FZ6 Engine

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like WOLFMAN said go -1 front and +2 in the rear and all you have to do is hold on. Don't forget, the motor in the FZ6 is the same as the R6 but tuned down a little.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned both ('05 & '07 FZ6's, '04 SV). The SV engine is a great engine but with the light flywheels (for a V-twin) it complains below 3,000 rpm if you are not in 1st gear. I found the ergos on the SV too cramped.

The FZ is a little buzzy at certain rpms but not objectionable. The newer models have better low end response than the '05's. I like the riding position and th efact you have a fairing on the FZ. The SV-s model was unridable for me.

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
my roomate had an sv 650s and i have my 04 fz6....i smoke him every time...the sv has less power, and is flat out outperformed by the fz....we have drag raced them and i left him way back....

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 56 years old and bought one of the very first FZ6's in the US.
Why? I like the upright riding, but I like the sport bike feel, I love the
look, and the engine. (no matter what any book says try it, and you will see
there is no lack of power anywhere) They are completely gentle, unless
you romp on it, like getting on the freeway. That's just a rush, what could
I say! Also 45-50 MPG on regular gas! Insurance is very cheap for us older
guys too. I do also own an 07 FJR 1300 for cruising on the highway, they
are too heavy around town. The FZ6 is much more pure fun just to ride
around. The fun factor is very high on these bikes.

cjhudson101

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 FZ6, and I love my bike. I test drove a 2007 FZ6 and there was a small but noticable difference in the lower end. Would I go out and buy a newer model because of the difference? No. Plus I like the silver engine instead of the blacked out engine.

My sister owns a SV650, and we have gone out riding a couple times together. When I rode her bike it was lighter, smaller, and fely a little more nimble. However, I found myself having to shift way more often on her bike just because the gears aren't as tall as the FZ6. I also felt a little less stable in leans but this may have been due to the extra muscle required in leans on an FZ6 (which translates to more stable for me...)

When we traded back bikes she commented that my bike felt like riding in a luxury car compared to hers.

On the way home from this specific outing she coerced me to go heads up with her on a straight away. It was a little bit of a rolling start, but I destroyed her up to about 110mph when we both backed off. The amount of shifting she had to do and lack of shifting I had to do made a huge difference I think...

As for around town driving, I think that the FZ6 is a little jerky on the throttle, but that may be my model year (05). Not sure how the SV handles around town driving, when I rode one we were mostly cruising.

I prefer the FZ6, but I wish it came with more of a naked/street fighter look. The seating position and amount of power (when you want to call on it) is just right for me, and this is my first bike.

I agree with someone earlier who mentioned the in line 4 sounds better, I had a friend do a fly by at like 120 and you could hear the bike coming a long ways away.

Just my 2 cents.

--Chris

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like WOLFMAN said go -1 front and +2 in the rear and all you have to do is hold on. Don't forget, the motor in the FZ6 is the same as the R6 but tuned down a little.

Hey i only said go minus -1 on the front! but i like your thinking! :thumbup:

nskitts

Reaction score
Visit site
I have found that I can lug the engine down to low revs in 6th gear and it will pull from 30MPH just fine...it's not gonna pull your arms off but it will pull without shifting. That's more than I can say about the VStrom 1000 that I had, it was a big V-Twin and would not tolerate that low of a speed in 6th gear, matter of fact, it was not happy in 6th unless it was 70MPH, but the FZ6 is geared lower and the gear ratios seem to be pretty close together to me. You won't be disappointed.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Maintenancewise, on the SV650 you only have two spark plugs to replace, two sets of valves to measure and adjust, use slightly less oil and coolant. However the valve inspection intervals are shorter. On the fz6 there are an extra two spark plugs and a lil bit more oil to use. Valve clearance inspections intervals are much much longer on the FZ. The rear tire on the SV650 is smaller in width than the FZ6 so it could be slightly cheaper to replace depending on the manufacturer. Also from what I have read, most 600cc sport bikes handle better with the 160 rear, but for aethetic reasons, most manufacturers choose to use the wider sexier 180. Now does this mean the sv650 handles better than the FZ6? I wouldnt know...

Performancewise, I've only ridden 4 cylinder engines and I just love revs. Sometimes it is frustrating especially in heavy traffic when I am constantly changing gears to find the powerband, but I have gotten used to it and in fact, started to like shifting. Now if I just wanted to ride and not focus so much on shifting I guess this is where a torquey twin like the sv650 would be great. As for sound, I like all motorcycle noises, but I kinda prefer the rumble of an L-twin to the screaming waaaah waaah I4s. Then theres vibration issues. The fz6 is a bit buzzy. Theres no denying it. On the other hand the sv650 is a bit rocky at idle, but once it gets reving I've been told its uber smooth. Gas mileage, i think the sv650 would probably be better, but not by much. If going super fast acceleration and speed is your thing then the FZ6 would be more than happy to deliver. This doesn't mean the SV650 is slow, its just not as fast (i believe its 76HP vs 98).

So to conclude, the FZ6 is a super fun bike. I am never bored on it. However, if you want something with a bit of an easier learning curve and with no surprises, I'd go with the SV650. I dont think you can go wrong with either. If I had a choice I would buy both.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Those \\\"limitations\\\" don't change much. The bike has plenty of power for legal riding. Cruising in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear around town give you PLENTY of get up and go. I've never had a problem around town.

Absolutely! I commute to work during rush hour just about everyday which means I don't get many opportunities to run above 6k rpm, and I wouldn't say the FZ6 is lacking in torque. And for those few stretches where I can cut loose... well look out!

A while back a member here did a comparison with a buddy or dad's SV650. I thought it was a fairly level review with the FZ6 coming out ahead.

agutierrez

Reaction score
Visit site
I own both and have spent time on both now. (I out over 5,000 miles on an SV650S).

My opinion, power should have little to do with the decision making. Both bikes are fast enough to do whatever legal or illegal activities you want to. . Besides, you will naturally adjust your riding style and shift points to whichever bike you chose.

If you are looking for a bike around town, I perfer the FZ6 because of the ergonomics and riding style. There are advantages to the 4 cylinder, including a smoother running engine, better throttle response and other considerable advantages that help your commute.

the stance makes the bike more versitile, and more fun to ride for longer periods of time.

So to answer your question, Is more torque advantagous around town? Very little, if any, but all the other aspects of around town riding benifit the FZ6.

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I have had a twin cylinder sport bike and i have rode the sv650 in my opinion the FZ6 is an outstanding bike easy to ride and fun. If you like riding the twisties I think the fz would be the bike I would do it on. The high revs coming out of a corner there is nothing like it. As far as low end grunt the fz has no problem. I have an 08, I have had it since june of 08 and I have put 4700 miles on it so far if that is any idea to how comfortable it is. Just remember the bike pulls really well at the lower revs but you hit 7000 to 8000 revs hold on it turns into a monster. When you hit that rpm range which doesnt take much it is a whole different bike. I think you would enjoy wether in town or out cruising it is a super bike. Good Luck on your new bike purchase.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not about to recommend one over the other to you, but if the sitting stance/position on an SVS is not your cup of tea then you can replace those clip-on bars w/aftermarket ones that have you sitting more upright.
Specifically: LSL, Helibars & ConvertiBARs. Some of them aren't cheap tho'!
You can Google 'em.
Just FYI

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for your quick feedback. As a follow-up, I should probably say that I would like to have fun while not dramaticaly breaking the law (75mph in a 55mph zone would probably be my limit... I am old what can I say). In your opinion would a bike with more low end grunt be more fun under this limitation?
Remember, it's not the age, it's the mileage. If you really just want to plunk around, go with the SV, but coming off dirt bikes where you're probably used to giving yourself some thrills every now and then, go with the FZ every time. There's more than enough torque to pull you around, but when you pull up next to that SV, you can leave it for dead. Up to 75, of course. (By the way, you'd only be in second gear on the FZ)

Last edited:

protein anchor

Reaction score
Visit site
All I can state is that I weight in at a stout 330 lb. and my bike will roll just fine in town, up an 8% grade in 6th gear @ 40 MPH then to 55 MPH with little effort, wherever I want to go, I go, period. Keep in mind I am still in the break in period so I am taking it easy, vary RPM, little time above 7000, etc, so could imagine if I were to rev like some of these other guys what I would be posting. Plus, I think I read where some like to take off in second, so the FZ6 must have some low end for that sort of riding.

I would not worry about the power at all, except the speed the bike will take you to if you do not pay attention. :thumbup:

abg

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everybody for your feedback here. You have me convinced that the FZ is the way to go. It was really my initial preference but I allowed the magazine reviews to scare me off.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay...here's what he'll do:

1) Go out and get an FZ6.
2) Drive around a little bit.
3) Say out loud, "The magazine review was total bull ****..."
4) And then live happily ever after!

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
The first time I got on my FZ6, I couldn't believe how smooth the power delivery was. It has plenty of torque for errands around town (maintain a firm grip on the handle bars when accelerating). It is truly a different animal above 7,000 rpm. The engine "snarls" between 9-12,000 rpm. Handling is predictable as speed increases. The journey in search of flawless shifts, perfect curves and uninhabited on-ramps continues.

In my humble opinion this is the best looking bike in production. How many times have you been stopped at a gas station or a convenience store and had people come up to you and say "That is a beautiful motorcycle." "That is what a motorcycle should look like!" and "That is a good looking bike." ? Well, it happens with this motorcycle!