fz6 clutch trouble

ghugenberg

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought a 2005 fz6. The previous owner liked to work on it but didn't know what he was doing. I have fixed most of his botched mods except the clutch. It shifted very rough but smoothed out when I tightened the clutch cable except the clutch would not fully engage. I looked at the little lever on the crank case. It appeared to be lengthened. (not an un-common practice) I drilled a new pin hole and shortened the arm. The bike wouldn't start when in gear with the clutch in and stalled when putting it in gear. I screwed arround moving the arm on the shaft and got it working way better than before but it still was a little rough. I was too stupid to leave well enough alone. I drilled another hole and moved the pivot pin in farther. I marked exactly how it was so I could put it back if there was a problem. Now the bike stalls when I put it in gear and will not start while in gear with the clutch in. I have adjusted it a hundred different ways including back to the way it was. Is there some trick? I'd take it to the dealer but I can't drive it. Please help.
Thanks,
Greg
[email protected]

Last edited:
The giveaway is the stalling in gear...... there is an idiot switch that kills the motor, up on the clutch lever housing. The switch is not changing states between 'open' and 'closed'.

Look for that little spring loaded nub, sticking out from the housing. There is a tab extended from the clutch lever that should actuate it. The tab is bent, or the switch is sticky.

The switch is not telling the ECU when the clutch is engaged. It thinks the clutch is always out......

When it stalls when putting in gear, does it buck as if the clutch is still engaged?

Also check your kick stand safety switch because if it's not working properly and you engage a gear it will kill the engine.

Back