Gear indicators, Any advice?

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Andy, I think a gear indicator is a handy accessory to have on a motorcycle.
Wish my FZ6 had it.
I personally don`t know of anyone who has used this type, or any other after market indicator on an FZ6.
If you decide to give one a try, let us know how it works out.

ride safe ice

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure why people buy these things personally. And why don't people put them in their standard shift cars then? :confused:

Ideally, while we are riding we are keeping the engine in the power band and we are upshifting through the gears as we increase our speed and downshifting through the gears as our speed decreases. Since we are upshifting and downshifting properly and we are't skipping any gears on the way to a stop, it doesn't serve much purpose.

I don't mean to offend anyone who has a gear indicator - it is another mod for those who love to customize their bikes. :thumbup:

I just wonder why we don't see mods like self-cancelling turn signals... ;) I guess that wouldn't be cool! :BLAA:

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't we see this in shift cars (cars with manual transmissions)? LOL, because you can tell what gear your car is in based on the location of the shifter... you must drive an automatic :confused:

As for the OP... I'd think there would be better uses of your money, if not you should send me a couple of bucks. :D

For me I always wonder if I'm in 5th or 6th gear... that is until I realzied that in 6th at 70 I'm at 6K RPM. I'd think the more you ride the bike the more you will get used to knowing what gear you're in (and you'll likely memorize some specific RPM points like I have).

Good luck!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are mods for self canceling turn signals. I have the ACCUMEN Gear Indicator and it works great. It plugs into my speedo healer and to the crank sensor. It will work without the speedo healer. I got the blue one for my blue FZ6. :rockon:

hockeyredneck14

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a "Heal tech GI pro" gear light indicator installed on my 06 fz6 and it was very easy to install and works great!!! i have had it on for a full season now and no problems, i love it, and with my rpm gauge being digital it is actually much easier to see the gear light indicator then it is trying to see where my rpm's are during the day.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the GI pro on my fz6 as well. what i like about it is that installation doesnt require splicing of wires on the bike.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure why people buy these things personally. And why don't people put them in their standard shift cars then? :confused:

Ideally, while we are riding we are keeping the engine in the power band and we are upshifting through the gears as we increase our speed and downshifting through the gears as our speed decreases. Since we are upshifting and downshifting properly and we are't skipping any gears on the way to a stop, it doesn't serve much purpose.

I don't mean to offend anyone who has a gear indicator - it is another mod for those who love to customize their bikes. :thumbup:

I just wonder why we don't see mods like self-cancelling turn signals... ;) I guess that wouldn't be cool! :BLAA:
i have a gear indicator so i can monitor what gear am i at when i am on track, esp just before turns, so i can learn and improve. i know, some riders can feel what gear they are at but i cant. 'insensitive' rider here. :BLAA:

there are several times on the road when i am on 6th gear i still try to kick up. =.=

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a GI PRO too. Mounted very discreetly.

I used to have a habit of always trying to change into 7th. Now, with my gearing changes, I had a habit of leaving her in 5th on the open roads, chewing up my fuel.

It helps me.

I'm obviously not at ONE with my baby yet ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't we see this in shift cars (cars with manual transmissions)? LOL, because you can tell what gear your car is in based on the location of the shifter... you must drive an automatic :confused:
I don't look at my shifter when I drive a standard car, but if one was to look down you'd be hard pressed to distinguish between third and fifth anyway. But that doesn't matter; based on some of the posts I can better appreciate why some people like gear indicators.