macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, I don't own an FZ6-yet. I'm not a newbie, prolly just a born again
newbie. Had a couple of RD350's (loved'm) then bought a brand new FZ600
in first year of production ('86) an awesome machine that I sold to buy
furniture when I decided to co-habitate with the wife. So I guess I'm a Yamaha
man. The furniture is long gone and now the wife is gone, so it's well past time
to get back on two wheels (20 years). I've been reading up on mid size sport/touring
machines and naturally was drawn to the FZ6. I love the look of
it, have sat comfortably on one for awhile at a bike show, but it's an
important decision I should make with my head, rather than my Yamaha fan
heart. I plan to use this bike as an everyday machine, and take a few long trips
per year, so it will have a touring windshield and some bags. I have a couple
of friends that I'll ride with, both saying to stay away from an inline four
machine if looking at any long touring. They have a WeeStrom and a Versys,
both twins, with fairly narrow engine setups, and comparable machines
to the FZ6.

My Questions:

1- with feet on the pegs for a long cruise, are the legs in or out of the wind?

2- on long rides, how is the groin area? feel stretched from straddling that wide engine package? or is it ok?

3- I've read about the engine guard/highway peg mod, anyone done it and used it on long cruises?
is there a heat issue on the ankles and inner calfs? again, how's the groin?

These are things I can't figure out by sitting on one or test riding, they take
time to understand. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking this
may be an issue with the upright riding position of the FZ6. With clip on bars
and rear set pegs on a pure sport machine, engine width is not an issue.
I don't want to buy one and discover the engine width is truly an issue, nor do
I want to buy an ugly-ass Kawasaki or Suzuki.

Last edited:
Your story sounds similar to mine, I had an '86 FZ750 then got married and was off the bike for 15 years. Then last year I bought an FZ6.

I rode 3500 miles in a week in march on it. No issue with groin. Yes, the legs get cramped from being in the same position for so long. I tend to put my legs up on my frame sliders just for a change of position. My butt was sore most of the time as my seat sucks.

The engine width is not an issue at all, in fact this is the first time i've heard it brought up.

I think your butt will be sore long before your groin is. Unless you stop too quickly.

The tank isn't all that wide where it meets the seat. Only time Ive had drama's/problems with the groin area on the FZ is when I laned right on top of the tank (from an unexpected brief 'airborne' moment).

TBH wouldn't call it an issue with heat, but you do notice a small amount of heat behind your right thigh, where the pipe bends back underneath the seat.

Have found the seat to be uncomfortable after say, 6-8 hours of riding in kevlar lined riding jeans/cargo's with normal underwear. This works for me, I no longer wear normal underwear beneath the riding jeans/cargo's but my cycling bib shorts underneath when im off on an all dayer and have no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies guys..quick bump to fish for more opinions.....

and audible, nice bike and a good deal....the trip from SoCal to
Eastern Ontario would be a memorable one, appreciate the offer,
if it's still available in October when I return from Kandahar I'll see

Yep legs are in the wind. Its a compromise bike. It doesnt have the intense scapel focus of a full on sport/race machine, nor the comfort of a full tour machine. Its the new Universal Japanese Motorcycle. It just does everything fairly well, and consistently works.

Have found the seat to be uncomfortable after say, 6-8 hours of riding in kevlar lined riding jeans/cargo's with normal underwear. This works for me, I no longer wear normal underwear beneath the riding jeans/cargo's but my cycling bib shorts underneath when im off on an all dayer and have no problems whatsoever.

I've thought about doing that too, because I've had my but go numb and my legs get a little rubbery after a early season long ride.

Back