Garage parking pass dilemma...

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My primary use for my bike is commuting. I park my bike in a garage at the basement of my office building. In order to get in and out, I need to use a HID card. It basically only works when card is swiped very close to the reader. I generally carry my garage card in my glasses' case which is on my handle bar and have to pull it out of there when I arrive at the gate and put it back in before I can move again.

So what is the problem?

I come in and go basically when everybody else arrives and leaves so I end up holding up the line majority of the time while I am getting the card and putting it away, and when I am using my winter gloves, this whole procedure becomes even more challenging. So, I am looking for a solution where I can speed up this entry/exit procedure. Way back when , during the stone ages, I had a riding jacket that had a zippered pocket on its front part of the arm where you could put small items like your license, money, etc. But, I cannot seem to find such jacket anymore. Something like that would have worked great because that would allow me to put the card in this pocket and basically wave my arm over the reader and off I would be able to go without having to pull it out.

I was thinking about getting one of those ski-pass things that you can attach to your arm, but I think that would look somewhat strange, so I am looking for suggestions from anybody out there that may have this problem and come up with some creative idea.

Attaching the card to the bike is not really an option because I cannot get any part of the bike close enough to the reader.

Any ideas??? :confused:

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a sensor that is attached inside my windshield in the car above rear view mirror with some velcro. when i commute with my bike i put it on the top of tank bag and it works well. with HID cards and if you do have a slot in it i'd suggest you use retractable string that you can attach to your bike key. Even if it does not have a slot in it, you can get the sleeve for it. when you are at the ramp just pull it towards the sensor and once it opens you let go (it will retract) and off you fly ;-)

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I do something a little similar. I go onto the military base often and i have to be able to show my ID quickly due to the fact that there is always a long line of people trying to get in.

I have a ICON squad backpack. on the back pack there is two card holders that are attached via velcro.

one idea for you that would make everything easy would be to get a clear card holder (even one for a baseball card or such). then glue one side of the holder to a patch of velcro and have the other sewn to your jacket/sleeve/magnetic tank bag. just rip it off, swipe and then pat the velcro back together.

Just an idea :thumbup:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you not make a pocket inside the arm of your jacket between the liner and outer, if the liner is removable you could just velcro the sucker to the inside of the arm then put the liner back.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Many 3/4 jackets have the pocket on the left arm. My tourmaster does. Aerostitch does as well. I don't know about your parking garage, but most i've been in have enough room by the gate to just ride around it...

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Many 3/4 jackets have the pocket on the left arm. My tourmaster does. Aerostitch does as well. I don't know about your parking garage, but most i've been in have enough room by the gate to just ride around it...

I am not crazy about 3/4 jackets, so I have not looked at them, and that is probably why I have not seen them. But, I guess that is an idea. I'll have to check them out.

Although, I could probably drive around the gate, that would cause all kinds of hassles for me including people pointing guns at me for doing so. :)

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't commute on my FZ6, but I do ride my bicycle to work and had the same problem with my access card, especially in winter. I got a little plastic coil bracelet that I can attach the card to, and just wear it around my wrist under my coat. The scanner can read the card through my coat, and it works great!

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't commute on my FZ6, but I do ride my bicycle to work and had the same problem with my access card, especially in winter. I got a little plastic coil bracelet that I can attach the card to, and just wear it around my wrist under my coat. The scanner can read the card through my coat, and it works great!

Good idea, Sue! They sell them at Wal-mart in the automotive/key chain section. They are inexpensive, too, and no sewing required!