety course last week, looking for a bike

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
She's totally green and looking for a 250. She was leaning towards a Rebel, but we saw a really clean Nighthawk at a dealer for a good price. I am trying to talk her into that, because it looks like it'd be a riot to fool around on (naturally I'm going to borrow whatever she buys from time to time, because the only thing more fun than a motorcycle is another motorcycle). Plus, I think it would be funny as hell to go two up on that thing.

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
dude, i've seen 'em go 5 up in indonesia on much smaller bikes. 250's are like goldwings to them. granted, they don't have to go 80 on the interstate... it's still a crazy site to see.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would never recommend a 250 Nighthawk to anyone. That's the majority of the fleet for the MSF across the nation, we have a lot of issues.

Fouled plugs from using the choke, difficulty finding neutral while the bike is running are some of the irritating problems. We have to remind the riders that it's not them, it's the bike.

Get a 250 Ninja.

S

Shamus McFeeley

My wife is trying to sell her old bike, an 81 CM400T. She really liked it, and my wife is very short. If you're interested, you're not that far from us and we could probably meet someplace past Knoxville which would be halfway.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Ninja 250.....fantastic learner/newbie bike....light, well built, bullet proof motor, low seat height...easy to ride...good resale value....oh and they look great!

good, fun bike to ride....feel like a toy bike...

:thumbup:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
especially the new body styled ones. there's a few on campus and when i walk by i imagine having enough money for toys i don't need... i'd get one in a heartbeat. but if i were learning... i go cheap as i could.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we called about the Nighthawk today and it already sold.
I would never recommend a 250 Nighthawk to anyone. That's the majority of the fleet for the MSF across the nation, we have a lot of issues.

Fouled plugs from using the choke, difficulty finding neutral while the bike is running are some of the irritating problems. We have to remind the riders that it's not them, it's the bike.

Get a 250 Ninja.
Hmm...Maybe it selling was a good thing. We both took the MSF course at the same location and they mostly have GZ250's with maybe a couple of rebels/nighthawks sprinkled in. It was my observation that the Suzuki's started much easier and it did seem that some of the students on the Honda's were having more trouble with them, but I didn't quite think it was fair to make a generalization about the model since the Hondas were outnumbered 10:1 easily, although the fact that there was no trouble out of any of the Suzukis was saying something.

The GF is totally fine with the getting a GZ since that's what she is now accustomed to, but the problem is that it's very hard to come across a used GZ around here. Everyone seems to buy Rebels. The GF also favors the styling of the Honda over the Suzuki, so that's pretty much the reason we were looking for them.

As far as the Ninja goes, she's not interested at all in a sport bike. She had neck surgery last year and although I know the Ninja seating position is more like a standard bike (I've owned one), just a few degrees difference in posture makes a big difference when you have a degenerative disk disorder and have the weight of a full-faced helmet involved (ask me about my bar risers).

She also likes the Vulcan 500. I know it's motor is based on the Ninja 500, but again, they're just harder to come by. I guess I'm just going to make her be patient.

I just spoke to a guy with an '08 silver Rebel (that's the color she favors) for a great deal, but turns out he still owes $1,000 and trying to straighten out that title mess with someone that lives 90 minutes away doesn't sound fun.

I like the V-Star 250, being a true v-twin and all, but she hates the appearance and feel of the handlebars. I've not seen a used one locally, either.

Last edited:

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife is trying to sell her old bike, an 81 CM400T. She really liked it, and my wife is very short. If you're interested, you're not that far from us and we could probably meet someplace past Knoxville which would be halfway.
I appreciate the offer, but she is picky and doesn't like the styling of of the older bikes. Women :rolleyes:.

Also, I drove 3 hours one way to get my Fazer, and the day I got back, there was a local one listed on Craigslist - same year, model, color, miles. Sheesh :p.

Thanks, though.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have a couple of Honda Rebels, no issues with them, yet!

Actually, a very nice ride. I enjoy doing the demo's on the Rebel for the students when I have a chance, as I try to mix it up a bit when selecting a bike to ride.

Another thing against the Nighthawks, they are drum brakes. Not nearly effective versus the Rebel, which has disc brakes.

S

Shamus McFeeley

I appreciate the offer, but she is picky and doesn't like the styling of of the older bikes. Women :rolleyes:.

Also, I drove 3 hours one way to get my Fazer, and the day I got back, there was a local one listed on Craigslist - same year, model, color, miles. Sheesh :p.

Thanks, though.

No problem, I know what you mean.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
We have a couple of Honda Rebels, no issues with them, yet!

Actually, a very nice ride. I enjoy doing the demo's on the Rebel for the students when I have a chance, as I try to mix it up a bit when selecting a bike to ride.

Another thing against the Nighthawks, they are drum brakes. Not nearly effective versus the Rebel, which has disc brakes.

Cool. I didn't realize there was more than a superficial difference between them. Drum brakes? I thought I read that, but thought surely that was only on the older models and sadly I didn't even notice.

lsherrer

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you gotten that started bike yet? I joined the forum because I bought the FZ6 last summer right out of my MSF course before researching how a nOOb shouldn't ride such a big bike. Oh well. Now I am also looking for a different bike to go back to step 1. Have you considered the Suzuki TU250X? I test rode one and am definitely considering it. It's more of a standard with upright seating and great for the average height female both in weight and size, at least for those trying to learn riding.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
The Honda Rebel is not a bad little starter bike. I have not owned one personally, but have heard good things about them.

What about a V-Star? 2010 Star Motorcycles V Star 250 Home, information brand new 2010 for under 4K

10ST_VS250_blk_S1_40e2f28d.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you gotten that started bike yet? I joined the forum because I bought the FZ6 last summer right out of my MSF course before researching how a nOOb shouldn't ride such a big bike. Oh well. Now I am also looking for a different bike to go back to step 1. Have you considered the Suzuki TU250X? I test rode one and am definitely considering it. It's more of a standard with upright seating and great for the average height female both in weight and size, at least for those trying to learn riding.

We have these bike too, and I like them. It's fuel injected so you don't have to mess around with the fuel valve like you do on the Nighthawks & Rebel. They have disc brakes so they are very sensitive.

But the looks are not as cool as the Rebel, I like the Rebel.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll throw a vote for the Rebel as a starter. I had an 86 that was my first real street bike and it was super awesome. Never any maintenance issues over 4 years of hard riding, decent power for what it was, easy to ride and comfortable.

That being said, the Ninja 250 looks like it'd be hella fun! :thumbup:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
when i got the fz6 the wife wanted to start riding too so i started her on it (as it was sitting there, as my ex was trying to learn, and never got the hang of it.) i rather liked the 250 rebel. (i dont fit so well as this is not a bike made for a big guy.. 6'3'') but i still think it rides rather well and is not alot of bike so the "it got away from me" moments are very few.. and it is a good looking little bike

and furthermore, i have not had any troubles with it, and it usually gets run fairly hard as i am used to riding 900's and get to the end of what it has to offer quickly, and it has been dropped better than half a dozen times and aside from a few scratches i have yet to need to replace any parts from this. (and it ussually happens on concrete or pavement..)

DSC09394.jpg

DSC09392.jpg

DSC08416.jpg

DSC08417.jpg

DSC08407.jpg

and more often than not i ride on the back seat..(with gear, this pic was for fun

DSC09396.jpg

the ''saddle bags'' are sissy bar bags that my wife tied to the sides of the bike so she could have a little storage, and i think they fit and look at home on there.

RexNEffect

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on an '08 Buell Blast and owned it for the last 2 years. Really great to start out on, and looks good too. Basically maintenance free except for oil changes. You sit straight up, it's extremely light, and is fun to ride. There are a ton of used ones for sale, and with Buell being shutdown, the prices have dropped some (unfortunately for me when I was trying to sell mine and ended up trading it in for alot less then I hoped for). If they made a bigger version with the same styling, I would still have one.

Also had alot of good comments from lady friends that liked the looks of it alot.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you gotten that started bike yet? ...
Sorry not to have responded. Haven't logged on here except to just glance at the featured threads in a couple of weeks.

We ended up finding a very nice '08 Rebel, silver, just like she wanted with only 2k miles nearby for a very good price. As you can imagine, it's like new. We had to wait a little bit for the owner to get the title in the mail (he had just paid it off) which happened to arrive while he was on vacation, so that took a little longer still, but finally we have it.

The previous owner brought it by just yesterday so we have ridden next door to let her ride and practice in the parking lot the past couple of nights (although she has passed her MSF course and got her license, she is still cautious about taking to the road). She really likes it so far, but is still feeling out motorcycling as a whole.
when i got the fz6 the wife wanted to start riding too so i started her on it (as it was sitting there, as my ex was trying to learn, and never got the hang of it.) i rather liked the 250 rebel. (i dont fit so well as this is not a bike made for a big guy.. 6'3'') but i still think it rides rather well and is not alot of bike so the "it got away from me" moments are very few.. and it is a good looking little bike...
Wow. Yeah, I'm only 5'10" (0.00883838384 furlongs, 1.77800 meters) and it's a bit cramped for me. I can see how it would be perfect for shorter, female riders.

The GF is a bit shorter than I and we just got through taking it for a short ride around town 2 up, and man it's fun! I'm used to all that extra weight being up high on the Fazer, but on that thing, I can barely tell she's back there. Plus, the previous owner put a sissy bar on the back, so it's probably a touch more comfortable than the Fazer for her, although she complained that she can't see anything, not being as elevated on the Rebel.

So, this thing is as much my toy as hers so far.
34936_1350160678907_1378050710_30846090_5000326_n.jpg