Gel type grips!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to find some gel-type grips for my bike.
Does anyone know a particular brand that would fit nicely?

You don't have to redirect me to a specific shop - that would be easy to google!

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
dont bother with those friend ! try the rizoma i fiited to mine and cant be happier!

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site

Looks very cool... but I'd like to soften up the grups because my hand starts to sleep due to buzzing.
Either I am picky or it might be a minor problem with engine. I haven't sortet it out yet, but I am going on a longer 4 day trip soon (including 2 days on a racetrack), so I might aswell benefit from the 5% buzz decrease from gel grips.

Buzzing is all explained in another thread...

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Progrip dual density (there are several models to choose from) are pretty good. Definitely better than stock. Grip puppies is another very popular option.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the silicone-based "Harris" grips.

Bought them for 20e

They're awesome, have them on for more than 2 years, very soft compound and kind of sticky..

Cons: They where Transparent at first, with the fz6 logo inside of them, but they now have an idea of yellow - brown color ... nothing major. Still love them!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Progrip dual density (there are several models to choose from) are pretty good. Definitely better than stock. Grip puppies is another very popular option.
Yup. Double or even the triple density ones. Some look a bit to dirt-bikey to me, but there are loads of nice ones.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the SLR are the ones I use, I have had them on my Buell XB12 as well as the FZ6.

Can only locate US shops via google... that would be 13 USD for the product and a total of 30 USD including shipment :(

I'll search a bit for the Progrips then...

The puppy solution sounds and looks cheap (which isn't all bad), but sometimes I do ride in the rain so I'd better stick with rubber/silicone compound.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can only locate US shops via google... that would be 13 USD for the product and a total of 30 USD including shipment :(

I'll search a bit for the Progrips then...

The puppy solution sounds and looks cheap (which isn't all bad), but sometimes I do ride in the rain so I'd better stick with rubber/silicone compound.

Under $15 shipped: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/SPIDER-GRIPS-GRIP-SLR-TI-GRY/dp/B001KOB7VG/ref=sr_1_26?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1306954236&sr=1-26]Amazon.com: SPIDER GRIPS GRIP SLR RD BLK W/TI-GRY SL/R-T/B: Automotive[/ame]

D'oh.. my bad.. you're in Denmark :(

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also try heavier bar ends to eliminate some buzzing. I have 1.3" bar-backs that really increased the vibrations in my handle bars. I have a set of HVMP bar ends on now, and they virtually eliminate all buzzing... and I still have the stock grips! Just something to think about.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also try heavier bar ends to eliminate some buzzing. I have 1.3" bar-backs that really increased the vibrations in my handle bars. I have a set of HVMP bar ends on now, and they virtually eliminate all buzzing... and I still have the stock grips! Just something to think about.

VERY interesting...
They sure ain't cheap but I get the feeling this would be a slighty better buzz killer than just grips!

Looking at their webpage now... did you install the heavy or the extra heavy bar ends?
The heavy (non extra) is only 11,6 ounces (340g)... That can't be much more than the standard bar ends?... So I guess the extra heavy is optimal choice?
And then I'll try to pour out all the sand I stuffed into my handlebar hehe.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at their webpage now... did you install the heavy or the extra heavy bar ends?
The heavy (non extra) is only 11,6 ounces (340g)... That can't be much more than the standard bar ends?... So I guess the extra heavy is optimal choice?
And then I'll try to pour out all the sand I stuffed into my handlebar hehe.

They didn't do a very good job on their site as far as listings go. I'm pretty sure they only make one set of bar ends for FZ6/FZ1 and they are very heavy.. ~17 ounces.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered the HVMP bar ends for FZ6... and yes there was only 1 size (didn't ask how heavy though). Looking very much forward to installing and testing.

It was 72 USD for the product itself and only 15 USD for overseas shipment to Denmark... to me this is a very cheap solution to a badass problem (hopefully)!

I'll write a short review in same thread after testing...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered the HVMP bar ends for FZ6... and yes there was only 1 size (didn't ask how heavy though). Looking very much forward to installing and testing.

It was 72 USD for the product itself and only 15 USD for overseas shipment to Denmark... to me this is a very cheap solution to a badass problem (hopefully)!

I'll write a short review in same thread after testing...

Hope it works out! One other thing I'd like to mention.. check the bolts holding the top clamp (the clamp that holds the bar in place). 2 front bolts should be torqued down first so that the clamp actually makes contact with the upper crown. Then the 2 rear bolts should be tightened in an alternating pattern. Torque all to 17 foot pounds.
I may be crazy, but I felt more vibration when my bolts were equally tightened without the clamp touching the crown in the front.