Gas / Fuel Tank removal

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Since it's so often discussed on this forum, I figured I would post a how to on removing/lifting the tank without removing the fairings.
All pictures are from a 2006 model.

Ok; here we go:

First of all, here's what you will need to complete the process:

1 Allen key (5mm), 1 Flange key(?) 10mm, a pair of clamps:
(I also use an extension piece but that is not needed)
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2559-step-0-tools-needed.jpg

picture.php

First we have to make sure we don't spill any fuel, so we have to block 2 overflow fuel hoses.
Both hoses are found under the bike, right side, where the center stand is mounted.
The can be identified by the white stripe on them, and the facts that they are cut of in an angle:

fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2560-step-1-identify-fuel-overflow-hoses.jpg
picture.php

To block them off, we are going to use the clamps:

First bend the hose:
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2561-step-2-clamping-up-hose.jpg

picture.php

Then apply clamp:
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2562-step-4-clamping.jpg

picture.php

Repeat on both hoses:

picture.php

fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2563-step-5-both-hoses-clamped.jpg

Edit: FI fix 600riders.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Having both hoses securely clamped up (If you have any doubt, place a plastic bucket under them),
we can now remove the bolts holding the tank:

First the front ones:

picture.php

Make sure you cover the tank with a piece of cloth before unscrewing the bolts! (Protect if from scratches):

picture.php

Proceed to remove both front bolts in same manner. Once removed you should have two bolts with spacers:

picture.php

Now, for the rear bolt. To access it you have to remove the seat first:

picture.php

Again, cover the tank with cloth before using tools:

picture.php

You should by now have removed these 3 bolts:

picture.php

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
By now you can lift up the rear of the tank, while sliding it backwards.
Don't lift to high, just enough to get it over the bracket where the rear bolt was mounted:

fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2570-step-12-lifting-rear-tank.jpg
picture.php

Allowing the tank to rest on top of the rear bolt bracket, make sure is been moved enough backwards for the front of the tank to clear the fairing:
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2571-step-13-tank-lifted-slide-backwards.jpg

picture.php

Now lift the front of the tank so its over the fairing, and slide the tank forward again, until the rear bracket is in the correct position again.
Then rest the front of the tank on the fairing (Use some cloth between the fairing and the tank):
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2572-step-14-front-tank-lifted-over-fairing.jpg

picture.php

Now reinsert the rear bolt (no need to tighten it, just "finger-screw" it in:

picture.php

fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2573-step-15-reinsert-rear-bolt.jpg

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
You can now freely lift up the front of the tank, using the rear bolt as a hinge.
Use any object to hold the tank in upright position(I found that a wine bottle is perfect :)):
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2574-step-16-tank-lifted-object-wine-bottle.jpg

picture.php

Top view:
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2575-step-17-tank-lifted-object-top-view.jpg

picture.php

Reverse process to put the tank back in place.
Pay attention when you put the tank back down that you don squeeze any of the hoses under the tank.

When removing the clamps in the end, place a plastic bucket under them to catch any residue the might have build up in the hoses:
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2576-step-18-catching-any-fuel-residue-de-clamped-hoses.jpg

picture.php

The whole process takes about 15 minutes once you get a hold of it.
I know it can seem like many steps, but just take your time, and be sure not to forget any, and anybody can do this.

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to skip the step of removing the rear bolt, you can simply remove the inside fairing liners by removing the two bolts that are visible on the outside of the fairing. Put your sheet/paper/soft object to protect your tank in there and slide the liner out like a puzzle piece. After this there is no interference with the fairing.

Just another way of building a bridge.

Ride safe, ride often.

Cheers,

Mike

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
If you want to skip the step of removing the rear bolt, you can simply remove the inside fairing liners by removing the two bolts that are visible on the outside of the fairing. Put your sheet/paper/soft object to protect your tank in there and slide the liner out like a puzzle piece. After this there is no interference with the fairing.

Just another way of building a bridge.

Ride safe, ride often.

Cheers,

Mike

:)

Many of the members seems to struggle with the removal of the inner fairings, -
that's why I made this write-up :)

But thanks :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:)

Many of the members seems to struggle with the removal of the inner fairings, -
that's why I made this write-up :)

But thanks :thumbup:
Brilliant mate,

(Reputation must be spread around before you can give it to FZ6Sa)

I tried it after you mentioned it a while a while back. It works for me.

Nelly

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Brilliant mate,

(Reputation must be spread around before you can give it to FZ6Sa)

I tried it after you mentioned it a while a while back. It works for me.

Nelly

yeah, - I know I've mentioned quite a few times :), - I just figured that the pic's could help especially new riders/modders.

And thanks for the almost rep :thumbup:

djsegura

Reaction score
Visit site
By now you can lift up the rear of the tank, while sliding it backwards.
Don't lift to high, just enough to get it over the bracket where the rear bolt was mounted:

fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2570-step-12-lifting-rear-tank.jpg

Allowing the tank to rest on top of the rear bolt bracket, make sure is been moved enough backwards for the front of the tank to clear the fairing:
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2571-step-13-tank-lifted-slide-backwards.jpg

Now lift the front of the tank so its over the fairing, and slide the tank forward again, until the rear bracket is in the correct position again.
Then rest the front of the tank on the fairing (Use some cloth between the fairing and the tank):
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2572-step-14-front-tank-lifted-over-fairing.jpg

Now reinsert the rear bolt (no need to tighten it, just "finger-screw" it in:
fz6sa-albums-howto-get-under-fuel-gas-tank-picture2573-step-15-reinsert-rear-bolt.jpg

Good tip on putting the pivot bolt back in to work, I just removed my tank to get it repainted, so will keep this in mind when doing future work under there.

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I've been trying to find a better way of getting the tank up, since this spring the Fizz is getting a battery replacement and battery tender leads added.

P

Perfj

Nice and informative information.
Normally I would remove the battery for the winter. Always did so with my SV650.
I got my FZ6 August last year, but I actually gave up removing the battery, and bought a triggle charger in stead. Now I know how to solve the problem. Thanks.
:cheer: