fz6 purchase question

lowell

Nothing in moderation.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to tap into your extensive fz6 knowledge to help me make the smartest purchase. I'm looking to get my first fz6 soon. I've owned a couple of other small (360-550cc) street bikes. My budget is 3-4K dollars. Preferably low 3's so that I have some funds to gear up on safety stuff.

So here goes...

Knowing that an expensive valve job is due sometime around 24K miles, it makes sense to me to buy a bike with fairly low mileage. I'm thinking around 4-8K miles. Yes?

I can't quite get clear read on the optimal year. Are the 2001-2006 bikes as good...better...less desirable than the 2007-2011 bikes? I see that from 07> the engine was de-tuned a little. But they optimized the fuel injection (FI) system mapping, redesigned fairing and windscreen, new instrument cluster with analog tachometer and digital speedometer (similar to the FZ1), new four-piston monoblock brake calipers for the front brake, alumite-finished front forks with revised damping, a three-way catalytic converter, a new seat design, a new rear swingarm, and new passenger footpegs. Suggestions on pros/cons of year of manufacture would be very helpful.

I'm amazed at how much more expensive bikes are in Southern California. I'm considering traveling to get a bike. Bikes that are for sale for $3500 across the country have a $5000 asking price here. The problem is that's not quite enough of a difference to offset the cost of travel. With the additional cost of the travel, and my time, I will be almost right back at the SoCal prices.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Lowell

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems the majority of people, including myself, who went to have valves checked often found nothing wrong or not enough to cause concern. I would be more concerned with re-greasing/replacing bearings, swapping fork oil and seals, changing plugs, coolant, and tires at that high mileage. IMHO :D

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Former So Cal native here, when I was looking for my bike, I thought So Cal had cheaper prices but higher mileage.

I like the look of the 07 - 09, but ended up with an 06. I am happy, but I'm not ripping up the twisties and canyons of Chicago!

Keep looking for a good price, especially now that fall is here. You may find a bargain like I did. Good luck!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I'd get an 07+ if you can for a good price. They did not detune the motor for that year. Honestly the only thing I don't like about the S2 is the cats and o2 sensor.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought but you can do the valves yourself, just takes time and a little precision really. i know lots of people pay the shop but its a good way to save some $$