FZ6 vs. Vstrom

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my heart set on a Vstrom 650, but I came across an FZ6 available. Just wondering who has ridden both & might tell me your experiences. I'll be on pavement all the time, I just liked the Vstrom because it is light, pretty nimble, and just fun. I'll need a touring windshield because I like riding quietly and smoothly. Almost all my trips will be to the mountains & consist of 800-1000 miles minimum. How does the riding posture compare? Are the FZs buzzy at cruising speeds? I didn't really know where to post this so I thought I would start here... Thanks for any replies!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum, i've ridden both, a wee strom alot (friend has one) and test rode a fazer...if it's straightline speed your going for the FZ will blow the wee out of the water, I like to describe the V-strom as a workhorse, it will get you where your going, comfortably, and reliably but theres most certainly faster bikes out there. Now if your looking for maneuverability, the V-strom (for me anyways) was much easier to get used to... it's got a little less aggressive stance than the FZ... Lot's of people on the Vstrom forums use them as long distance tourers, b/c they are very comfortable.

That being said, my Versys is every bit as comfortable as my friends wee, we both agree it's better in the twistys than the Wee...The Wee has a smoother engine than my Versys but i'm used to dirtbikes so i laugh at "smoothness" :D

However in order to get a Versys offroad capable it requires quite a bit in modifcation (radiator guard, fender extender, anything other than the crappy stock tire) whereas the V-strom pretty much comes ready to go offroading out of the crate.

If your looking to just ride on the road, i'd encourage you to look at the Versys, i've ridden alot of bikes, Supersports liter bikes, sport tourers, dual sports, the lot, and i've never been on a bike (dirtbikes included) that produced the same fun factor as my little Versys (mind you the runners up would be a FZ6 *only ridden once* and the wee strom)

Ok done plugging my bike :spank:

I would go and test ride them, it's all preference really, i may love my Versys but somebody else could get on it and absolutely hate it. My best advice would be don't buy anything until you ride it. FZ6's certainly have private sellers that will let you test ride them, V-stroms have been around a while as well, they just came out with a 2012 model that looks much less like "someone hit the bike with an ugly stick", as my friend with the wee strom says.

*The FZ i rode was an 08, and i didn't notice any buzz, but your in the right place for that question to be rightly answered*

Good luck on your search! Nothing better than riding on 2 wheels!

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother owned a vstrom while I owned an fz6n :D I drove his around quite a lot and at almost 191xxx miles it ran flawlessly (just maintain it properly). Certainly it's not as fun on the street but if you never plan on utilizing the power of the fz6, ever, then I would recommend the vstrom. It shifts smoother than the notoriously clunky fazer (maybe I'm just really bad at it), and the posture is almost too comfy. The windshield my brother had was adjustable and came up pretty far, and helped a lot compared to my naked fz6. For your long trips to the mountain I would say the vstrom wins in this category as well, since it's more tour-based than the fz6. Note that the vstrom is 2 cylinder so it's slightly clunky at low rpms but buzziness never fazed me (punny) while riding it. The fz6 is slightly buzzy for me in low-mid range rpm, but once it's in the high end it's like butter. The Vstrom is straight up seating posture, very comfortable. You mentioned "quietly and smoothly" as your interests for riding, and stock wise the fazer is a tad louder than the vstrom, much more so in the higher rpms. All in all I'd recommend the v-strom considering your mentioned tastes. It's much more comfortable in the long hauls, less intense on the aggressivness, and easier to ride. It was like riding a tricycle after riding my fz6 all day. The only reason I don't have a vstrom is because I love the twisties and going fast :spank: If you want relaxed, simple, and low-key cruising, i'd go with the vstrom.

p.s. I love the fz6 so please don't kick me off the forum for recommending otherwise! :ban:

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned both. I had an original fazer (fzs600) but wanted to try other things. I tried lots of other bikes, ended up on a weestrom.View attachment 37827
As you can see it was fully tricked out.
This bike is a real do everything bike I loved it. Its the most fun bike when cornering, I think the high up position exaggerates the lean angles. 2 flaws with the vstrom. Firstly the suspension has so much travel that when you brake there is loads of fork dive, it drove me a bit mad. Second is the standard screen buffets so badly above 60mph it feels like you are head banging at a rock concert. I got a sport screen which was fine. A neighbour of mine with the same bike has a laminar lip screen and loves it.

But I missed that rush of acceleration you get from the fazer. As I did little or no touring and only a little off road, I decided to get the newer fz6 fazer and don't regret it. It's very nearly as comfortable but loads more fun.

Depends what you are after, all round sensible package or more fun street orientated package. You need to ask yourself how much touring or off road you will be doing?

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive owned both and would say that it all comes down to what you want, a cadilliac truck, a very comfortable torquey, go anywhere workhorse (dl650) or a subaru wrx, a small, very quick, very fun, sporty all arounder (fz6)
Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
They are so different that the question is difficult to answer.

Perhaps this will help - go to Motorcycle Ergonomics, put in the FZ6 and the DL650, punch in your height and inseam, and look at the riding position. They really are quite different. I prefer the FZ6, I like a little forward lean to keep the weight off my bum, and to get my body moving in the twisties.

Functionally, they have the same 250 mile tank range, centerstand, chain drive. But the powerplants are miles apart, with the FZ6 really coming alive at higher RPMs.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You say you had your heart set on a vstrom then find a vstrom. The FZ has a pretty sweet engine and it's a great looking bike. But the stock suspension is just adequate, the stock seat is terrible for long rides and the bike buzzes when the rpm's hit the meaty spot.

It doesn't matter what others think. If you want a smooth running bike that is comfortable on long rides and work good for all road conditions then the vstrom may be the bike.

If you really want a bike that has a engine that likes to rev and don't mind doing some hop up then maybe give the FZ6 a test ride.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my heart set on a Vstrom 650, but I came across an FZ6 available. Just wondering who has ridden both & might tell me your experiences. I'll be on pavement all the time, I just liked the Vstrom because it is light, pretty nimble, and just fun. I'll need a touring windshield because I like riding quietly and smoothly. Almost all my trips will be to the mountains & consist of 800-1000 miles minimum. How does the riding posture compare? Are the FZs buzzy at cruising speeds? I didn't really know where to post this so I thought I would start here... Thanks for any replies!

Sounds like this should be an easy call. You're looking for a bike that's smooth, comfortable for long trips, and fun. That's the Wee-strom. If your criteria was biased toward performance, I could see the FZ6 being the better choice. But since you didn't mention acceleration or handling, there's no contest. Get the Wee. The ergos on the FZ6 aren't as good for touring and the stock seat and screen won't meet your needs.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the fz, but the vstrom is a more practical and better fit for me. The fz handles great, great power, and comfortable. The vstrom does the same, but much more docile. Softer suspension, relaxed ergos, and the transmission is always better on a suzuki. Even my 30K+ miles gs500 shifted better than the fz at 32K. My current fz and drz are a toss up day to day, outing to outing. The drz shifts smoother also, and the torque (little bit it has) is so much eariler on... it's a blast.

I'll be taking the fz this afternoon, simply because I have some I-state travel to do, and it sucks on the drz. Now, on the way home, I'll be having a blast on AL-25, through the curves and tree covered hills. No bike will hate you on this road.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
this was my debate also... as you can see i ended up on a fazer. the engines are totally different the 4 of the yami is smoother than the twin of the strom but the strom is torquier. i have a yami touring screen on mine and there is almost no wind upright and im 6'0'' if price matters FZ's will be cheaper. the strom has a better stock seat but the yami gel seat is pretty comparable. id agree with the others and say you'd have to test ride both for a bit then decide.

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, I agree, I gotta ride an fz before I decide. Everybody likes something different. I just wanted some feedback from others. I've been out of streetbiking for 10 years & getting started again.I found a Vstrom for one of my buddies and we drove 250 miles to get it about 3 weeks ago & I rode it about 150 miles bringing it back home. Well, that lit the fire again, so here I am.:rolleyes:D I didn't even know the FZ6 existed til the first of the week when I stopped by the Yamaha dealership. That's how I knew I liked the Strom but knew nothing of the FZ6. It seemed like an affordable fun bike, maybe just not for me. I wanted something fun in the twisties, but it's gotta be comfortable for the 4 hours it takes me to get there and 4 hours back. I certainly appreciate all the replies. Right now, it's kinda looking like the Strom being as I'm 50 yrs old, 6'1", 200 lbs and had 2 back surgeries.:D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you I would also consider looking into the fz8 as well a little bigger and for your size would be more comfortable then the 6

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
I owned a DL650 for the last 2 years before trading it for my FZ this past spring. It's an excellent bike, maintenance is hassle-free, very reliable. With that kind of distance you'll be riding the Wee is the way to go. I didn't get as much of it's all around use that it's intended for, wasn't crazy about its looks, and craved a bit more top-end.

It's definitely capable in the twisties and very comfortable on the highway. Seating position is nearly perfect for a naked/standard/dual purpose bike. I wasn't crazy about how tall it was, though. It feels nice to sit up high when you're on the highway, but with that large gas tank it can feel a bit top heavy, and while I'm tall-ish, I'm not a big guy by any means. The top-heaviness can lead to some serious instability when hitting crosswinds, and that was a daily problem for me in Oklahoma. I was also a little disappointed in the exhaust note, for such a roaring V-Twin the stock pipes sound like a sewing machine. Slip-ons can be had, but not for cheap.

Dual headlights are a huge plus, liked that it had a "pass" button, 19" front tire is great in the rain and on rough pavement, gearbox is smooth, passenger seat is much bigger for 2-up riding, luggage rack is a nice feature, and off the line torque is good.

They are both bikes capable of handling multiple styles of riding, with the Strom being a bit more versatile and long-distance oriented at the cost of high-rev power. The FZ6 has a bit of wickedness buried in that engine. It can handle light-duty touring and daily commuting, and it really rewards you for cracking open that throttle.

I'm glad I made the switch, but I'll never regret buying the V-Strom. It will be the benchmark for all future purchases.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have bought a V-strom if it was going to be used more than 50% of the time for touring...as it were I have a full time job and spend more time commuting the twisties than touring so the FZ6 fits my bill.

The FZ6 is significantly better for carving the corners and mountain roads. I'm actually getting ready to take an 1800 mile tour of VA/TN/GA/SC/NC next week on my FZ6. It is more than up to the task but I kinda wish I had a real tourer bike for next week. That aside the other 40+ weeks I ride every year is better done on the FZ6.

The V-strom I rode was a 2006 as well. It felt good around town but a bit underpowered on the highway will full luggage, even the FZ6 feels stronger on the highway above 65 mph. That may have a lot to do with aerodynamics as well due to the more upright stance of the V-strom.

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...I went and rode the FZ Sunday. It's now in my garage.;) I absolutely loved it. So I'll see if I can get her tuned to me. Half the fun for me is working on them so now I have a project. Thanks for all the replies, see you on the road.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and lemme guess that sudden neck jerking acceleration sold you

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Congrats on the purchase! The FZ was heavy on my mind when I purchased the Strom, but I never found the opportunity to test ride one. If I had I'm not so certain I would have walked away with the Wee.

:welcome:

and

:needpics:

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the power and smoothness sold me. I'm working on the wind noise issue now- I've got a 24" Cee Bailey ordered. We'll see how that does...and I'll try to get some pics up.