FZ6 or FZ6r for touring

mfletch69

Reaction score
www.fletchersales.com
I ride an FJR1300 and want my 17 year old son to join me on some trips. These would be the 5 day, 2000 mile variety. The FZ6 looks perfect for this. I would be throwing on a larger windshield, risers, and some bags.

Which one would be best for this? I understand the FZ6 is a bit faster that the "R""...is this correct? We ride pretty fast and need something that can keep up.

Is the fairing on the "R" that much better that the regular FZ6?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
The regular old FZ6 makes something like 20 more hp, yes, but it's the same basic motor so I think that comes in exchange for better torque down low...?

I'd recommend an FZ6, a Cal-Sci windshield, the 1"-up-1"-back bar risers (unless he's got really long arms), and most of all an aftermarket seat, Corbin or TS. Stock seat is torture for long distances.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a comparison from Yamaha's site the 2011 FZ6r vs the 2009 FZ6. In my opinion the FZ6 is a better bike. Also the FZ6 and FZ6R are not the same bike just one with fairings and one without.
Some of the differences

2011 Yamaha FZ6R Specifications+Comparison

FZ6:
Wet Weight: 459lb
tank size: 5.1 gal
Suspenion/Rear: adjustable preload (great for touring if he has alot of gear/camping equipment)
Rear tire size: 180/55-ZR17
Seat height: 31.3in
Width 29.5in
Torque about 46.5lbs/ft
hp about 97 hp
Frame aluminum alloy die cast frame

FZ6R
Wet Weight: 470lb
tank size: 4.6 gal
Suspenion/Rear: non adjustable
Rear tire size: 160/60-ZR17
Seat height: 30.9in
Width 30.3in
Torque about 39 lbs/ft
I have sites claiming anywhere from 64-79hp
Frame steel tubular frame

I did not even get into the swing-arm, exhaust, braking system or any of the other multitudes of differences between the two bikes.

With all this being said the FZ6R is still a good bike but for touring I think your son will be happier with the FZ6 and like Cap'n said get the touring windscreen and also think of investing in a throttle locker great for those flat open roads. I have these and love them for long road trips
http://throttlemeister.com/

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspeccompare/619/1886/0/compare.aspx

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For touring, I would favor the FZ6. I think that you would be able to add and purchase touring accessories much easier versus the FZ6R. Plus the power and fuel range (250 miles ) is a plus.

All the grunt work has been done by most members, you can read for days what you can do to the FZ6 to set up as a touring bike. Communication, saddle bags, GPS, 12V Power supply, extra fuel, you name it, just use the search function.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
am i the only one who gets the heebie jeebies reading this? how fast does one have to go that they start to worry if their 17 YEAR OLD SON will be able to keep up on an fz6r?

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
The regular old FZ6 makes something like 20 more hp, yes, but it's the same basic motor so I think that comes in exchange for better torque down low...?

I'd recommend an FZ6, a Cal-Sci windshield, the 1"-up-1"-back bar risers (unless he's got really long arms), and most of all an aftermarket seat, Corbin or TS. Stock seat is torture for long distances.

I would also need these set-up, where can I get all these stuff; Cal-sci windshield, Bar risers and the comfort seats, TS? Abourt how will it cost for each of these items and where?

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll play devil's advocate. I'll vote for the FZ6R for your 17yo son. The benefits of the FZ6R over the FZ6 is that it is fast enough, but less difficult to get into trouble. The FZ6R is more newbie friendly, slightly lower in height and narrower (how big is your son? height/weight). Also, the FZ6R has a full fairing and adjustable ergos (seat height and handlebar position) which would provide more wind protection. The FZ6R is slightly more fuel efficient and has an easier clutch to handle. I think realistic range will be similar

Yes, overall the FZ6 has more power, slightly better components and in my opinion better looking. Also, you should be able to pick up a used 2007/2008 for less than you would find a used FZ6R (not too many out there). For the highway, there are better choices such as GSX650F.

My flaming 2 cents.. :cool:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO: I do not think you can go wrong with either bike. Naturally I am prejudice because my FZ6 is the most factory-perfect bike that I have ever ridden or owned, (8 of them now).
The "R" is a great looking bike and if peer pressure is a concern, the "R" appears to be more of a typical crotch rocket.
The FZ6 has more ponies and is lighter. Despite the crotch rocket appearance the "R" is a very comfortable bike as well.
My biased and unprofessional opinon would be the FZ6.
Whatever, just be careful and enjoy life! I'm glad you are spending this quality time with your son. Good luck!

mfletch69

Reaction score
www.fletchersales.com
Thanks for the replies. As to the heebie jeebies....no worries. Very safe rider here and 40k miles in the last 2 years. Just want something for him that can handle some push so he is not left behind and stretching beyond his or the bike's capabilities. He is 5'11, 165# and learned to ride on a little 250 Ninja. I think the FZ6 is the way I will go...

Last edited:

mfletch69

Reaction score
www.fletchersales.com
I left for Big Bend Nat'l Park on my FJR1300 last Wed...meeting a friend from Birmingham, in Covington, LA. for the ride west. On the way, I rode through the hardest rain I think I have ever encountered. When i met him in Covington, my FJR developed a voltage problem and we decided to limp it to the Baton Rouge Yamaha Dealer. After some discussion, it was decided that it would be risky to ride to such a remote place as Big Bend with the feej acting up....

I considered my options...
Photo-0075.jpg

...AND BOUGHT A USED 2009 FZ6 and continued on.
Photo-0076.jpg

The FZ came with Givi tour sheild and a full FirstGear luggage setup. I put 2700 miles on it in 5 days. It performed really well and hung with my buddies FJR on some very long, high-speed desert rides.

Photo-0078.jpg

This bike will be perfect for my son. Thanks for all of the input

Last edited: