FZ6 maintenance package

chau

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks,

My dealer is quoting $1400 for a 3 year maintenance program where all kinds of service, parts (oil, filter,...) and labor are literally free. Deal expires in next 6 days.

What do you guys think?

Some questions that are lingering in my head:
1. will the company stay afloat for next 3 years given the current economic situation? Its a one off dealer, not a chain.
2. will I be able to do most of this myself? (though new, I kind of love fiddling with stuff, been successful till now with whatever I fiddled). Needless to say you guys are always there for my rescue.
3. what does other dealers offer?
4. what is your experience with this kind of a package?

thanks again!

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
1400 dollars to upkeep a new bike for three years? Hmmm... I haven't had to buy tires or anything yet so don't know the price (if that's included), and you can do the oil changes and other maintenance yourself. Personally I wouldn't go for it.

chau

Reaction score
Visit site
good point, as far as I understood, tire change labor should be part of the deal but not the tire price itself.

Last edited:

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
good point, as far as I understood, tire change labor should be part of the deal but not the tire price itself.

Right, plus I've had my 2008 for a little under a year and as far as maintenance costs like oil, filter, etc., hard to estimate but nowhere near what it would take to come close to 1400 over three years.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I would pass. I have had my bike for a year and had no problems with it at all. Anyone can lube a chain, change oil, check fluid levels and fill them when needed. Yamaha's are great bikes partly mostly because they perform great, but also because they don't need much upkeep. Just get on and enjoy!
Cheers

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the question is do you want to do the wrenching? Then the question, as you stated, will they be around?

The bike is pretty simple, pretty much change the oil and lube the chain. Once in a blue moon sync the carbs and even less adjust the valves.

I'd say pass...If they do fold you're SOL.

That said I did spend $1200 on a five year extended warranty on my Buell. A Buell ain't no Yamaha. It also includes a tire and wheel warranty. Nail = new Pirelli Corsa III tire for free. I see nails in my future every 4,500 miles....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If you buy a tire at Cycle Gear its only $20 to mount and balance with the wheel off the bike.

W

wrightme43

Waste o money man. I spend 35 or so on oil changes once or twice a year, a can of chain lube is what 6 bucks? It may be great for people who dont maintain their own bikes, but they are realy very simple machines

spyterm4n

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok since im a tech i will give you some perspective.

Oil Change: @ first 600 miles, then every 4000 miles
-Motul 10w-40 Double Ester Full Synthetic = $67
-Yamaha Genuine Oil Filter = $14 (changed every other oil change)
-Shop Labor = 0.5hr @ $95/hr

Air Filter Change: @ roughly 16000 miles
-Yamaha Genuine Air Filter = $36 or $44 for K&N filter (recommended)

Radiator Flush: @ yearly intervals
-Coolant = $14

Chain and Sprocket: @ 35000 miles or when excessively noisy and clicking
-D.I.D. ERV3 530 Titanium Chain and Sprocket Kit = $140
-Shop Labor = 0.8hr - 1.0 @ $95/hr

Chain Adjustment: @ 500 miles, inspect and adjust (spec 1.77 - 2.17 in free play)
-Shop Flat Rate = $20
-Motul Factory Line Chain Lube = $9.50/can (one can can do a lot of chain lubing)
-Motul Chain Clean = $7.50/can (one can can do a lot of chain lubing)

Lamp Bulbs: @ various times
-Bulbs = $variable
Shop Labor = $variable

That is about all your $1400 will cover really, other than head light adjustment and tire mounting labor (which is usually $40 - 60)

Now, unless you are a technician with a pretty well stocked rollaway box and a shop manual, I would say go for it or explore private shop service package plans. E.g. My rates are cheeper than these factory rates

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not trying to put any shops out of business but for regular maintenance you don't need a well stocked roll-a-way or 10 years of MC mechanic experience. You can find copies of the service manual around in either electronic or paper versions for next to nothing. If you can read, like to fiddle, have some common sense and have a decent set of tools (or friends who do) you can do your own regular maintenance. The FZ seems pretty bullet proof so unless you are the unlucky type I'd skip any extended warranty as well.

That's just me and I'm a cheap bastard :D

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd think you would have to ride a LOT of miles in the next three years to make it worthwhile. That's assuming that mileage is unlimited. If I had $1400 for maintenance and no tools I'd take the money and buy a nice cheap box, a big set of Craftsman mechanics tools on sale, some decent ratchets, a torque wrench, some metric hex bits, a morgan carbtune, and a shop manual. You'll be able to do any normal maintenance and have a lot of money left over for consumables for the next three years maintenance.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
biggest thing is how much you feel comfortable doing/want to do! And of course how many miles you ride a year....

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Freakin' waste of $$$$$$

Do it yourself and get to know your bike. If you have questions along the way, jump on here and ask. Keep your patients under control and don't fudge on a tool!!! If you need a tool, go buy it. Don't cheat yourself on trying to use an adjustable wrench or something like that. Just save up some cash and go buy the proper tool and do it yourself. You'll learn to appreciate your work and enjoy your bike more.

Well that's my 3 cents...

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
you must understand that this is a business whos sole purpose is to make money....that means take unnesessary money from you. Do it your self.