Generation fitment

Noah.Merjil

Reaction score
Visit site
So i bought this 2005 yamaha fz6 project and i was wondering if i could take parts off this thrashed 2009 yamaha fz6 and put it on the 05 i don’t know the difference between the generations

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Many of the S1 parts are interchangeable to the S2, and vice versa. There are color differences (S1 having an bare aluminum look and the S2 blacked out). Some annoying things don’t interchange, like the seat. Can you give us an idea of what you would like to swap?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Faring's are different, sub frame different, different instrument panel, different front brakes, slightly different swingarm, radiator overflow tank is in a different location, no helmet lock(S1).

Might have missed something but a fair amount of parts do swap...

You can always look up parts for each bike and compare part #'s for smaller things (or larger). Also helps figuring out assembly, etc: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle

Noah.Merjil

Reaction score
Visit site
in
Welcome to the forum. Many of the S1 parts are interchangeable to the S2, and vice versa. There are color differences (S1 having an bare aluminum look and the S2 blacked out). Some annoying things don’t interchange, like the seat. Can you give us an idea of what you would like to swap?
Instrument panel, mirrors everything to do with the headlights, and tail lights

Noah.Merjil

Reaction score
Visit site
Faring's are different, sub frame different, different instrument panel, different front brakes, slightly different swingarm, radiator overflow tank is in a different location, no helmet lock(S1).

Might have missed something but a fair amount of parts do swap...

You can always look up parts for each bike and compare part #'s for smaller things (or larger). Also helps figuring out assembly, etc: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle
so do i have the s1 ? sorry i’m new to this bike

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The mirrors, headlights and tail lights are different. You can make the S2 instrument cluster work on the S1...but it’s not plug and play. Do a search and you’ll see the wires that need to be de-pinned and re-pinned.

If you have an S2 to part out, you may be able to swap for the parts you need, or at least sell the S2 parts to pay for the S1 parts you need. The swing arms are different, but the S2 swing arm does fit the S1. There’s no performance benefit, but it does look a lot better.

Post a few photos of the both bikes so we can see what you’re dealing with.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to correct myself. If you have an S2 instrument cluster, WITH an S2 forward harness, the swap of the S2 instrument cluster to an S1 IS plug-n-play.