FZ6 2008 Battery replacement

jecht_sphere

Reaction score
Visit site
The main problem here is that I rarely ride it, is this a problem?

yes its is. rarely used battery doesnt last long as compared to that which is oftenly used.

i suggest... you buy a "battery tender" to charge your battery when you dont use the bike for sometime.

rocketgirl

2006 Yamaha FZ-6
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ-6. I've had problems with the battery from early on when I bought it. The dealer said the battery was fine and wouldn't replace it. It keeps discharging. I admit I store it for long periods of time and don't always keep the battery tender on it.

The battery I have is the Yuasa GT12B4. I can't use the BS version as it's too wide and won't fit in the tiny and tight battery compartment.

Long story short, it's been about 3 years since I bought the bike. I took it out on a 6 hour drive yesterday, no problems. Today I cranked it up, made 2 stops, no problems. On the 3rd stop my bike wouldn't start. When I hit the starter button, all it did was click.

I got a push from a guy, popped the clutch in 2nd gear to get it back home...that worked out just fine, thank goodness!

Got home, put the battery tender on it and it floated green (charged) within 15 minutes. I tried to start the bike, got power to the dash (the instrumentation and idiot lights turned on, clock was reset), it turned over once and then...more constant clicking!

A buddy of mine said that it could be a bad starter. He said the solenoid starts pulling more juice than the battery can store. He also said the starter will probably need to be removed from the bike and bench tested to be sure, but if that is the problem...I'll be half way through the labor cost by then.

I'm taking the battery to the Yamaha dealer tomorrow. I'm gonna pray it's just the battery.

Anyone have any feedback about this???

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its most likely the battery. It'll hold a surface charge however it takes more amperage to crank the bike over. Generally, most batteries have a life span of 3-4 years. I use a BMW battery charger on all my bikes when not in use, even with that, 4 years maximum life...

I bought my 07 used from my friend. The battery did the same thing (died)a week after delivery (I gather from sitting on the showroom floor without a battery tender). They replaced it under warranty (less than 100 miles on the clock), been fine ever since, about 6,000 miles now..

They'l do a load test on it, that'd be my bet..

Scott

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ-6. I've had problems with the battery from early on when I bought it. The dealer said the battery was fine and wouldn't replace it. It keeps discharging. I admit I store it for long periods of time and don't always keep the battery tender on it.

The battery I have is the Yuasa GT12B4. I can't use the BS version as it's too wide and won't fit in the tiny and tight battery compartment.

Long story short, it's been about 3 years since I bought the bike. I took it out on a 6 hour drive yesterday, no problems. Today I cranked it up, made 2 stops, no problems. On the 3rd stop my bike wouldn't start. When I hit the starter button, all it did was click.

I got a push from a guy, popped the clutch in 2nd gear to get it back home...that worked out just fine, thank goodness!

Got home, put the battery tender on it and it floated green (charged) within 15 minutes. I tried to start the bike, got power to the dash (the instrumentation and idiot lights turned on, clock was reset), it turned over once and then...more constant clicking!

A buddy of mine said that it could be a bad starter. He said the solenoid starts pulling more juice than the battery can store. He also said the starter will probably need to be removed from the bike and bench tested to be sure, but if that is the problem...I'll be half way through the labor cost by then.

I'm taking the battery to the Yamaha dealer tomorrow. I'm gonna pray it's just the battery.

Anyone have any feedback about this???

It is most likely the battery. AGM style batteries do not like to be discharged and then sit for long periods. The computers on our bikes always have a parasitic drain, and a tender is a must, or if you do not have a tender and the bike is going to sit longer than a few weeks, the battery should be disconnected. This is common to motorcycles, as the batteries tend to be on the small side, and do not have much reserve capacity. And MF/AGM batteries will test at the proper voltage, but fail a load test. There are lots of aftermarket replacements that will work fine. Batteries Plus carries the Odyssey brand, and they seem to be pretty decent batteries. Your dealer should be able to get a Parts Unlimited one too, or perhaps an Interstate.

Hope this helps!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I agree, it's the battery. That 'clicking' noise when trying to start is a clear indicator of not having enough juice to crank over the starter.

I almost had your exact situation a few months ago, including it starting up just fine to go riding, but wouldn't start after stopping for gas.

Sounds like your battery has packed it in and wont take/hold a charge any more.

I'm willing to be that a new battery will solve your problems!

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the battery on my '06 last spring...had a few times in the winter when it hesitated to turn over, i'd rather just not take the chance on it, esp since I bought the FZ used. I put in an Interstate, runs like a charm now. Installed the battery tender leads when I put in the battery as well, so i don't screw myself this winter.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride once or twice a week and have had my FZ for about a year... I ALWAYS hook up a battery tender after I park it...never had a battery issue. If you dont ride 4-5 times per week, Id get a battery tender.