Gasahol (E10 E15) can my baby drink it?

BKKFZ6

Regular Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
Here I sit like an expectant father. My FZ6 on order with the local dealer and I am researching how to care for my new family member.

So here's my question...
Can I use Gasahol (it's called here, E10 and E15 in Europe) in my new 2008 FZ6? The Salesperson said "yes" but sometimes sales people will say anything to close the deal! I can find no references on internet. I figure someone here might know if Ethanol/Petrol mixes will choke my baby or not?

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I assume e10 is 10% ethanol. If I am correct yes it can. I dont know about e15 if that is 15% ethanol. We dont have that here in the states at least in my part of the country. But just about everything is 10% ethanol around here. We do have some E85 but I know my bike is not supposed to run off of it. Hope this helps you.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
You''ll find in the owner's manual that up to 10% is "okay" by Yamaha. Personally, I stay away from the stuff. It has less energy than staight gasoline and is supposedly not so good on gaskets, rubber lines, etc. The whole ethanol issue is questionable, at least here in US. Largely pushed through by politicians for corn farmers and mid-Western ethanol interests. Doesn't make a lot of sense to turn food into gasoline.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
You''ll find in the owner's manual that up to 10% is \"okay\" by Yamaha. Personally, I stay away from the stuff. It has less energy than staight gasoline and is supposedly not so good on gaskets, rubber lines, etc. The whole ethanol issue is questionable, at least here in US. Largely pushed through by politicians for corn farmers and mid-Western ethanol interests. Doesn't make a lot of sense to turn food into gasoline.

It's not a completely BAD thing either, as it reduces the demand for oil, which helps keep the price down.

Yeah, the fuel mileage drops a bit, but with E10, it's not entirely noticeable. E85 on the other hand, I question its validity at times.

BKKFZ6

Regular Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know. There are tax breaks here on E10, so even if the mileage is lower the cost per mile may be cheaper. If it's not harmful it may be the way to go when range is not an issue.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not a completely BAD thing either, as it reduces the demand for oil, which helps keep the price down.

Yeah, the fuel mileage drops a bit, but with E10, it's not entirely noticeable. E85 on the other hand, I question its validity at times.

I'm an economic news junkie and I was listening to Bloomberg News on XM and they had an environmental dude on who stated that the whole E85 is one of the largest government boondoggles to date. The net-net of the fuel required to produce a gallon of E85 is about zero. You also get increased polution from agro run off, and higher food pricess. Also the price for oil has dropped while consumption hasn't dropped a lot yet. Heard today than the today's oil price is still about 20% too high. That was from an analyst with 25 years in the industry. What we saw this year was the tech boom all over again. Stay tuned.

On thread...the E10 really helps reduce polution in certain areas of the country, Denver, etc. Helps add oxygen to the burn of the fuel.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
This bike runs fine on E10. I would not use E15. Personally if you have access to 100% gasoline I would use that in your bike.

Here is why: because E10 will break down rapidly and absorbs water, so don't let it sit for long periods without adding fuel stabilizer. Do not use alcohol-based "dry-gas" as this will only add to the problem. And keep the tank full to minimize air vapor in the tank (which contains water vapor, which the ethanol will "find"). Ethanol is a solvent and is corrosive in higher percentages so don't go above 10%.

We have no choice here in my state but to use it, it has given my FZR600 fits..had to re-jet. It will be less of an issue with the FI on the FZ6 esp. if your model has the O2 sensor to trim it out.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
E10 is fine to run in the FZ6. Avoid any concentration of Ethanol higher than 10% though. The fuel system and ECU are not designed to run on fuels such as E-85 if it's in your area.

Ethanol contains less BTU's per gallon which serves to lower overall horsepower output and fuel mileage when compared to 100% gasoline. While Ethanol does lower our dependence on foreign oil, it's use and production is stealing food (corn) from our mouths. It's been shown that it takes roughly 1 gallon of petroleum to produce 1.2 gallons of Ethanol when corn is used as the sugar fermentation source.

In contrast, Brazil uses sugar cane which is capable of producing nearly 10 gallons of Ethanol per 1 gallon of petroleum used due to the higher sugar content of the sugar cane. The use of American corn to produce Ethanol has significantly increased the price of feed corn for livestock which has caused the price of milk, cereal, meat and eggs to increase several times.

Sorry for the history of ethanol... sometimes I get a little carried away:spank:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm an economic news junkie and I was listening to Bloomberg News on XM and they had an environmental dude on who stated that the whole E85 is one of the largest government boondoggles to date. The net-net of the fuel required to produce a gallon of E85 is about zero. You also get increased polution from agro run off, and higher food pricess. Also the price for oil has dropped while consumption hasn't dropped a lot yet. Heard today than the today's oil price is still about 20% too high. That was from an analyst with 25 years in the industry. What we saw this year was the tech boom all over again. Stay tuned.

On thread...the E10 really helps reduce polution in certain areas of the country, Denver, etc. Helps add oxygen to the burn of the fuel.

That's definitely very true about food prices. In the end, you may pay less at the pump, but the price is more than made up for in other areas. Corn demand is up, so the price of corn for feed will go up. The higher price for feed pushes the price of meet up, giving us a higher cost at the grocery store, in the end potentially costing us MORE.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Basically, corn-based ethanol is just antoher stupid, greedy, politician-inspired mandate. It has practically nothing to do with oil independence. Another example of our politicians "hard at work."

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Basically, corn-based ethanol is just antoher stupid, greedy, politician-inspired mandate. It has practically nothing to do with oil independence. Another example of our politicians \\\"hard at work.\\\"

I have to disagree with everyone saying the 10% ethanol in gasoline is based on a government boondoggle and corn interest states. It's being added because MTBE has been banned as an additive in several states, because it poses a potential health risk and is extremely difficult to clean up.

MTBE was added to gasoline to reduce pollution from engine emissions, allowing states to meet emissions/pollution requirements. MTBE was pushed through the government by big oil lobbyists as the additive of choice, beating out ethanol which at the time wasn't in high demand (and therefore not as profitable).

Ironically, MTBE itself became a pollutant. It was leaking out of gas station storage tanks contaminating ground water and soil. It's not necessarily carcinogenic in low levels, but the risk is there in higher concentrations.

It is true that ethanol doesn't have as much power as other additives, but I'd rather lose a bit or horsepower than ingest MTBE. :eek:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Don't misunderstand my statement, E85 is a boondoggle, E10 is fine. I grew up in CO and we had E10, MTBE, to help with the "Brown Cloud". Denver has terrible air pollution BTW, LA looks clean at times in comparison. E10 helps in that situation, however E85 is a government DB, IMHO. It does not help reduce the need for fossil fuel because FFs are used to grow, harvest, transport and process the grain into alcohol. Now if you are a corn belt farmer it is a great deal as the program increases demand for your product.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Interactive3: 10% ethanol is not even required by California Air Resouces Board (CARB). MTBE used to be required and was added as an oxygenate. But, as has already been pointed out, 100's of groundwater wells were contaminated and it took CARB several years to eat some pride and discontinue its use. CA is known to have the toughest air standards in the world (probably even more than CO) and ethanol is not even required in this state so I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with air quality. Sure, it, as MTBE, burns a little cleaner but you have to use more of it compared to straight gasoline so than largely negates the clean air benefit. It certainly doesn't do anything to reduce oil dependency because it, as Hellgate has already remarked, requires more oil to produce a gallon of corn ethanol blended gasoline than a gallon of ethanol blended gasoline itself. It IS a boondoggle.

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I use straight gasoline with 93 octane.

I specifically go out of the way and avoid gas stations with 10% (or more) ethanol. I do the same with my car. I find it burns cleaner, lasts me longer, and gets me further.

I would rather put a more expensive yet higher quality gasoline in my car/bike than save on the spot a few pennies and put a lesser quality fuel into the tank.

I have a question though, there's places around where I live that sell 108 octane fuel. Would that improve performance and power or would it do more damage than good?

can i use 108 octane in my FZ6?

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
When you say you avoid the gas stations with 10% ethanol, are you shure they dont have ethanol in their fuel. Gas stations in a certain area all usually get their fuel from the same place. 99% of the time it is the same fuel in the different gas stations tanks. I dont know about other states but in illinois it is required that if they have ethanol in the fuel they have to have it posted on the pump. I try to avoid gas stations that have one hose for 3 different octane fuels. I also Use 93 or 92 octane only, the reason behind that is when you add ethanol the gasoline you actually lower the octane level on the fuel.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ethanol actually raises the octane, but it contains less BTUs per gallon.

Wolfram

Reaction score
Visit site
According to Yamaha (Australia):-

ETHANOL BLENDED FUELS

Q. Are Yamaha Motorcycles, ATV's and SSV's designed to operate on Ethanol Blended Fuels.

No, All current and previous models are NOT designed for Ethanol Blended Fuels at any percentage. (ie. E5, 5% and E10, 10%).

If Ethanol Blended Fuels are used you may experience driveability and running problems, fuel component deterioration and damage due to moisture.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/ssl/index.htm?motor_faq.asp

I've never run ethanol blend on my FZ6, but switch between RON95 & RON98. Power wise, i don't notice any different, but the RON98 seen to last longer.

17lts RON95 = approx 280-300kms
17lts RON98 = approx 300-320kms

Last edited: