FZ6 Ignition Cover

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I was stupid. Laid my bike over at very low speed, and scratched the RH side ignition cover and snapped off the right foot peg. While it was a great excuse to buy a new set of footpegs, I don't know what to do about the ignition/timing cover. I have a MY09 FZ6N, that is my pride and joy...

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll take a picture and upload it - it is only a small scratch, but is scratched through to the aluminum.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
When I nicked up the crankcase cover on the left side, I just removed the cover, sanded it down, and spray painted the entire thing Flat Black. Turned out really well. Not bad for 5 dollars. I still have the paint in my garage if you want to know what I used.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning on doing exactly that - I've got some matt kill rust that should turn out pretty well perfect. Thanks for the help mate... I am absolutely distraught - at a standstill, I clicked it up into neutral to zip up my jacket, let out the clutch, and it jerked out of my hands in a split second - guess I hadn't quite clicked down into first.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, I forgot about temperature - but new the rest. Thanks again mate - I'll stop by the the auto paint store in the next couple of days.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with the repair. Pretty soon the bike will look as if nothing ever happened! :thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Grab yourself some oggynobs, they'll prevent this kind of damage particularly from drops. They cost a bit, but two drops and you have well and truly covered what you spent in saved parts!

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Grab yourself some oggynobs, they'll prevent this kind of damage particularly from drops. They cost a bit, but two drops and you have well and truly covered what you spent in saved parts!

Thanks bud - I'd already ordered a set, and am just waiting on shipping!

Conversation the other day with a friend.
Me: "I've ordered a set of sliders man, you should do the same - if you drop your brand new gs, you're gonna be up for one hell of a repair bill"
Him: "what are you getting them for? Why should I bother"
Me: "Cause I know that I'm gonna lay my bike down at some point. Either my fault or someone elses"
Him: "nah, I'm not gonna drop my bike, or lay it down"
Me: "why bother with a helmet or your gear then?..."

But thanks again man - I appreciate any input.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea alot of people think that way, I balked at the cost when I got my bike but was convinced by the dealer. Best investment ever IMO.

Let us know how you go touching up the paint, have you looked into replacing the panel? Probably a waste of money but you might be able to get one in good condition second hand.
I've touched up bangs and scrapes on my old car with a can of matched spray paint and it can work out alright.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you choose to replace, Woodcraft make an aftermarket cover, with it's own, replaceable "slider" attached...

I have one on my black bike...is top quality kit, and cheaper than the OEM replacement cover...
View attachment 34828

And for the other side...a CF engine guard....
View attachment 34829

Both, just as good an investment as set of frame sliders.... The CF engine guard cost about $40 Australian, and is real CF, 7mm thick, and as good as it gets in terms of a crash protector...i know, cause i have given one the ultimate test! :(

Good luck.

:thumbup:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to both of you - I jumped online and found this (link below) I'm assuming this is the product. Thanks a bunch for that - found an OEM one on eBay for only $75... With about $75 shipping - so for about $15 less (delivered), I'd get a better product! Gotta LOVE the dollar sitting better than parity against the greenback.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=60-0445RB

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to both of you - I jumped online and found this (link below) I'm assuming this is the product. Thanks a bunch for that - found an OEM one on eBay for only $75... With about $75 shipping - so for about $15 less (delivered), I'd get a better product! Gotta LOVE the dollar sitting better than parity against the greenback.

www.woodcraft-cfm.com - YamR60305R6SRHSIgnitionTriggerCoverAssblyBlkWGasketSkidPlateKitChoice240H

Yep! Get one of those....they are very well made, top quality kit, well worth the extra $15, and your "new" bike, will still look new, except better!

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
shssssh, i dont think he actually realises he has the mod bug yet....

:BLAA:

Yeah, no, I've caught your 'disease'. FE w/ indicators in the mail, Rim tape in the mail, yamaha stickers for swingarm in the mail. New valve caps, new footpegs, am thinking of new lines and reverse end mirrors. Gonna shave down my seat, plus get some 'racing stripes' to run over front fender and tank OR get it all repainted all black. Thinking of getting black levers & rear pegs. Waiting to hear from a bloke about yellow silicone hose kit to replace mine, else I might go stainless from wild hair. I actually like the look of the cans on the bike, so might get a ghost system that slips inside the framing...

If it weren't for this forum, I'd be a lot richer.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Yep! Get one of those....they are very well made, top quality kit, well worth the extra $15, and your "new" bike, will still look new, except better!

I dont think that will fit you bike? Yamaha R6 2003-05
I had to replace mine as well. I got one off Ebay for 20 bucks for a 2009. It was not the same, some small differences that make it useless on a 2007.

On the backside of the cover is ignition pick up assembly with the hex bolts to undo, I had to use one of those impacts you hit with a hammer to get it loose. Use some blue locktite when putting it all back together. You will also need some yama bond for the area the wire goes in.

cover.jpg

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to prove I am Scottish really I dropped my FZ6 gently onto the stator cover and scratched it a little through to the aluminium. My repair material of choice was a black Sharpie. Can't see it unless you are looking for it !! Easy to apply and CHEAP !!

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to prove I am Scottish really I dropped my FZ6 gently onto the stator cover and scratched it a little through to the aluminium. My repair material of choice was a black Sharpie. Can't see it unless you are looking for it !! Easy to apply and CHEAP !!

Lol, guess it's not just me. But I'm gonna end up looking for it everytime I get on the bike, cause I'm a bit of a neurotic. But thanks for the suggestion man - I'm open to them all :)

To Kamloops,

I've actually got an 09, but you make a valid point. I might end up calling Woodcraft (in a few weeks) and asking them for the right one - that way I can send it back if it's wrong. Just gotta figure out how to call internationally without paying through the nose now.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Lol, guess it's not just me. But I'm gonna end up looking for it everytime I get on the bike, cause I'm a bit of a neurotic. But thanks for the suggestion man - I'm open to them all :)

To Kamloops,

I've actually got an 09, but you make a valid point. I might end up calling Woodcraft (in a few weeks) and asking them for the right one - that way I can send it back if it's wrong. Just gotta figure out how to call internationally without paying through the nose now.

Yes I would contact them as they dont show one for 2009 and they are not the same as previous years

Last edited: